Friday, November 10, 2023

Western Lane - Chetna Maroo

 


Chetna Maroo's short debut novel Western Lane is on the 2023 Booker Prize shortlist, and so far it's one of my favorite nominations. Maroo did have numerous short stories published prior to publication of Western Lane and was also the winner of The Paris Review's 2022 Plimpton Prize for Fiction, so she already had a respected track record upon which to judge her work before this novel. 

The story begins just a few days after three British-Indian sisters living in Scotland have lost their mother. Gopi, the novel's narrator, is eleven, Khush is thirteen, and Mona fifteen. On the advice of the girls' aunt that what they need now is exercise and discipline, their rather bewildered father triples down on the time they have been spending on squash and badminton. And for a time, as the girls and their father work their way through individual grief, the idea seems to be working well.

But then as the two older sisters begin to lose their interest in squash just as Gopi begins to excel in the sport, everything begins to change for the family. Mona starts to resent her father for not more actively discouraging the sudden interest that other women begin to show in him, and Gopi begins to distance herself from the rest of the family while growing closer to the boy she practices with at Western Lane. All the while the girls' father seems unable even to avoid his own self-destruction, much less that of his daughters. 

This coming-of-age novel about three sisters forced to deal with devastating grief that their only remaining parent is ill equipped to help them work through is certainly a touching one. But, as evidenced below, what makes this such brilliant storytelling is how Maroo uses the sport of squash as a stand-in for the very mindset of Gopi, her siblings, and their father. 

"In the court, your mind is not only on the shot you're about to play and the shot with which your opponent might reply, but on the shots that will follow two, three, four moves ahead...This is how you choose which way to go. Though your mind is following several paths at once, it's not a splitting but an expansion forwards and backwards at the same time, and it happens so quickly that it feels like instinct. Sometimes, you don't even know you are thinking."

 Too, Gopi's favorite squash practice technique is one called "ghosting," in which the player imagines a series of shots while going through the physical motions of making them without actually using a ball. The same could be said for the way that the girls and their father move through the days that follow their tragic loss. At first I wondered why Maroo chose to make squash such a huge part of Western Lane; now I can't imagine her story being better told any other way. 

Chetna Maroo jacket photo

9 comments:

  1. What clever story telling devices in this book. Well deserving of the short list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it does. It is, I'm pretty sure, the shortest book on the list but I found that it had an impact on me (at least so far) as the longest book on the list, The Bee Sting. I'm only about 60% through The Bee Sting so I can't say for sure yet which I'll find to be most memorable.

      Delete
  2. I don't know much about the game of squash but I love the sound of this coming-of-age novel with the three sisters and their grieving father. I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a reminder to me that grief is a very personal thing, something that has to be worked through each individual alone, even those experiencing the very same event that triggered the grief.

      Delete
  3. Nice review of this novel and I really liked the passage you chose as well. It demonstrates what a talented writer Chetna Maroo is. Western Lane sounds like a very interesting family novel from a young writer worth following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. It's quite a deep novel to have come from such a young writer. She is someone to keep an eye on.

      Delete
  4. Reading this review, it sounds like squash is like chess, having to think ahead. I don't think my mind would ever operate like that, but I admire those who can. And it seems like a lot is packed into a short novel. I am definitely interested in reading this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. I like sports (especially tennis) so I'm curious about this novel. And I think sports can really help with grief and other growing up problems. I will put this one on my list. Seems poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sports managed to keep this family together even during their toughest times dealing with their loss...until they finally started to crack from the pressure. It is poignant but hopeful, too.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.