Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Review - The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives

 


Otto Penzler's The Lineup is a fascinating look at the origin stories of more than twenty of the most popular fictional crimefighters of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Some twenty-two writers (Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are co-authors of the Pendergast books) were turned loose to share the inspirations that created such characters as Jack Reacher, Hieronymus Bosch, Inspector Morse, Tess Monaghan, Rambo, Spenser, and Precious Ramotswe. Some chose to give a straightforward nonfictional version of how the characters that made them famous were born, and others decided to take the short story or fictional interview approach to revealing the same. 

Along the way, I learned some things about even those characters I was already familiar with, became curious about a few authors I haven't tried yet, and confirmed that a few of them are just not meant for me despite their immense popularity. 

These are some of the surprises I had:

  • Hieronymus Bosch did not receive that name until Michael Connelly was working on the second draft of the first Bosch novel The Black Echo. Until then he was called Detective Pierce.
  • John Connolly's Charlie Parker is American and not Irish (Connolly is Irish) mainly because "mystery fiction has never really been part of the Irish literary tradition."
  • Colin Dexter made the decision to end his Inspector Morse series at only thirteen books because he himself was getting older and in poor health - and because he felt as if he were beginning to repeat himself.
  • Carol O'Connell's Mallory is a genuine sociopath, and as such, the character does not change over time. Take her or leave her is the author's attitude and that's why each of the novels can be read as a standalone. 
I was pleased to see that the twenty-one fictional characters or teams include five of my all-time favorites: Jack Taylor, Harry Bosch, Charlie Resnick, Spenser, and John Rebus. Of the five, two are American, one Irish, one English, and one Scottish...where are the great Welsh fictional detectives/cops? Of the ones I haven't tried yet, I'm most curious about Elvis Cole and Joe Pike (Robert Crais), Alex Delaware (Jonathan Kellerman), and Lincoln Rhyme (Jeffery Deaver). On the flip side, I'm also certain now that Aloysius X.L. Pendergast, Rambo, and Precious Ramotswe are just not for me so I can check them off the list. And then there's the sleeper in the bunch, a writer so personally repellant to me that I haven't read them in over a decade and never will read them again. 

As you can see, there are a lot of good reasons to read The Lineup: a chance to learn something new about an old favorite, the possibility that you will learn about a character that will become a new favorite, and the chance maybe to eliminate quickly a couple of series you've been wondering about for a long time.

A solid four stars of five to this excellent compilation by Otto Penzler.

9 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to checking this book out and reading about all these well-known characters, and how they came to be created. What a great idea for a compilation. I kind of hope he does one about female detectives next. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, a similar compilation about female cops/detectives would be really great. Unfortunately, this one is already 14 years old, so it doesn't appear likely to happen.

      Delete
  2. Of course I had to see if I could guess the author you find personally repellant and once I looked it was fairly obvious. No, I can't imagine Charlie Parker as Irish, LOL! Just finished reading the first book in that series, after reading 12 or 13 of them I still hadn't read book 1. Interesting sounding book you've reviewed, I shall keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much traction the book ever found, Cath, and how many libraries picked it up back in 2009 when it was published. I found it in a used-book bookstore or I would have never heard of it.

      I figured it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who my mysterious author was... :-)

      Delete
  3. I am definitely a proponent of indie publishers and indie authors - though not so much of self-published stuff thrown onto Amazon or the idea of an author paying anyone to gather reviews for them, especially if those reviewers are paid anything for the service. That kind of thing, to me, takes a lot away from the legitimacy of the actual reviews, and there are already way too many fake reviews out there to taint the overall validity of indie reviewers like me and others who do it strictly for love of the printed word - and not as some sort of side hustle to make a few bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Bosch is much better than Det. Pierce! Too boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the name gave him a really good backstory to intrigue readers with...a perfect choice of a name as it turned out. I agree...Pierce was way to generic to be remembered for long.

      Delete
  5. I think I said before that I have a copy of this, but I haven't read but a few of them. For the fictional detectives that I have not read about at all, I think those sections would tell too much about the characters and the direction the series takes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, there were probably a few semi-spoilers included in this one, but the primary focus is on how the characters were created in the first place. The spoilers are more likely to be in the chapters that use short stories or fictional interviews to dig into the origin story.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.