Sunday, June 25, 2023

Closing the Circle: From Television to the Written Word

 

Saul from "Better Call Saul"

I think that most readers of crime/detective fiction are also big fans of television series based on their favorite reading or offering similar themes and settings. I know I am.

I still remember how completely taken I was by the HBO series The Sopranos back in the day when that kind of programming was still a relative rarity. As soon as that one was done - a whole year between seasons drove me crazy - I was looking for another series to feel that way about and luckily came upon Breaking Bad. Then Breaking Bad spawned the spinoff series of its own called Better Call Saul. Well, you get the idea. 

That's why I was pleased to see a short piece from the website Novel Suspects (if you don't know that website, you really ought to take a look at it at this link) that highlights a few books you should consider if "you loved Better Call Saul." 

The list includes one true crime title, two crime novels, and one blend of fact and fiction labeled a "true crime novel," something for every taste, and closing the circle from television series to the written word. 

Click Here for Novel Suspects Article


The "true crime novel" on the list

6 comments:

  1. Oh thanks for the link to Novel Suspects. I haven't been on that site before but it looks good. Right now we're watching the crime Brit show Happy Valley so I think some on this book list would relate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good website, and it's led me to several books and authors I've really enjoyed. I'm a fan of that Happy Valley series, too...although "Happy" turns out not to be quite so happy, doesn't it.

      Delete
  2. We're really enjoying the American series based on Tess Gerritson's Rizzoli and Isles books. They're not at all the same - the books versus the TV series - so I watch the TV series as a different entity and that works well as it's very well cast with a lot of humour. The new BBC series 'Annika' was pretty good, set in Scotland and river based but I've no idea whether it was based on a book series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried an episode of "Annika" and really liked it, but now I"ve temporarily unsubscribed to the channel that carries it over here with plans to resubscribe later this year. I try to rotate the channels we pay extra for, so as we pretty much exhaust one, we move on to another every couple of months.

      The American series you mentioned (not familiar with it) as being very different from the books reminds me of the major differences between the Shetland books and the television series. The essence of the main characters was much the same, so I learned to live with it pretty easily. But when I think back, I wonder how I did it so effortlessly - must be a tribute to Cleeves and to the television writers both, I guess.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the heads up about the Novel Suspects website! I can see where I'll be adding many more books to my TBR list from it already. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll get a lot of good info an book ideas from the site. They are really prolific - just shows the difference between a team effort and all the one-man-shows the rest of us are providing.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.