Thursday, July 13, 2023

Gonna Be Three Very Long Days Around Here

NOT my house, but I have at least this many roofers crawling around on mine right now

 Well, as promised, the roofers arrived about six-thirty this morning to start moving their equipment into place (all raw materials were delivered yesterday afternoon). And by seven-fifteen the ripping and banging was well on the way, so I'm hoping my next door neighbor and the houses behind me were wide awake at that point. If not, I'm sure it didn't take long to get them all to that state of being. 

Too, that means cars and trucks are parked all over the corner I live on, including the three vehicles that live here with us. So barely controlled chaos seems to be the plan for the rest of the week. I have to say that the neighbors are all being very patient because several of the homes within "listening distance" are also scheduled for new roofs following the hale storm that killed off mine. (And my house is only the second one that's even gotten to this point of the replacement process, so it's going to be noisy around here for a while.)

I did try reading for a while while I was having my coffee this morning, but that didn't go very well because of the racket overhead. So we opted for breakfast out, followed by a quick library stop for me to return a book from my stack that I abandoned yesterday (a debut novel by a young Irish guy filled with characters who seemed in a big hurry to go exactly nowhere). Big mistake. In the ten minutes I was there, I dropped off the one book and spotted three new ones to take home with us.

Couldn't resist these for even ten minutes:

I've read and enjoyed three or four other titles by Sandra Dallas, so I knew the name, but in all honesty what snagged me on this one is that beautiful, eye-catcher of a cover. Dallas writes period-novels about very ordinary people and their lives, and at least all the ones I've seen are set in the American west of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This one is about a young school teacher who moves to a "two-street" Wyoming town in 1916. The story is about how she finds a husband and forms strong bonds with the other women living around her.


The Revivalists is one of those apocalyptic novels I've loved so much since I stumbled upon my first one as a young teen reader. Now they read to me more like training manuals for our likely future, so I hope that something from all that reading has sunk in and makes me useful enough that the new ruling class decides to keep me around for a while. In this one, it all starts when "Shark Flu" emerges from the meltdown of Icelandic permafrost. Global warming, anyone? Who knew we had to worry about Iceland now, too.

I'm a big fan of the Outlander TV series, which has just begun its sixth season, so when I spotted this memoir from actor Sam Heughan I had to take a look. As it turns out, the memoir combines with another favorite genre of mine, books about Long Walks, so it was an obvious choice to make this morning's cut. It appears that Heughan made a ninety-six-mile walk across some of Scotland's West Highlands during one of his long breaks between Outlander seasons. Can't imagine how he made it, so this should be an interesting one.

I just realized how quiet it's suddenly gotten...sounds like there are only one or two guys on the roof. Must be lunch time because the crew is gathering in the shade of the tall Oak tree in my front yard. Now I need to grab something to read for the next hour.


16 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to read Waypoints. Thanks for the reminder. (The next-door neighbors got a new roof Monday. The roofers started at 5:30 AM. Joy to the world.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waypoints looks really good, but it's buried way down deep in my TBR stack right now. I have a feeling it's going to sneak its way closer to the top of the stack when I'm not looking.

      The roofers are still at it, Cathy, and the heat index today was about 106 degrees. They have put away dozens of cold bottles of water and the crew split up into two lunch groups starting around noon, with each group resting for 90 minutes in the shade while having lunch. Still, their stamina is amazing; they've been at it for 12 hours now and are only slowly starting to wind things up for the day. But starting at 5:30...spare me, please, from that wake-up call.

      Delete
    2. I'm just glad they didn't start at daybreak which, at this time of year, is close to 4:30 AM.

      Delete
    3. Yikes. That would be a shock to the neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. I think if my roof were being done, I'd spend all day reading at the library! Where Coyotes Howl looks intriguing, I'm going to add that one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's more my plan for tomorrow, Jeane. Had to be here most of today to make sure that everything was going to go according to plan and promises, etc. So far, so good, with about one-third of the work (excluding the massive cleanup at the end) done.

      Sandra Dallas is really a good writer and I'm looking forward to Where Coyotes Howl. She really is a master of atmosphere.

      Delete
  3. We just got a new roof Tuesday, but our guys weren't as ambitious and spared us the noise until 7! We ended up getting in the car and driving to Newport, RI for the day. I visited a bookstore while we were there, but unfortunately no reading time until that night. Our CT place is a on the smaller side, so the loud part was all accomplished in a single day. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. They made pretty good progress today considering the heat and everything. The contractor stopped by the house right before dark to do his own inspection of the day's work and estimates they should be done by Saturday afternoon.

      Did you find anything at the Newport bookstore? I've only been in that part of the country one time, and it was so long ago that I don't remember it in much detail. Just that it was really pretty up that way.

      Delete
    2. Sam - I always enjoy new bookstores, especially browsing staff recommendations. It gives a lot of insight into the store's personality. I didn't buy anything this time, primarily because I'm expecting books or gift cards for my birthday next week, but I'm hopeful we'll get back there before the end of the summer.

      Hope work on your roof is progressing on schedule... and that you are enjoying a quiet spot while it's happening!

      Delete
    3. I enjoy visiting new bookstores a lot but I don't get to do much of that unless I hit the road - which I'm hoping to do sometime in mid-August or early September. Just aren't any new ones opening up in my area anymore, and a few old favorites have given up the ghost. Happy Birthday...and enjoy those gift cards.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sam, Sorry to hear about the roof and the noise. The library is a good place to head to when that happens. I like the plot of Where Coyotes Howl where the 19th century school teacher heads out west to teach school and such an adventurous thing for a young woman to do so I am putting Sandra Dallas on my list

    Waypoints sounds good too and we are certainly having a boom in memoirs where the author goes on a long hike but if done well it's one of my favorite types of memoir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for all three of those I picked up on this stop, but they are now on the bottom of a pretty large stack. If I start to run out of time, these are very likely going to break into line at some point, though. The roof is going well on this second day, mainly because they've doubled the number of roofers and clean-up guys, both. They want to start the house across from me on the cul-de-sac in the morning if possible...lots of incentive to finish up hear by dark tonight.

      Delete
  5. Getting your roof fixed is never any fun...all that pounding! I'm intrigued by The Revivalists. I love a good apocalypse/survival novel. And shark flu? That's awesome. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I hope it's as good as it sounds. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a whole new twist that I haven't run across before. I suppose it was a good way to work in Global Warming and all that stuff.

      Delete
  6. I laughed when you said you returned one library book and picked up three more. I would do that too.

    I sympathize with the noise you are experiencing. We are in a condiminium and our group has four units. One of the adjoining units has just been purchased and the new owners are tearing out a lot of stuff and it was very noisy today. But yours will go on longer. So sorry about that hail storm.

    I think my husband would enjoy Waypoints. I will have to see if he has heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three taken out for every one turned in seems to be the story of my life these days. We are to our final half day of the roofing job with only the minor bits and pieces left to finish along with their massive cleanup. Can't wait to get all that mess out of here - but they are literally moving their crew to a house about 200 feet from me next. :-)

      I hope your husband enjoys Waypoints. I would never have known about it myself if I hadn't stumbled upon it that day. If I remember right, it's been out for about a year now.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.