Monday, July 10, 2023

Review: Dirty Chick: Adventures of an Unlikely Farmer by Antonia Murphy

 


It would be difficult to find two people more unlikely to take easily to the farming life than Antonia Murphy and her husband Peter as they were in the early 2000s. The couple lived in ultraliberal San Francisco and were totally into the lifestyle; the only farm animals they ever saw were found in the meat department of their favorite grocery store. But somehow the Murphys found the courage to go for it. 

Both Peter and Antonia were into sailing, so they felt comfortable packing up their worldly goods and heading off to an entirely new world and life via sailboat. First, they made their way through Mexico and Central America, then across the Gulf of Panama, down to Ecuador, and finally, across the Pacific to New Zealand. By the time they arrived in New Zealand to begin their new lives, Antonia was six months pregnant with their first child. Then a few years later their son was born with major genetic developmental disabilities, and the Murphys decided they needed to relocate to a more self-sustaining lifestyle in a rural part of the country. 

As it turns out, the family found a lifestyle that perfectly suited their wants and needs. Probably most importantly, little Silas was taken under the wing of an entire community of diverse New Zealanders who loved him and respected him for who he was. And that's when the real fun begins.

Upon arrival, the Murphys hope to learn about animal husbandry and living off the land, and to be fully accepted and acclimated into the little community in which they've moved. Luckily, a small farm becomes available for a twelve-month lease when that farm's owners decide to move to Germany for a year. The transplants spend the next year learning the farming ropes, meeting neighbors, and becoming a loved and integral part of the community. Almost before they know it, the Murphys are owners of nineteen farm animals (a goat, sheep, chickens, alpacas, turkeys...but purposely, no pigs) - and a lease that expires in just two months leaving them no place to go. 

Largely because Antonia Murphy writes with such a good sense of humor and irony, Dirty Chick is a fun memoir to read. The only warning I will give more "squeamish" readers is that Murphy does tend to focus on the scatological aspects of farming life. Farming can be, and usually is, a dirty business, one in which farmers are often up to their elbows in natural substances they would otherwise avoid at all cost. It's this kind of thing, however, that more easily shocked Antonia as she adjusted to farm life, and it is her lessening aversion to such things over the months that gauge her transformation from urbanite to farmer - so I get it.

The memoir ends with a short epilogue that sums up everything nicely, but it was written nine years ago, and I was curious about what has been going on in Antonia Murphy's life since 2014. I'll leave it up to the curious to Google her, but color me surprised...big time. 

(I discovered Dirty Chick via Jeane's review on her always interesting book blog Dogear Diary. Jeane's review can be found at this link.)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, I was curious so I googled what Antonia Murphy is doing now and I too was surprised. I try not to be judgemental but this is not a good career move she has embarked on. I love memoirs in which people reach a crossroads and travel to a totally new place and life as the Murphys did.

    But there is something to be said for staying put and building a safety net. It's a balancing act, never risking anything can be as dangerous as too much risk taking. But is Antonia happy these days in her new life? I am not so sure she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly doesn't look happy in her recent photos, Kathy. I found no mention of her family, so I wonder what is going on in the sphere also. I agree that there is definitely something to be said for staying put and building a safety net of family and friends, but frankly, Antonia seemed to be headed down the road to nowhere when she was still living in San Francisco.

      I suspect we'll get another memoir from her in a while, but I think I'll pass on that one.

      Delete
  2. I had to google her after what you wrote, and was surprised as well by her current choices. Madame-ing is a far cry from farming. I do admire people who have the fearlessness to leave everything and sail to a far country and start a new life like she and her family did in this memoir though. And New Zealand is one of those countries I've always wanted to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's also very funny and sarcastic, and I enjoyed reading the memoir. I doubt that I would read one about her new occupation and business plan, but I doubt too that it would be boring or dull.

      Delete
  3. I've never lived on a farm or had any desire to be a farmer, but I have actually quite enjoyed several memoirs of this type. The ones I've read are very funny. I might have to try this one. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because both sets of my grandparents were Louisiana farmers, I spent a lot of summer-time on both the farms and saw at a young age what all can happen - or go wrong - when you keep a lot of farm animals around. I think that's why I like these "sudden farmer" memoirs so much...the utter shock that comes to most of the memoirists when reality slaps them in the face can be hilarious. And this woman is very, very funny.

      Delete
  4. Glad you liked the book! I got a hint from what Lark said, so um, I'm not going to look her up. Sounds disappointing, but who knows what leads people into different paths of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a different service that she's providing...considers herself to be very much the feminist, so this is a feminist-toned "service."

      Delete
  5. Just had to add: I also really enjoy "sudden farmer" memoirs- but for the opposite reason- because I've always secretly wished I ran my own. Right now I'd be thrilled to expand my garden and maybe someday have chickens (not allowed where we live). I don't think I could handle all the livestock care, quite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having watched my grandparents work so hard for so long with only a minimal return all their lives kind of killed that spark in me. I think that's why I get such a kick out of the reaction when reality strikes home in the eyes of some of these memoirists I've read. Amazingly, though, most of them stick it out and end up loving the lifestyle...at least for longer than Murphy did.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.