Wednesday, November 01, 2023

The Last Ranger - Peter Heller

 


The Last Ranger is my first experience with Peter Heller's work but I was immediately taken by the author's storytelling ability and the conflicted characters that populate this tale of what everyday life inside a large national park such as Yellowstone might be like for the rangers and staff who live and work in them. Having spent some time in several national parks in recent years, I've often admired the patience that park rangers display even while witnessing the utter stupidity of an unfortunately high percentage of the tourists they have to deal with every day - but there were things I was still curious about. Well, The Last Ranger, I'm happy to report, not only kept me thoroughly entertained, it left me with a much better understanding of what daily life inside a park like Yellowstone must be like for the animals and humans who live there.

Ren Hopper, a Yellowstone National Park enforcement officer, is still dealing with the personal grief created by the sudden death of his wife. Ren is getting better, but he's still not ready to be around a lot of people, so the isolation and remoteness of his job are exactly what he both craves and needs. The ranger has two or three close friends for support and he's friendly enough with a small circle of locals and park employees, but it is the company of the park's beautiful wolf expert that he enjoys more than most - a positive sign. 

Ren knows the routine well. He realizes that his days are largely going to be spent rescuing clueless tourists from themselves, breaking up campground fights, and dealing with locals who sometimes resent the behavior of tourists passing through their world - but he can always look forward to days off when he can lose himself inside the park's more remote areas. Everything changes on the day Ren spots a poacher, rifle in hand, allowing his dog to chase a young black bear inside the park. As it turns out, the poacher is not only a threat to Yellowstone's bear population, he is also a threat to the wolves who call the park home. And because the park's wolf expert is just as aggressive in defending her wolves as the poacher is in trying to take them, the poacher is now a direct threat to the woman Ren wants so much to protect.

Peter Heller's main characters are complex and flawed, even the ones who make doing the right thing their first priority. Too often, doing the right thing is not easy, and Heller's characters must decide how far they are willing to bend in order to get the job done. It's the age old question of judging when the ends justify the means. The Last Ranger is a literary novel; it is a painless lesson in the behavior of the animals found inside Yellowstone National Park; and it is a crime novel - with the real question being who will turn out to be the criminal, and who the victim.

Peter Heller author photo


14 comments:

  1. You mentioned this one before and it perked my interest, but now even more so! Does sound like a good one. Adding to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeane, you very probably know way more about wildlife behavior in park settings than I do, but for me, learning about pack behavior and the like was the most enjoyable part of the novel. That and the way that Heller shows that the means most certainly does not always justify the ends is a very real things, that some situations are not simply resolved. The main character is very human and real to me.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think I will try to read this one. I'll grab the one my library has first, The Guide. I will report back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear more about Heller's other books because I'm tempted to go out and grab another one now.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great read. And I do love that Yellowstone National park setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a grandson working as a novice park ranger there, so I was really curious about the book. Let's just say that I'm really happy it's fiction. LOL

      Delete
  4. Yay I'm glad you liked it. I have read most of his other novels and they have been entertaining. Maybe the Dog Stars is still my favorite but I am keen to get the new one. Who doesn't want to know about Yellowstone and to get those dreaded poachers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned to Lark up above, I have a grandson who is working in Yellowstone as a novice park ranger now (at the moment he's on leave to finish up a degree at the University of Montana), but even though this is fiction I came away from it with a much better feel for the park and what living there must be like. I'll have to take a look at Dog Stars...sure wish I could read longer at night without falling asleep.

      Delete
    2. That's great about your nephew wow. I need to pick up the Last Ranger which just came in for me at the library.

      Delete
    3. I hope you enjoy it. Looking back on it, I think I liked it more for the animal lore and park insight than for its plot...not that the plot is not a good one.

      Delete
  5. This sounds very good. There are too many good books out there.

    I have the same problem with not being able to read enough at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first experience with Heller, but I'm impressed with how well he constructs a novel and what a good storyteller that makes him. Trying to get my grandson to read it to see how he reacts to it because he's employed up in Yellowstone as a novice park ranger during the summers and will return to a full-time job there upon graduation from the University of Montana. He's hoping to work with either the bear or the wolf population in the park, so I'm thinking he will love it.

      Delete
  6. I gave Heller's 'The River' a buddy of mine that considers himself "not a reader" and he loved it. He has now read every Heller book has written. I love the nature angle and settings of Heller's books. So well done and always feel unique. I'll have to go find this one you reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the endorsement of the Heller books, Trav. I'm definitely going to try to work in more of them in 2024. This one turned out to be a bit "deeper" than it first seemed on the surface that it would be. I like that the characters...good guys and bad guys...turned out to have so much in common at the end, and how the ranger ended up becoming more tolerant than even he probably ever expected he could be.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.