Sunday, June 11, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week

 Because I'm usually reading several books more or less at the same time - and concentrating now more on a slower, more absorbent reading pace - I'm not completing books nearly as quickly as I have in recent years. I'm avoiding short deadlines,  both review-imposed ones and self-imposed ones (can't do much about the library-imposed ones), as much as I can, also, but did want to highlight the books that have most recently caught my attention. 

Having an unread Louise Penny novel is akin to having money stashed in the bank in case of urgent need; it's just a great feeling. But I was in such need of a Gamache palate cleanser after watching the horribly-presented Amazon Prime series, that I can't hold off any longer. It helps that I do keep Penny's 2013 Gamache novel, How the Light Gets In around as my final unread Gamache at any moment. I'm a little over 100 pages in, and I'm enjoying this one a lot but still not sure where it is ultimately headed.


I'm not familiar with Ellen Marie Wiseman but the cover of this one reminded me so much of Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, a novel I really enjoyed, that I decided to give it a shot. ( I'm sure that resemblance is not just a happy coincidence.) And about 85 pages in, I'm happy to say that I'm feeling pretty positive about it. It has two separate plots that are explored in alternating chapters (I like that style) and are set about 20-25 years apart (one - I think - set in the 1930s and the another in the 1950s. 


This is actually a re-read of a book that I first read and reviewed back in 2007. This was an "unauthorized" history of both the product that made the McIlhennys a generational family of millionaires and the family itself. The original review was vehemently attacked and ridiculed by what I still suspect was an anonymous member of the family. To this day, I don't find the book to be insulting to the family at all because what is recounted, especially taken in context of the times, should not surprise anyone. I"m enjoying it even more this second time around.

I was first exposed to rugby (and almost instantly became a fanatic probably because cricket and soccer don't much appeal to me) in the nineties when living in London. But I left the country still pretty much a self-taught fan, and still get a bit confused by some of what I see on the pitch. I'm finding that Rugby for Dummies has all of the answers to those nagging little questions I still have, and I'm slowly working my way through the manual. It's proving to be a well written book that is not at all boring, and that's seldom the way with "rules books" like this one.


This is the only one I'm reading at the moment for the specific purpose of writing a review, and it is not scheduled to be published until November 2023. I decided to take it on because I'm always open to exploring a new series centered upon one anchor character, and "Rick Cahill" is certainly an interesting guy. This is actually the tenth novel in the series, though, and I'm catching a pretty beat-up guy here. I'm just a few pages into it because I struggle to read pdf files on my Kindle, but I already feel like I need to read the first series book next. 


I'm looking forward to dipping back into each of these, a very good sign for what is to come in the days just ahead. Today will be spent on a little bit of cleanup outside to gather up the debris that accumulated in the yard as a result of yet another massive thunderstorm that moved through the area last night with 60-70 mph wind gusts. We lost power for about five hours, but regained it about two a.m. Luckily we had all the backup chargers ready to go, including some light bulbs that automatically use battery power to light up things just as always when the power goes out for just a few hours. Happy reading, guys.

14 comments:

  1. That's a nice mix of books you've got going. I like that they're all a bit different; that's what makes reading so fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right, Lark. As soon as one of them starts to go a bit stale on me or I find my mind wandering, I put it aside in favor of one of the others.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you're back posting regularly again. Good to know! You seem ready for power outages. I hope you enjoy your reads this week. Rugby seems quite rough but watching a game in person can be quite entertaining. I saw games while vacationing in Colorado several years back and it was full on action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to find my posting-stride again and plan to continue as regular as possible. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else semi-catastrophic pops up to bite either of us again.

      We have to be prepared for power outages because of the high winds that pass through the area regularly. Luckily now with all the weather apps available it's a lot easier to stay one step ahead of the weather.

      Delete
  3. I watched the Gamache series but haven't read the books. And you're right about that cover- very Water for Elephants vibes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, this is really a wonderful series because of how much the characters have changed - including in the way they see each other - over the last 20 years or so. That Prime series didn't even come close to capturing who those people really are, including Gamache himself. Despite Louise Penny saying that she was happy with the series, blah blah blah, I doubt that a whole lot of her readers were satisfied with the way their favorite characters were blurred into ordinariness.

      The more I compare those two covers, the more I wonder how the publisher of this new one got away with it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sam, just read your original review of Jeffrey Rothfeder's book. You really write so well and your review was not insulting or unfair to the McIlhenny Family. You just told the story as it is and so why a family member would have been upset I am puzzled.

    Louise Penny's books I agree are books to keep stored away. When I am feeling down or don't know what to read next her books keep me interested and pick up my spirits. I finished book 6 and I love Armande Gamache. I am also fascinated by Clara and Peter's marriage. There is alot going on under the surface and I sense in future books there is going to be conflict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for going back and reading it, Kathy. I never really got behind the screen the guy hid behind, but stopped myself from telling him that he was presenting the exact kind of behavior that the author described in the book. This is a family that had much to be proud of because, really, what they accomplished was quite remarkable. But they created a mythical history for themselves to present it all as even greater than they were. The author says right up front that the segment of the family still having hands-on control refused to speak to him but that he did speak with more distant members of the family who were still receiving their cut of the tabasco royalties.

      I was most disappointed by the Ruth, Clara, and Peter characters in the Prime series - nothing like how the book portrays them. Ruth, for example, is more of a cartoon character in those videos than anything resembling the brilliant old woman of the novels. You're right: Peter and Clara are going to take you on a wild ride in a book that focuses on them. Hang on tight.

      Delete
  5. That TV series of the Gamache books was odd wasn't it? We did watch it but were never as gripped as much as the books grip you. I decided I wasn't keen on Alfred Molina in the lead role, plus it was all bit too ponderous for me. I wasn't very surprised to read that they're not making any more, though I did feel for Louise Penny when she announced it on FB, she was clearly upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually surprised that Penny was upset about the cancelation because the show really cheapened everything she has accomplished in the books. Absolutely no character development of the main group and they didn't even handle the plot very well in my estimation. They did the almost impossible: made Three Pines and Gamache boring.

      I agree with your assessment of Molina in that roll; just wasn't very masculine to me and utterly failed the Gamache I've come to know so well from the books. And where was his family...hardly a mention?

      Delete
  6. I sometimes have more than one book going but I haven't been successful at going back and forth between several books, unless they are nonfiction. Sometimes I try that when I start a really long book that I am not sure of, in order to have something to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good plan. I know that when I'm about in the middle of a six-or-seven hundred page book and haven't completed anything for a while that it can get harder and harder to concentrate on it. I try to make it pretty easy to distinguish the books in my mind that I flip back and forth through; I used to read as many as eight or ten at a time, but now I do have to hold it to four or five if it's going to work.

      Delete
  7. I'm pacing myself with the Gamache books because I just don't want the series to end. Ever. I'm on KINGDOM OF THE BLIND (#14), which I may read this year. HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN is my favorite book in the series so far. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I hate to be this close to catching up on the series myself - glad to hear that How the Light Gets In is that good, too. A World of Curiosities is pretty dark and very frightening because it is threatening Gamache's immediate family on all of Three Pines so directly, but it is vintage Louise Penny, so I'm really liking it at 300 pages in.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.