Monday, November 13, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week - November 13, 2023

Despite a weekend trip to Dallas that really limited my reading time last week, I somehow managed to finish two books that I've been working on: Hanging the Devil (reviewed) and The Puzzle Master (review to follow). I also made a little progress on two very different books I mentioned last week: The Blues Brothers and When Books Went to War. 

Unfortunately, after reading about 75 pages of The Lemon Man I ended up moving it - at least for now - into the "Did Not Finish" box. The novel was just not working for me at all. It uses a first person/present tense narrator, and while that combination doesn't necessarily bother me, this time I found myself feeling too much as if I were viewing the narrator's life through a body camera strapped to his chest to enjoy it. After I found myself cringing from the number of paragraphs (especially at the beginning of chapters) that begin with words like "I saw, I went, I cross over, I lift, I hear, I wake up, I see," and the like, I quit...reading. The plot is clever enough, but this pronoun/present tense combination really wore on me.

I have to admit that I've been a little frustrated by When Books Went to War, and even moved it into the DNF file for a couple of days before deciding to give it one more chance. I'm still not very far along, but it's starting to cover more of the ground I'm most curious about regarding the books sent overseas to American servicemen during World Wars I and II, so I'm enjoying it more and making steady progress toward its conclusion. Maybe I just expected too much.

My library hold-list came through last week with a couple of books that have very short check-out windows - and four more arrive this week, so I'll largely be reading from library books this week:

The Bee Sting is on the 2023 Booker Prize shortlist, but the novel itself is anything but short. It comes in at 642 pages and with exactly one week to go before I need to return it, I've read only 358 of those pages. It is the consistently bleak story of a family that is falling apart at the seams while only its youngest member much seems to care. I really like the way the plot is constructed by dividing the story into long, distinctive sections each narrated by one of the book's main characters. The different POVs covering some of the same ground make for interesting reading.

I've so far read only one of the eight interlocking short stories that comprise If I Survive You, but I've already been pleasantly surprised by this Booker Prize nominee. Much of what I've heard about this one has been negative, so I was a little skeptical about it before reading "In Flux," a story about the youngest brother in a family of four Jamaicans who come to Miami to begin new lives. The story immediately takes on the difficulties that first generation Americans can experience in trying to be accepted by either the country of their parents origin or by the new country in which they now live. 

These four are ready for library pick-up:

The Longmire Defense is book number nineteen in Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire series. In this one, Longmire is working a cold case that goes all the way back to the late 1940s. The old case involves the murder of a man who became the first person that Walt's father ever saw die, but no murder weapon was ever found, so the case was never solved or prosecuted. But after Walt's dog discovers the missing rifle - one that turns out to have been owned by Walt's own grandfather - Walt's sense of right and wrong will be severely tested.

Tim O'Brien is one of those authors I highly respect but have had only limited experience reading. The problem is that O'Brien is just not that prolific a writer; America Fantastica is, in fact, his first new novel in two decades. This is a story about a bank robber who decides to take the teller hostage when he makes his escape from the bank. As it turns out, the teller is not unhappy to remain right where she is despite all the people on their trail. The New York Times called this "one of Fall 2023's most anticipated books."

The Raging Storm is the third novel in Ann Cleeves's Inspector Matthew Venn series. The whole town is excited when a celebrity sailor/adventurer takes shelter in the town during a gale, but before they can get used to the idea of having him there the man is murdered. The murder investigation brings Venn back to the same small religious community from which he was expelled as a young man - and after a second body is discovered, things get so messy for Venn that he begins to question is own judgement.

Chicken Hill is an abandoned neighborhood where African American families once lived side-by-side with Jewish families. Then in 1972, while clearing the old neighborhood and digging foundations for new buildings, workers discover a skeleton at the bottom of an old well. Now it looks like a lot of figurative old skeletons are about to be uncovered in addition to the real one workers found. I've enjoyed McBride's work before but this one has gotten mixed reviews, so we'll see.

A couple of these have been on hold since July or August, but of course they all have to become available in the same week. And they all have a long waiting list behind me, so once again I'm limited to a 14-day checkout period. This is not exactly what I thought I'd be reading this week, but here they come. 

How does your own upcoming week look?

17 comments:

  1. I just saw that Barnes and Noble calls the McBride book the Book of the Year. Their description made me think I would like it.
    I bought an O'Brien book three years ago Dad's Maybe Book. I haven't read it yet, surprise, surprise but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that announcement from B&N right after I got home from the library with it and the others, Nan. I've read about 35 pages of it so far, and it is being set up very nicely with an interesting setting and characters. I think I'll enjoy it.

      O'Brien wrote one of the earlier novels coming out of the Viet Nam War experience, and that one really touched me in a way I hadn't expected it would. It is our generation's war and I still have very mixed emotions about those days. I read the one of his you mention, and thought it was good, but it's been a while.

