Saturday, July 22, 2023

Review/Reaction: Road Ends by Mary Lawson


Road Ends, published in 2013, was Mary Lawson's third novel and, from what I gather, when taken together with her first two novels (both of which I loved) Crow Lake and The Other Side of the Bridge, this completes a trilogy of northern Canada books for her. It's been a while since I've read those first two novels, but I remember very vividly how Lawson seemed to have come out of nowhere and jumped into my world as an author whose work I immediately loved and admired. Now, Road Ends confirms my initial reaction to Mary Lawson.

You would be hard pressed to find a more dysfunctional family than the Cartwrights of tiny Straun, Ontario. The family continues to grow year after year despite the bewilderment of the man who continues to create children with a woman who seems almost unaware of their existence after they pass through the toddler stage. Unfortunately for second-born Meg, she is the only daughter in this family of eight children. More unfortunately for Meg, she is also the only person in the family of ten who seems to have a clue as to how to run a household - so she begins to take over those duties at about six years old and continues them until she turns twenty-one.

At that point, Meg craves a life of her own and leaves for London to carve out one for herself. Of course, that's when the Cartwright family implodes. By the time three years have passed, no one seems to be in charge at the Cartwright home: Meg has a new baby brother she's never seen; her four-year-old brother is almost starving because there is seldom any food in the house that he can prepare for himself; her older brother Tom has become a recluse since the suicide of his best friend; two of her brothers have left home for life on the open sea; two others have stopped going to school; and neither of her parents even seem much aware of any of what is happening all around them.

Lawson uses flashbacks to good effect throughout most of Road Ends, although for most of the novel they serve more as flashes forward than as flashes backward. The novel begins in January 1966 as Megan is preparing to break the news to everyone that she is leaving home for a life on her own, but the second chapter is set in January 1969, some three years after Megan's departure. The novel's structure is one that alternates chapters between the points-of-view of Megan, Tom (her only older sibling), and Edward, their father. Cleverly, the author stays in "real time" in chapters about the deterioration of the family in Canada, but moves at an accelerated pace in the Megan-flashbacks until the two timelines finally converge deep into the novel. 

Along the way, readers learn what shaped all of the key characters into the people they became and why none of them (including the mother) seem to have anything approaching the emotional maturity that Megan has acquired. This is important because, with the exception of Megan, this is simply not a likable bunch of people. With a little patience, though, we learn enough about the past of each to at least empathize with them, and b the end of the novel, I felt as if I understood all of them despite how destructive each of them were to the family's stability and welfare.

But it was the end that I will always remember because of how I could see it coming way before I turned that last page. The feeling was like noticing an imminent car wreck seconds before impact of the vehicles; you know what's about to happen but keep hoping that you're wrong. I highly recommend all three Mary Larson novels that I've read now, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on her latest.

Thanks to Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea for bringing Mary Lawson back to my attention. Diane's thoughts on the novel can be found here.

8 comments:

  1. Crow Lake has been on my TBR list forever. I don't know why it's so hard sometimes to fit in certain books or certain authors. Everyone has such positive things to say about Larson and her novels. Someday, hopefully, I'll get around to giving her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to work her into your schedule at some point, Lark. I seem to remember that I ended up reading Crow Lake and The Other Side of the Bridge almost back to back after I discovered her. She is such a good writer that I never forgot the name even though it had been a long time between her books this time.

      Delete
  2. Oh Sam, your review brings back memories as this was the first book I read by the author- Her writing is beautiful and makes you think. I’m happy to read how much you enjoyed this one-

    BTW- I am reading and tracking my books here and on goodreads but, this last year has been rough and haven’t felt the desire to review books or blog. I am doing well though and hope you and my blog friends areas well. I just finished a good book about a death doula - The Collective Regrets of Clover. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish she were a bit more prolific, Diane. I would love to read more from her but she seems to go a long time between books. I see that she had a lot of success with a 2021 (or 2022?) novel and I'm going to look for that one soon.

      I'm sorry to see that you are having a difficult patch right now because I know how tough that can be on daily life. You might remember that my wife and I went through and almost 18-month bad stretch of ill health, deaths in the immediate family, etc. recently that I thought would never end. But it did. And I was surprised at how quickly the desire and energy to begin reading more and blogging again resurfaced. I hope the same happens for you. In the meantime, it's always great to hear from you, and I'll do my best to keep up with you through GoodReads (I find that to be kind of a hit-or-miss proposition sometimes). Thanks for the tip of the one you just finished.

      Delete
  3. I have this on my kindle and cannot wait to read it. Of the two Lawson novels I've read, A Town Called Solace is my favorite (also a 2022 favorite) though Crow Lake is an excellent novel, too. I enjoyed reading your thoughts, Sam, and plan to get to this novel sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that you are going to love it, but I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts when you are done with it.

      Delete
  4. I am very interested in this book, or in any of the author's books. I will have to investigate and see where I might want to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just picked up her "A Town Called Solace" from the library this morning. It was published in 2021 - can't believe it is so long between books for such a good writer. This is only her fourth novel. Oh, and I see that she now lives in England but "returns to Canada frequently," so her life has changed a little.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.