Thursday, July 06, 2023

Review: The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life by Steve Leveen

 

Sometimes the perfect book comes into your life at exactly the moment you need it most. It's all part of the serendipity of life. I happened to be wandering around a Half Price Books location in my area because they had emailed me a 15% discount coupon in celebration of my birthday. Some of you know that I have a love/hate relationship with that particular book chain, entirely dependent on whether I'm wearing my buyer's hat or my seller's hat (a hat I have permanently retired) that day. That and the fact that Half Price books so unceremoniously closed up the store location 15 minutes from me, leaving me sitting sort of in between drives of 35 minutes or 45 minutes to two of their now-closest stores. It's a chore to get to either one of them in Houston traffic, so I hardly shop Half Price Books anymore and I used to spend a small fortune at the nearer location on a regular basis.

While browsing the store's tiny Literary Criticism section, I found Steve Leveen's 2005 book The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life. It was only when I got it home that I noticed that this first edition copy is signed "Steve" even though it doesn't look as if the cover had been cracked open since Steve signed it. 

But it is definitely what is inside that makes this 111 page book so special to me - and I'm sure to others. The book is divided into five chapters titled:

  1. "Uncovering the Books That Will Change Your Life"
  2. "Seizing More from Your Reading"
  3. "Reading with Your Ears"
  4. "Sharing the Fellowship of Books"
  5. "A Life Uplifted"
In addition, are Leveen's great kick-off prologue and an extensive bibliography I plan to dig into as time allows. 

The Little Guide is filled with tips and so many quotes that I could barely keep up with them. The quotes and points may sound simplistic to your ear at first, but they all make legitimate points and offer encouragement to readers who don't feel comfortable following the beaten path that most readers take: a life of reading classics from "Great Books lists" compiled by others or one of chasing the bestseller hits that everyone else seems to be reading at the same time. As Leveen puts it in the prologue:
"Do not set out to live a well-read life but rather your well-read life. No one can be well-read using someone else's reading list Unless a book is good for you, you won't connect with it and gain from it. Just as no one can tell you how to lead your life, no one can tell you what to read for your life."

During Leveen's research for The Little Guide, he uncovered some of the best quotes about books and reading that I've ever seen in one place, and he's not bashful about sharing them here. These are some of my favorites:

"No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading now, or surrender yourself to self-ignorance." - Atwood H. Townsend, On Reading

"The way a book is read - which is to say the qualities a reader brings to a book - can have as much to do with its worth as anything the author puts into it...Anyone who can read can learn how to read deeply and thus live more fully." - Norman Cousins

"When one stops to consider what life would be like without the ability to read after age forty or thereabouts, and the consequences for the life of the mind in general, eyeglasses suddenly appear as important as the wheel." - Barbara Tuchman, The Book

And there are many, many others both from Leveen and from others. In fact, here's one last one from Leveen (perhaps my favorite quote in the whole book):

"While we should exercise our entire lives, we do not generally improve at physical activities after age thirty or so but merely retard physical aging. Reading is almost the opposite. If you have led an active reading life, your reading power at age eighty will tower over you reading power at age thirty."

I found the only discouraging (not intentionally discouraging on Leveen's part) thought in the book in its fourth chapter about "sharing the fellowship of books." I've kind of yearned to be part of a really good book group for years, but I've never been able to find one that feels comfortable - especially since the vast majority of them are populated 100% by women. And starting an all-male one or even a mixed one from scratch has always seemed too difficult a challenge. Several pages of Chapter 4 give all the reasons why more men are not part of book groups, the primary one being that women purposely won't have us because we change the whole "dynamic" of the group. I get it...but come on. Give a guy a chance.

I know you can sense my enthusiasm about The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life already, so I'll just end by saying if you are looking for something like this in your life right now, this is the one. 

14 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I've never found a book group where I felt really comfortable...or reading compatible with the others. And I have tried more than one. It's one of the reasons I decided to start my blog and find similarly minded bookish people online. And I love that first quote about living your own well-read life! I'm copying that one down. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been invited to meet with a book club about 50 miles from me by a friend because their September book is Ridgeline, a book I truly love and turned him onto (I think that's why the group will be reading it in September, in fact). Since I've visited the actual 1870s Wyoming fort the novel uses as a setting and have studied the grounds extensively on two occasions, they think I can add something to the conversation. I'll see how that one goes - don't know the gender mix at all.

      So many great quotes in this one that it was hard to choose the few I wanted to highlight. And I'm sure others would choose a whole different set of favorites. This is not a big book in number of pages, but there is a whole lot packed inside.

      Delete
    2. It sounds like your friend is actually in this group, so you wouldn't be the only man. I say go for it. 50 miles is nuthin' in Texas!
      I just can't be part of a book group. My tastes are so very different from most women. And I hear about wine and food and chatting about other stuff besides books. Not for me at all.

      Delete
    3. I think it's the "chatting" part that women are worried about men participants changing the whole nature of...and I can understand that. The 50-mile drive is an easy one because I live only three miles from Interstate 45 and Huntsville is a straight shot going north on that freeway. I think they are meeting for a dinner/discussion that night, so I'm sure that the meeting is right off the freeway. I'm looking forward to it...and hoping it's a mixed group.

      Have you tried any book groups, Nan? I kind of figure that's the biggest problem I'd have in an otherwise all-female group, too.

      Delete
    4. With online friends, and many years ago a couple of them through the library which were fun because of the older women that I just loved. Of course I am older now than they were then!
      I'll be very interested in how it works out.

      Delete
    5. Life is starting to be just one big blur these days, Nan, as I look back. I just saw this quote somewhere and sent it to a few friends I went to high school with: "When you realize that 1970 and 2022 are as far apart as 1970 and 1918...I'm just going to need a minute..." Sort of puts it all in context for me.

      Delete
    6. I love that quote! I love numbers and those are very cool ones.
      I don't feel badly about my age. I am more grateful I made it this far. My parents died at 59 and 61 so even if I - my favorite English expression coming up - pop my clogs now that's okay.

      Delete
    7. "Pop my clogs..." what a great expression that is. No doubt what it means even on a first hearing. My parents died at 75 (mother) and 98 (father). Hard to believe that in six months I'll be exactly at the age my mother died (75 years, six months)...I remember how old she seemed to me when she died 24 years ago.

      Delete
    8. I had a bit of a hard year when I was 59. I actually wrote about it, if you want to read it. https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2008/02/they-say-its-your-birthday.html
      But you always have your father to think of. You have a long way to go!

      Delete
    9. Thanks for the link, Nan. I'll definitely read the piece.

      Delete
    10. "Just the same only older." I love that way of looking at life, Nan. Thanks again for the link to your 2008 post; I enjoyed reading it, and it gave me a glimpse of a slightly different you.

      Delete
  2. It is kind of sad, Jeane, because I suspect that a mixed gender group would have an entirely different discussion than all female or all male groups. It's a fun book and one you can get through in a day, two at most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam, Great post and I like to think that here on the internet we are all in a book club together. Maybe it's not the same as a group that meets in person but we get to read our books, share what we are reading, find out what others are reading and comment on each other's posts. And I too want diverse opinions and a book club which is only all women or all men loses something. It would become too insular. And Steve Leveen's book I must check out, particularly his quote about "no one can be well-read using someone else's reading list" So true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are sort of a book group, Kathy, and that's exactly why I started by book blog in 2007 - and it's what keeps me coming back. I think this Steve Leveen book is probably still in print even today, so it should be relatively easy to find.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.