Thursday, July 20, 2023

Review - Robert E. Lee: A Life by Allen C. Guelzo

 


I love the design of the cover of Allen C. Guelzo's recent Lee biography, Robert E. Lee: A Life, and how it gives the impression that maybe we have never seen the complete face of the man - exactly what Guelzo wants to correct with this new Lee biography. In full disclosure, I will say that I have read numerous Lee biographies ranging all the way from the fawning multi-volume bio by Douglas Southall Freeman to the early exposé biography The Marble Man by Thomas L. Connelly. And I have been left believing that the truth is, not al all surprisingly, somewhere in the middle of these two approaches to historical biography. 

Guelzo puts all of his cards on the table right in the first paragraph of his prologue to Robert E. Lee by asking:

"How do you write a biography of someone who commits treason? The question is complicated, because (as Paul Murray Kendall wrote in The Art of Biography) the usual task of the biographer 'is to perpetuate a man as he was in the days he lived...' What my (Guelzo's) question suggests is that there may be some lives that we hesitate to perpetuate, and among the reasons for that hesitation must surely be treason."

Later I read a passage in that same prologue that gave me the confidence that the author, a man who was "catechized at my grandmother's knee in the righteousness of the Union war," was able to put aside his own biases long enough to write a fair representation of the man Robert E. Lee was. He said this:

"But casting Lee in contradiction - as either saint or sinner, as either simple or pathological - is, in the end, less profitable than seeing his anxieties as a counterpoint to his dignity, his impatience and his temper as the match to his composure."

Guelzo begins at the beginning, with the arrival of the first Lee in Virginia from England in roughly 1640. He explores succeeding generations right up to Lee's own birth in 1807, especially focussing on young Robert's relationship with his father Light Horse Harry Lee, one of George Washington's key generals during the Revolutionary War. Guelzo believes that it was Harry's abandonment of the Lee family when Robert was just six years old that made him into the man he became. Ultimately, Robert was so embarrassed by the man his father turned out to be, that he worried for the rest of his life about having enough income to support his own growing family. 

The bulk of Robert E. Lee: A Life is comprised of a concise history of the four years of the American Civil War (a helpful summary of the war for those not already familiar with its details). First, however, readers watch as Lee agonizes over his final decision as to what he will do if war becomes imminent: take command of the Union Army, stay home as a neutral, or take command of the newly constructed Confederate States of America Army. Then they get to stay by Lee's side during all of his, and his new army's, ups and downs for the war's duration.

The final section of the book explores Lee's surprise postwar decision to accept presidency of the tiny Washington College in Lexington, Virginia. Guelzo makes it clear that this decision was almost entirely an economic one made by a man who had no other way to feed and house his family. One even has to wonder if economics was behind Lee's decision - a decision made, after all, by a man deeply scarred and embarrassed by family poverty in his youth - to stay home and personally protect his and his wife's Virginia property rather than leave it all to be destroyed during the coming war. 

Robert E. Lee: A Life is an honest, evenhanded approach to the life of a complicated man, a man whose many virtues are offset by his many flaws and imperfections. My biggest surprise after having read the book is that my original assessment of Lee, along with my net  admiration of the man, has not changed all that much. Robert E. Lee was a man of his times, as were all of the people who lived in his day, and those who want to condemn Lee by using today's standards and sensitivities in order to do it, are both misguided and overzealous in their (often) trumped up sudden, new anger.

10 comments:

  1. The first grammar school I went to (for grades 1-4) was Robert E. Lee Elementary in Birmingham. I would be interested in reading this if it were not so long. I am sure that the length is justified, with so much information to cover, but too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume that the school has been renamed now?

      This one is long but it is written in a very readable style. You might want to consider reading the early parts and the later parts of the book and skipping the Civil War history portion - or skimming through that part in order to find the more "psychological" chapters that are mixed in.

      Delete
  2. I had looked the school up (and my second elementary school, and my high school) last night. It looks like it closed in 2011 and merged with two other elementary schools in a building near to my old high school. Both were within walking distance of my home at the time. It is now referred to as Lee Elementary.

    I actually think I would find the Civil War history portion most interesting, and skimming some parts might work also. Maybe I will run into this book at a good price somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a few former Robert E. Lee schools go to the Lee name. From what I understood, it's a different and acceptable Lee, a woman if I heard correctly.

      I've read so many Civil War history books that that part of the book went really quickly for me because it was so familiar. It's a short history, but it does an excellent job of hitting all the key points and covers the ebb and flow of both sides really well.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam, really great review of Allen Guelzo's biography and agree the truth about anyone when you examine their entire life tends to be in the middle. I didn't know for example about Lee's father and how that would have affected him throughout his life, caused him to make some bad decisions out of financial worries for his family.. We do have to look at people based on the times they lived in and very few people rise above their times. Lincoln was such a man but unfortunately a Lincoln comes along once in a generation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Lee's father was absolutely terrible with money and managed to squander whatever he earned in addition to any of the money his wife inherited from her own family. Sadly, one or two of Lee's brothers were the same and they kept trying to drag R.E. Lee into terrible land speculation deals that never worked out well.

      The Lee family, coming out of the Revolutionary War, was truly one of Virginia's finest. But in less than one generation, that had all changed, and this is what R.E. Lee was trying to correct for his entire adult life. Lee only ever even decided on a military career because he could afford to go to college nowhere other than a military academy. Sadly for all all of the country, the Civil War came along and destroyed so many lives - and did a tremendous service to the enslaved population - and Lee's quest for respect and security was done with. He made a terrible decision for all involved.

      Lincoln is the true hero of that era despite his own overreaching and poor choices of Union generalship for the first half of the war. I deeply admire the man.

      Delete
  4. Lee is such an interesting person. It's nice to know there's such a well-written and evenhanded biography of him out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the critics/other historians had to say about the book other than that it received the blessing of the Wall Street Journal shortly after publication. I believe it is a fair accounting of one very conflicted man's life.

      Delete
  5. I had a girlhood "crush" on Lee and I've always admired his good points. It was hard for me to deal with the "traitor" side of him (although I felt that he wasn't much of a secessionist himself). I've always wondered how the war might have proceeded if Lee had stuck with the Union--one of those "alternate universe" scenarios, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By definition, I suppose everyone who fought for the South was a traitor. It sort of comes with the territory even though I think I lot of people back then honestly may have believed that they had the right to leave a union of states they had voluntarily become a part of. Perhaps, I don't know, that they saw secession as relieving them of the traitor label. Just thinking out loud here, though.

      Without Lee, I firmly believe that the South would have been defeated in the first two years of the war. And I think if he had been on the Union side it may not have lasted even that long. He was probably the best strategic general on either side for the first two years...right up until Grant came along - and I don't think Grant was a better general, but that he was Lee's equal.

      Civil War alternate history is fun to read...and there is a lot of it out there.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.