Friday, June 30, 2023

Review: The Hero of This Book by Elizabeth McCracken

 


The narrator of The Hero of This Book insists that it is not a memoir, that it is instead a novel, or perhaps it is something called a fictional memoir (but don't most experienced memoir readers already know that memoirs, based as they are on memory and perception, are all likely to be fictional to one degree or another?). Call it what you will. I can't help but believe this is a thinly disguised memoir of McCracken's own mother, "the hero" of this book.

McCracken certainly gives enough clues along the way, including these:

"My mother distrusted memoirs and I wasn't interested in the autobiographical and for a long time that made things easy. But writers change even if mothers don't.

(Mothers change plenty. Don't trust a writer who gives out advice. Writers are suckers for pretty turns of phrase with only the ring of truth." 

 and

"If you want to write a memoir without writing a memoir, go ahead and call it something else. Let other people argue about it. Arguing with yourself or the dead will get you nowhere."

and

"(I've heard some memoirists say that they don't worry whether their renditions of people are 'fair,' since there is no fair: We all have our own memories, and a memoir is one person's. What's the difference between a novel and a memoir? I couldn't tell you. Permission to lie; permission to cast aside worries about plausibility.)"

and, finally, this

"The dead have no privacy left, is what I've decided. Somebody else  might decide otherwise, that the only thing the dead have left is privacy. Anyhow, here in this book, I am writing about the dead and the fictional, and not the living and the actual, whom I love, and whom I will leave alone."

And it can be no accident that the one and only footnote in the entire book appears near the very end and reads simply: "Natalie Jacobson McCracken, 1935-2018."

So, back to the novel in which our fictional narrator takes a solo journey to London some ten months after the death of her mother. While there she revisits many of the same spots she and her mother enjoyed together on a previous trip. This, of course, allows the narrator to make comparisons between the two experiences while exploring her mother's past in relation to their mother-daughter bond. 

As it turns out, the fictional author/narrator reveals as much about herself as about her mother, but by the end of this rather beautiful little book, it becomes clear why her mother is absolutely "the hero of this book." I enjoyed The Hero of This Book a lot, and had to keep reminding myself that I was supposed be calling it a novel and not a memoir. I enjoyed it almost as much because of all the "writing" tips and admissions that the narrator includes, but the most surprising thing is that I walk away from The Hero of This Book with the feeling that I truly know and understand Elizabeth McCracken's mother to a depth that may not have been possible in a "real" memoir.

Elizabeth McCracken (book jacket photo)
 

10 comments:

  1. It takes a talented author to pull off a book like this and make it feel so real yet read like the best kind of fiction novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of think that McCracken used just enough fiction to fill in the blanks about her mother's life and personality so that she would read as a real person to us. And like I've said many times, I can imagine any memoir ever written that didn't include more than a little fiction along the way.

      Delete
  2. I was involved in the publication of McCracken's first novel in paperback, The Giant's House. That is the only one I have read but I enjoyed it. London is special to my mother and me too so I suppose one day I will make this same pilgrimage. A sad thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that first one of hers yet, but I've been somewhat a fan of her writing since hearing her speak and read at the San Antonio book festival a few years ago. She was living in Austin at the time, but seemed to be a little bit like a fish out of water to me. (I envy your experience in the publishing world.)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think it's one you might enjoy, Jeane. It is my biggest "surprise" of 2023 to this half-way point in the calendar.

      Delete
  4. Last year I read a book of McCracken's short stories. At first I thought they were too weird, and then I saw that a few of them were connected and that added to my interest in them. So I have been planning to find something else by her. This book sounds really good, whether or not it is a memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really gave McCracken a chance to impress me before this one. Not entirely sure why, but probably because she didn't overwhelm me at all when I heard her speak in San Antonio a few years ago. This one may have changed that, and I'm going to look for another of hers relatively soon.

      Delete
  5. Yeah I thought this book was quite touching to her parents and especially her mom. Here are some of my thoughts: https://www.thecuecard.com/books/review-roundup/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice review. I'm wondering if you are the one that turned me on to this book in the first place. Can't remember which of the blogs I saw the book on did it for me...just glad they did.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.