      Delete
  2. Library holds always do seem to come in all at once! We get three weeks instead of only 14 days to read them, which helps a little bit. I'm interested in the James McBride book, so I'm hoping that one turns out to be a better read than some of its reviews indicate. And good luck finishing The Bee Sting! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, Lark, no matter how I try to space them out by getting on some really long waiting lists for them. Even then, they all seem to arrive in the same week. I'm in a hopeless situation now with all the ones staring me in the face.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with When Books Went to War. On the other hand, I had trouble getting into The Longmire Defense, and I hope that doesn't happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, Cathy. I have seen noting but raves or near-raves from everyone who has read it, but I'm still struggling with it. I think it's me for sure, and not the book. Maybe the pressure of having so many short-fuse books on hand at the same time is causing my reaction.

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of books to get through in a short amount of time! Best of luck. I like the sound of the James McBride, and will be interested to hear how that pans out if you get to it. I'm doing my usual WW2 November reading where I try to read a couple of war related books. And then The Festival of Remberance on TV on Saturday night led me to realise I know very little about The Battle of the Atlantic so off I trot to see what's available bookwise. I ended up buying The Battle of the Atlantic by Jonathan Dimbleby, he's from a very famous broadcasting family in the UK. I'll probably put that on my non-fction tbr pile for 2024, or I may read it before, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far (and it's only been a few pages), the McBride book is really good. I'm still in the portion of the book where the setting and characters are all being introduced, but it's a nice blend of interesting people so far. I have enjoyed McBride in the past, and I think this will be another one I enjoy.

      I know next to nothing about the Battle of the Atlantic either. Seems to be a big gap in my very general understanding of the battles of WWII. Funny that I've never wondered why that is or made an effort to learn more, so I'll be curious about what you have to say when you're done.

      Delete
  5. I saw WHEN BOOKS WENT TO WAR at my library a few months ago and almost grabbed it. My library bag was already too heavy, so I left it on the shelf. Sounds like I made the right choice? Bummer. It's such an interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, Susan. I know of a bunch of people who loved it, and a lot of folks have commented here that they really enjoyed it. I honestly think I've dug such a deep reading hole for myself this month that I'm feeling the pressure to put it aside for something that has a short fuse and is generally harder to get hold of. I hate not to finish it, or at least give it more time, but I may end up returning it on time and requesting it again sometime after the first of the year. It's kind of dry, but the subject is so interesting to readers and book lovers that I am just not ready to give up on it yet.

      Delete
  6. I really have put myself in a bind for the rest of the month. It's a tremendous group of books, several of which are written by some of my favorites. But they are all so popular that the checkout period is only 14 days. It's a problem...but a rather nice one, I suppose.

    I haven't tried the Mapp and Lucia books but they have started to creep into my consciousness. Sounds like you're enjoying them, so I'm going to pencil them in for 2024 so that I don't forget to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you end up liking When Books Went to War. I found the different types of books that were popular with the servicemen to be very interesting.

    Based on your description, The Bee Sting has pluses and minuses for me. I like the multiple point of views, but if it is a bleak book, the length would be challenging.

    I have added If I Survive You by Jonathan Escoffery to my book sale list for next year. I may find a copy sooner but that way I won't forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered that Wikipedia has a nice listing of all the Armed Services Editions along with some good links to other articles, so I'm think that I'm going to have to table this one again in order to meet some other demands I seem to have backed myself into. Definitely plan to come back to it, however.

      The length of The Bee Sting is definitely challenging, but that does allow the characters to change greatly over time as their past histories are explored. I've read over 500 pages now and still have 125 to go.

      If I Survive You has really been a pleasant surprise to me. I've read four of the eight stories, but the longest ones are near the end of the book. Luckily, my library just expanded my check out period by another 14 days because no one else seems to have it on hold at the moment.

      Delete
  8. I'll be reading The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store early next year, so will be curious to hear what you think of it. Didn't realize The Bee Sting is quite so bleak, but I'd still like to read it. Will look forward to hearing more about If I Survive You, too. Hope you're having a good week, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store is really well written. I'm about 75 pages into it now, and the "main event" of the novel has not even been hinted at yet. Long set-up peopled with some really interesting characters.

      Delete
  9. I think I'll wait to hear what you have to say about The Bee Sting. Is it so bleak that it's relentless or is it worth it? I'm on the fence. The length also seems a bit much. Maybe you'll need some of these others to give you some levity this week. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bee Sting is relentlessly bleak and almost hopeless at times for some of the main characters. But wow, what a story it is turning out to be. From what I can tell so far, the whole 2023 Booker Prize list is heavy on the bleak-side of the scale. No relief in sight there, but maybe the other books from the library will change the pace for me.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.