Monday, June 26, 2023

Review: The Life She Was Given by Ellen Marie Wiseman

 


Honestly, what drew me to The Life She Was Given in the first place is its wonderful cover art. Well, that and the 1930s traveling circus setting because that lifestyle has intrigued me since I was first exposed to traveling carnivals way back in the early fifties. Those things always carried an air of disreputable people and shows maybe just barely kept within the confines of local laws, a dangerous self-contained little world that the "rubes" had best not look too closely at. So where else would a kid want to be?

And that is most certainly the world that Ellen Marie Wiseman recreates in this 2017 novel. Even though it may seem otherwise, I promise you that I am not going to reveal any spoilers that the publisher does not reveal in its own description of the novel. In fact, I probably won't go as far as the publisher did because I think they revealed a little too much already.

This is the story of two little girls who grew up in the same house some nineteen or twenty years apart, one in the 1930s, and one in the 1950s. Neither child really enjoyed the experience, but Lilly (the first of them to live there) had it the worst by far. Lilly, you see, lives the first twelve years of her life in the house's third-floor attic, never being allowed outside a single minute of her life...until her mother decides to walk her across the fields one night in order to sell her to a circus that is leaving the area the next morning. 

Julia grows up in the same house, with the same parents, believing she is the first child to do so. But Julia's mother is so strict, so overprotective, and so unbending that Julia runs away from home as a teenager and will not go back until she inherits the house and horse business from her deceased parents. That's when she stumbles upon some evidence that all was not as it seemed during her childhood, that some child spent a whole lot of time living in the attic of her childhood home.

I never expected Lilly to have an easy life in the circus; I expected her to be exploited and forced to do some things she would have never done on her own. I knew that circus animals, especially the performers, were not always trained or treated as humanely as some might think. And of course, that's a big part of the tension in the novel's plot. But - and I suppose it proves the power of Wiseman's prose - I didn't expect to be nearly so horrified by the intensity of the scenes involving animal cruelty, sexual brutality, and child abuse. 

Consequently, I still haven't decided how to "rate" The Life She Was Given in terms of "stars." Is it a one-star book or a five-star book? A legitimate argument can probably be made either way depending on the individual reader's reaction to those scenes and topics. I finally gave up and decided to call it a three-star book. Others may scoff at whatever rating you choose, because it all comes down to your own tolerance for reading about this kind of violence. Your call.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, You really describe so well the mystique of the traveling circuses and the hard lives the circus performers led. I know what you mean too about books where the writing is great but being turned off and horrified by the plot decisions the author made. For me A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley was one such book. I would never recommend it to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of surprised that my sensitivity to reading about this kind of thing has changed over the years. I'm now more bothered by it than when I was younger...maybe my imagination is better and I can picture it more vividly. I don't know what it is. This one though really hit me. This author definitely paints a vivid picture, and I see that several of her other books go unflinchingly into some dark areas, too.

      Delete
  2. What an intriguing review! I've never heard of this book, but the premise sounds so interesting... yet I don't particularly want to read about the abuse. This is the same reason I skipped A Little Life when it was so popular a few years ago. I still remain curious about that book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read A Little Life either, and I'm still very curious about it. I think I was more put off at the time by the combination of its length and plot details. Didn't sound like a plot I wanted to immerse myself in for that many pages. If it had been shorter, I would have been more likely to dive in.

      Delete
  3. I'm torn about reading this one. I love circus and carnival settings in a book, but I really don't like intense scenes of animal cruelty, child abuse or sexual brutality. So I might end up passing on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It mainly gets really, really intense in the last few chapters of the book when the two plot lines start drawing to their separate conclusions and ultimate linkage. The good news is that any Amazon Prime members who want to try this might still find it available there as a "loaner" book. So there's no big monetary risk or anything involved. Wiseman tackles some really heavy topics in her novels.

      Delete
  4. My thoughts on this one echo what the other commenters said. I would love to read a book about a traveling circus but as soon as you mentioned the first girl living shut up in the attic, I was pretty sure it wasn't a book for me. I was glad to read your review though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. I'm usually not squeamish at all, but this one made me uncomfortable at least a couple of times. Strangely enough, I reacted more when reading about how the elephants were abused than anything else described. Not sure that's a good thing at all.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.