Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Do you guys write in your books? Why not?

 

With the exception of my college years, I spent the first 60 years of my reading life treating books as if they were my first born children. I read them so carefully that, if they were bound correctly in the first place, they looked as nice when I finished them as they did when I first cracked them open. I think it all started when I attended a Catholic parochial school for my first seven years of schooling. Books truly were precious in our tiny school library, and the Dominican nuns in charge made sure that we all knew it. Books were equally precious in my childhood home, as I was really the only one who was much of a reader at all, and often used my entire weekly allowance to buy books for my own tiny library. 

I've been a book buyer my whole life and, believe me, as book prices rose higher and higher over the decades, I really had to juggle the budget sometimes in order to bring new books home. But I did it - and the cost alone ensured that I took great care not to ruin any of them, especially by writing anything in them, including my name. 

But then I discovered used-book bookstores, and that discovery made me realize just how common and over-printed most books really are. They are kind of like that new car you drive off the lot only to realize that you've just eaten a whole year's worth of depreciation before you even get to make the first payment on it. The minute a book leaves a bookstore, it loses most of its monetary value. That's just a fact of life unless you're shopping in a rare books bookstore.

I would still never write in the first edition of any book that gets a very limited first edition pressing. Some of those have potential to become collector's items, and I have many debuts on my shelves that have done exactly that. But any book that gets a first printing of 100,000 or so is fair game, as are most instructional books, history books, business titles, etc. Those are doomed never to have any resale value, and their real value comes from the knowledge inside them. 

So about ten years ago, I began writing notes to myself in certain books (beginning with, I admit, "sticky notes," so that I could retrieve the info when I needed it for some reason - or just wanted to check my memory against something I'd read in a different book. Soon enough, I took to highlighting certain passages just like I had done in college and making my own notes in the margins in ink (although I do use an erasable pen just to keep it neater). And now I can't imagine not doing it even to novels that become or almost become bestsellers. 

Now, it can all be taken to the extreme, the way a New York friend of mine took it there about fifteen years ago. She absolutely hated flashbacks so much that she would dismantle a book so that she could rearrange the chapters so that the two plot lines could be read separately. First she would read the flashback chapters, and then she would tackle the current day chapters. She had a bookshelf filled with books held together by rubber bands because she was a big fiction fan and the alternating-chapter construction is so common in modern fiction. It worked for her, so who was I to argue with her about ripping up brand new books?

Heck, I even remember a couple of times that she took to solving mysteries by building her own police-like crime board filled with sticky notes and strings showing the connections between various characters and events. I doubt that anyone other than the authors understood those mysteries better than her when she was done. That woman was a hoot, and I absolutely loved talking books with her before she "ghosted me" for a reason I've never figured out...maybe I needed to make my own "crime board" to figure out what happened.

Anyway...do you guys write in your books? If not, why do you think that is; I know that library books are off limits, etc. If you do write in them, when did you begin doing so, and was it something that evolved gradually over time as it did for me? Let me know how you feel about writing in your books.

12 comments:

  1. I read a ton of library books these days, so I obviously don't write in those, but when it's my own books I do sometimes underline or star favorite quotes. Especially when it's a classic novel. And sometimes I jot down favorite page #s at the back of the book to help me remember where to look for those quotes. But most of the time I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I started doing this in just about every book I read except for library books, LOA books, and some special first editions I have around, it's almost like I'm outlining my review as I read. Sure makes it a lot easier to come back later to do a formal write-up.

      Delete
  2. Not EVER! They are like my paper children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, Nan. That's exactly how I felt for so many years. You are what one author calls a Preservationist. On the opposite pole is what he calls the Footprint Leavers. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam, Great post and really relevant to us book lovers. I was underlining my Wordsworth classic editions but now I don't and the reason is that I got too free with the underlining. I was underlining passages that when I reread them I thought, "why did I underline that?it's an okay passage but I should have reserved my underling for something special" and before you know it my obsessive compulsive nature took over and the book seemed damaged to me somehow.

    So now I never underline unless it's a book in my kindle. But I do want to begin reading 3 chapters a night of whatever book I am reading and begin journaling and quoting as I go. That I want to get into more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really struggled with the process until I finally realized how much more I was retaining by going ahead and underlining key sentences, phrases, or words and writing myself little notes. Sometimes I find myself disagreeing with the author, and I make note of that moment, too. It really helps me organize my thoughts about what I'm consuming.

      But as I said, certain books are definitely off limits to my scribbles and always will be. Others, though, just lend themselves perfectly to the process. I have actually gone back and flipped through a couple of them more than a year after I read them, and I'm astounded by how much comes back to me so quickly.

      I actually find it more difficult to make notes and to underline with a kindle because of the process you have to go through to retrieve specific notes. You almost have to remember exactly which chapter or part of the book it happened and then you still have to thumb threw the list in order to find it. Just seems easier for me with a physical copy in my hand.

      Never thought I'd get to this point, but I don't feel as if I'm abusing the books at all, and the feeling of a kind of freedom is pretty awesome if you want to know the truth. :-)

      Delete
  4. I don't write in books but I have absolutely no problem with people who do. 'Whatever works for you' is my motto. As you say millions of books exist, they're not massively expensive and thus not worth much, but most importantly, you've paid for the book, it's 'yours' and therefore you should be able to do whatever you like with it. I tend more to make physical notes in a notebook if I'm trying to remember say, short stories or a non-fiction book. Your friend sounds like an amazing person, what a shame she ghosted you. I would hate not knowing why but not have the nerve to ask. So British. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started to look at books, especially nonfiction ones, as tools more than anything else, Cath. They are tools I can use to help me learn something new - and since I've been making notes directly in the books (never in expensive non-mass market books, I have probably learned and absorbed for longer, at least three times the material I was retaining when so carefully handling them. It works for me, but I would never disagree with anyone who is shocked by the behavior because I was them not so long ago. I get it.

    As for my ghost friend, she was a hoot. And her reading habits are even more amazing when you consider that she has been a librarian all of her working life. I did finally ask the question of "why" to her, but ghost that she was by then, I never got an answer. Sad thing is I really miss her even all these years later. I learned some things from her that I would never otherwise have ever been exposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like using sticky notes in print books and highlighting e-books. I haven't written in a book in a long time (maybe too messy) but I like using notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticky notes work great for me for those books I would never dare write in, but I've "discovered" erasable ink pens called FriXion pens that let me redo my written mistakes or sloppiness...with all the do-overs, I don't have to worry about being too messy anymore. :-)

      Delete
  7. I can't believe I missed this post. I am always interested in this kind of question.

    I don't write in my books but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. In short story books, I check off the stories I have read in the table of contents because I can never remember which ones I have read.

    I do use sticky notes of all sizes, lined or not, to make notes. And I use a lot of sticky flags. I overuse the sticky flags and they are not much use for referring back to, but I do think they help me remember some things, in the same way that underlining would.

    Anne Fadiman wrote a great essay on this subject in one of her books of essays -- Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader.

    I am going to look for those Flixion pens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly where I was a few years ago, and then I suddenly realized I had so many stickers and sticky notes inserted into the books that they looked like Christmas decorations when I pulled them from the shelf...couldn't find anything when I wanted to go back and check a fact. I also do the same on compilations, checking off the ones I've read in the table of contents; that was the first kind of writing I ever did in a book.

      Those pens are great, by the way. I absolutely love them even though they don't seem to last nearly as long as the pens I was using before I switched over...they are, in their defense, a little cheaper per pen, too.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.