Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Books on Hold: All the Sinners Bleed by S.A. Cosby Can't Come Soon Enough

 


I seem to always have somewhere between six and ten books on hold via my county library system, and I think I'm approaching my self-imposed upper limit again right now. And that's exactly how my "shiniest object" approach to reading always gets me in trouble because it seems like none of them are available for pickup for two or three weeks  and then they all appear at once or spread only over a week or two. Because so many of them have other people in line, that means I have two weeks to read the newest, most popular titles when I finally get my hands on a copy - and the very kind of pressure I'm trying to avoid these days is on full-burn before I realize it. But it's not all bad, because I'd be broke without a library to supply the bulk of my reading (plus shelf space is at a premium around here). 

Of all the holds I'm waiting on right now, the one I most look forward to receiving is S.A. Cosby's All the Sinners Bleed, the third book the author has published since his big breakthrough with Blacktop Wasteland in July 2020. That one was followed almost exactly one year later with Razorblade Tears (which, looking back is my favorite of the two). I've linked the titles shown here to my original reviews of the books if you are interested in learning more about each. These were followed last December by a reprinting of the novel Cosby wrote before he hit it so big, My Darkest Prayer. I have not read this one yet, but I do also have it on hold, and from what I understand, it's very good if perhaps not quite as gripping in the books that followed it.

All the Sinners Bleed features a black sheriff who dedicates his life to keeping the peace in a small southern, mixed-race community. As such, he is just as surprised as anyone that he got elected to the job in the first place, but not really surprised that neither the blacks nor the whites seem to trust him. Although it was just published on June 6, 2023, this one is already garnering major accolades from prestigious critics, reviewers, and newspapers around the country. Stephen King has even reviewed it for The New York Times, from what I understand. So far, at least, Cosby has written only standalones, but I'm kind of hoping that Sheriff Titus Crown turns out to be the character around which he can build a series of books. 

I even listened to a podcast based in London just this morning called Simon Mayo's Books of the Year that this week featured a forty-minute interview with Cosby about the new book. Mayo is calling it his favorite of 2023 to this point in the year. A click HERE should bring you to a simple way to find the podcast for a quick listen.


10 comments:

  1. The same thing happens with me and library holds! Right now I think I have about twelve books on hold that are all 'on order' and about to come in within the next month or so. And inevitably they're all going to come in at once...usually just after I've checked out ten books from the library. ;D I read Razorblade Tears last year (because of your recommendation) and really liked it; this new one sounds equally good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got one to pick up now, but still have the last three or four here and they need reading soon if I'm going to ever get them done in time to pass them on in a timely manner. We'll see how that goes.

      The new one from Cosy really does sound good to me...and so perfect a character for a longish series. As you know, Cosby is really gritty and doesn't shy away from some pretty rough themes and scenes, so I know he's not for everyone. Glad you liked Razorblade Tears.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read anything by S.A. Cosby yet. I am sure that it was the grittiness of his writings that I initially shied away from. He is still on a "maybe someday" list for me, but if I found one of his books at the book sale I am sure I would pick it up to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely worth a look so that you can judge the suitability of his work yourself. He's not afraid to tackle the really dark issues lurking out there, but he generally knows when to stop with the details. Of course, he always goes right up to the edge before stopping.

      Delete
  3. Happens to me too. Inevitably I feel compelled to read the ones that are "hot picks" (checkout period just seven days, no renewals) with other people waiting in line for them first, even if they're not quite what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get a full 14-day checkout period on the ones on hold - 6 weeks for the others - but when two or three of them show up twice during those two weeks, it doesn't help me a lot. :-) I guess it's just a part of human nature specific to avid readers like we all are.

      Delete
  4. Crosby is getting so much great buzz lately! I really need to give him a try. His books might be too gritty for me. We'll see.

    I feel you on the library holds. Why do they all come in at the same time? It's like a weird glitch in the Matrix or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cosby is definitely going to be a reach for some readers. Those who prefer the cozy style mystery to other styles will almost surely find him to be too much for them...and those who find it difficult to read about child abuse will likely have problems with this latest one from what I gathered from his interview. But if you enjoy the more noir style, he's your guy.

      Delete
  5. Yeah I've read Cosby's first two books ... and the new one sounds good too. Right now there's 78 holds on 3 copies at my library. Uh-oh. Might get it by fall ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that I'm number 28 on the hardcopy and 54 on the e-book. I placed holds on both and will cancel one when availability of the other looks imminent. I seem to be making steady progress on the hardcopy, but the e-book queue is very slow.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.