Saturday, June 17, 2023

My Take: A World of Curiosities by Louise Penny


I have been reading Louise Penny's Gamache series for years (this is the eighteenth book in that series), so I thought I knew what to expect from her by now. What I never expected this deep into the series is to read a book so much more complex, moving, and generally mind-blowing than any that preceded it. But she did it.

Readers of the series clearly understand how important Armand Gamache's family is to him, and how his beloved wife, his children and their spouses, and his grandchildren are to him. They have been, and forever will be, this Montreal policeman's highest priority. He will absolutely die for them. And now something from Gamache's past has come back to threaten the lives of Gamache and every single member of the family. Most terrifying, even if Gamache were to die protecting them, he knows that it is almost certain that they will still follow him death.

A World of Curiosities is so complicated and intricately plotted with subplots and flashbacks that I'm not going to risk posting a spoiler by trying to explain it in any detail. Let's just say the the storytelling skills on display here are of the highest caliber imaginable. In its basic form, it involves a monster criminal from Gamache's past who appears to have escaped prison without it having been noticed. The monster's one remaining goal in life has always been to get his revenge for what he feels is the betrayal on Gamache's part that kept him there for so long in the first place. Gamache fears that the man has help - and that it is possible that the help is coming from someone he himself is responsible for being back on the streets, someone Gamache has been close to for a long time. 

And he suspects nothing until a hidden room that was walled up over a century earlier is discovered in a Three Pines attic. Inside the room, villagers discover what at first appears to be the artistic masterpiece called The Paston Treasure that dates back to the mid-seventeenth century. The painting displays the treasures acquired by a wealthy collector of that period, and it is truly "a world of curiosities" - so much so that it has been intricately studied by expert historians for decades. But this is not that painting; this one has dozens and dozens of subtle changes and additions to it, and each of the changes turns out to be a clue about what is to come in Gamache's immediate future now that he has released the demon back into his world.

The Real Painting

I loved this book for its storytelling and what it had to say about multiple issues that still plague us today. But I think what I loved even more were the new things I learned about the origins of Three Pines and what Gamache and his family and friends learned about each other. This is a very satisfying addition to the Armand Gamache series, and longtime readers are guaranteed to count it as one of Louise Penny's best. 

8 comments:

  1. Gotta love a hidden room in an attic, especially if there's treasure involved. ;D I haven't read many Penny's novels, but I do really like Armand Gamache and am hoping to read more of his mysteries in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do try to read them as closely as possible in order, Lark. The way that inter-character relationships grow, shift, and mature over time really enhances and makes the Gamache series a special one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam, I am tempted to skip ahead or certainly to pick up my pace. World of Curiosities is a very dramatic story for Armande Gamache because if his family is in danger that's all that matters to him. And it's such a tribute to Louise Penny that she is still turning out books that her readers are excited about. She plots things out so well and she keeps tabs on her prior novels so that traits in her Three Pines characters in earlier books can show up and come to fruition in her later books. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The further I get into her series, the more I admire her writing. In my estimation she is in the very top tier of her genre now along with only a handful of others. What you say about keeping close tabs on where characters are from prior novels and continuing own with a legitimate, well plotted, development of those characters is one of her strongest qualities.

      Too many series authors seem to grow stale or bored with their own settings and characters to where it begins to show as their characters turn into cartoon versions of themselves. They reach a point where they want to start an entirely new and different series. I love how Penny is herself still so excited about Gamache and Three Pines.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to the next in her series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read too much of this as I'm not up this far... I think my next is book 12 or 13... but my goodness ths one sounds 'very' good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. I read it very carefully even though it was hard to slow down sometimes in the critical points of the story, and the construction of this novel is really impressive. So much there...Penny is remarkable.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.