Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Razorblade Tears - S. A. Cosby


As I got deeper and deeper into S.A. Cosby’s Razorblade Tears, the author’s followup novel to the much-praised Blacktop Wastelands, the cynic in me began to whisper that Cosby must have been working from a “Woke Checklist” of sorts when he wrote this one. Just, for instance, consider the cast of characters: a black ex-con with a gay son, a white ex-con with a gay son, a beautiful little mixed-race girl, a trans-gender character, and a homophobic villain who associates with a white supremest motorcycle gang (Sons of Anarchy, anyone?). But the whispering cynic in me turned out to be wrong (or I simply stopped caring) because S.A. Cosby is one heck of a storyteller, and he had me turning pages so quickly that I forgot all about my theory. 


Neither Ike Randolph nor Buddy Lee Jenkins had much to do with their sons long before the two young men, a married couple, are gunned down together on the street. Ike and Buddy Lee are both violent men who spent significant time in prison while their sons were growing up, and the last thing either man was willing to accept after being released was having fathered a gay son. But now the boys are dead — and their guilt-ridden fathers want to know why. More importantly, they want revenge, and they are not going to sit back and wait for the cops to get that for them. The men believe it’s the least they can do now for their dead sons. 


When Buddy Lee approaches him about the two of them working together to solve the murders, all of Ike’s instincts tell him that Buddy Lee is not someone he wants to know at all, much less work with so intimately. But, Ike listens long enough to decide that revenging the murder may be the only chance he will ever have again to do anything for his son — even if it is way too late. Then the two of them start asking questions, the kind of question that makes some people very, very nervous…so nervous that they come after the guys asking those questions.


Bottom Line: Razorblade Tears is one of those books that readers most often hear described as a “page-turner.” In my experience, only a small percentage of the books described that way manage to live up to that promising billing. Razorblade Tears, though, pulls it off, even to making it look easy in the process. Admittedly, some of the violence in the novel may be a little farfetched, but that’s part of the fun. This one is for readers who are not put off by explicit violence and the threat of worse. If that’s you, you are going to love Razorblade Tears.

S. A. Cosby

21 comments:

  1. Glad the storytelling in this one won out in the end! The idea of two fathers coming together to investigate their sons' deaths intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relationship that develops between the two main characters is one of the best things about this one, Lark. It's action-packed, but character development is not neglected at all.

      Delete
  2. Like Lark I'm intrigued by the idea of two fathers uniting to solve the murder of their sons. Whether I would pick this up I'm not sure, possibly a bit too violent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty rough at times, Cath, but the readiness to revert back to their violent ways is a key aspect of the stories of these two guys, so it never really feels gratuitous.

      Delete
  3. I don't think the violence would be for me but this does sound well-written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cosby is a really good writer, Diane. I just picked up his first novel (the one I reference in this review) from the library this morning. I'm looking forward to reading it sometime in the next four weeks or so.

      Delete
  4. I have this book sitting on my TBR "short shelf" and hope to read it fairly soon. After that, perhaps a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious to see what you think of it, Cathy. The winner of that giveaway is going to have a nice prize.

      Delete
  5. It sounds interesting (despite the checklist), and I'd not been interested in the title or cover before reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear what you think of this one, Jen. You read so many crime novels that you would have plenty of good stuff to compare it to.

      Delete
  6. Not to be too overly sexist here, but in order to enjoy S.A. Cosby, I think it probably helps to have a y chromosome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very possible, Dorothy. I hadn't considered that, but you could be right. He does have some strong female characters (in my opinion) but I'm not sure how his overall "tone" will strike female readers.

      Delete
  7. Might be too much for me, but it seems like everyone is singling the praises of this book lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very intense at times, but it keeps moving so fast that you don't have a whole lot of time to dwell on it.

      Delete
  8. Interesting. I've been wondering about this one, but I agree with JoAnn - I think it would be too much for me. Glad you enjoyed it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's one of the best ones I've read so far this year, Susan. It was good to enjoy turning pages at that pace again...been a while.

      Delete
  9. I liked SA Cosby's first novel Blacktop Wasteland and the lead character Bugs. It had a lot of octane! I have this new one on my list and think it sounds good & fun. I'm ready for the high action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading them in exactly the opposite order that you are reading them. Just picked up Blacktop Wasteland from the library on Friday morning.

      Delete
  10. Every description I have read of this book says it is too violent and gritty for me. But I have also read many reviews praising the book. All I can say for sure is that I want to try something by this author, because I have only heard good things about his writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once it gets rolling, it is pretty much nonstop violence and preparation for more violence. It all fits well into the plot, but there is a whole lot of it. I'm going to read his first novel sometime in September to see how it compares to this one.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.