Sunday, November 26, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week (November 27, 2023)


I didn't get in many pages yesterday because the day was pretty much taken up watching the Texans lose a 24-21 heartbreaker to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Traffic in and around the stadium was truly horrendous because of the perpetual road construction going on in that part of town, and getting back to the north part of the county was a real nightmare. 

But looking back at the week, I see that I finished three books (The Longmire Defense, If I Survive You, and The Fourth Rule) and abandoned two others (the Booker nominated The Ascension and Tim O'brien's America Fantastica). I abandoned The Ascension out of sheer boredom with it, and abandoned America Fantastica because I found it to be much to farcical to suit my reading taste. 

So I'll be beginning the week with five books, several of which I've mentioned before: The Blues Brothers, