Sunday, December 03, 2023

2023 Booker Prize Nominations (Part 5)

 

I suppose most everyone has heard by now that Paul Lynch's Prophet Song was announced last Sunday as winner of the 2023 Booker Prize. If you've read it, congratulations. In the US, we are still waiting on Prophet Song's appearance because Atlantic Monthly Press completely flubbed the job by initially scheduling the book for publication on December 12 - more than two weeks after the Booker ceremony in London. Now, in a case of "too little, too late" Atlantic Monthly Press has moved publication to December 5. 

Since last week's Booker post, I've finished up and reviewed Pearl by Siân Hughes, and I've read all but the last forty pages of Paul Harding's This Other Eden, bringing my 2023 Booker Prize exposure up to eight of the thirteen nominees.

My ranking of those eight books, along with links to the ones reviewed, looks like this:


This Other Eden has an interesting premise, but I get the feeling that Paul Harding is trying a little too hard to make it all politically relevant and correct for today's readers. The novel is set in 1912 on a tiny island off the coast of Maine that is populated by a hodgepodge of racial mixes that produce offspring considered to be Black (even though some easily pass for White and escape life on the island) by people on the mainland. It comes as no surprise when racist White do-gooders spring into action and ruin everything that's remotely good about life on Apple Island. 

After This Other Eden, I'll be down to five more 2023 Booker Books, including Tan Twan Eng's The House of Doors which I have on hand and plan to tackle next. Three of the other four ( are shown in my library system as "on order," so it could be a few weeks before I get to bring any of them home. In fact, I'm twentieth in line for one of only two copies of Prophet Song that have been ordered, third in line for one of the four copes of How to Build a Boat ordered, and first in line for one of the two copies of All the Little Bird-Hearts on order. Library processing can take forever, so I'm not expecting those three any time soon. But there are supposedly five copies of Study for Obedience already on the shelves somewhere in the library system, and I'm number six on that list - and likely to get that one relatively soon. 

I've got to remember to start this challenge earlier next year - and hope to get a little more help from my library and U.S. publishers.

8 comments:

  1. It's funny, when the winner was announced my first thought was, 'I don't remember Sam mentioning 'that' one!' And there's a reason for that... Sorry you weren't able to get hold of it do your challenge properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably continue reading the nominees, Cath, despite the unfortunate delay, but not necessarily doing any more posts dedicated to the 2023 Booker. I suspect they are getting a bit tiresome now.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed following along for your Booker project this year. The history behind Harding's novel sounds so interesting (I'd never heard of it before) but this is the second less than enthusiastic review I've read this morning.

    On a related note, I recently discovered the audio version of If I Survive You available on hoopla. That's on my list for next year now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novel is a warning against what can happen when false "science" like eugenics is accepted, JoAnn. It is relatively short at 221 pages, but it is still a very difficult book to read because of Harding's prose style that occasionally uses page-long paragraphs and long, long sentences. Kind of a downer, for sure, but now I'm curious to know more about the real island that it is based on.

      An audio version of "If I Survive You" would be a good bet, I'm thinking. I'll look forward to what you think about it.

      Delete
  3. The posts are definitely not tiresome although some of the books sound too dark to appeal to me, alas. Luckily, my house is overflowing with books on every surface! Maybe I should say, unluckily, as I need to make room for the Christmas tree and for holiday guests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I feel that they've gotten a little repetitive even though I keep trying to add one or two new Booker nominees to each Booker post. Too, I wondered about having two similar posts going on repeat for so long, and if that would become tedious because of the "What I'm Reading This Week Posts." Nice to hear that it isn't necessarily that way for everyone.

      It seems that no matter how many books I bundle up and give away, the space always fills up again very quickly with the books I bring in. You would think it wouldn't be a problem because of e-books, etc., but that hasn't slowed me down much. :-)

      Delete
  4. Well Sam. The Booker sure pulled out a surprise announcement by going with Prophet Song over The Bee Sting. Now I'm #241 on the library wait list for Prophet Song. Uh-oh. But perhaps I look forward most to reading Western Lane. The Study Obedience is quite an odd little book. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 241 is going to be a long wait unless your library system has access to at least a couple of dozen copies. I'm still waiting on the ones I mentioned (none came in this week), but I'm about to start The House of Doors. Despite the wait on that one, the copy I have feels as if I was the first one to crack it open. It is a pristine copy.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.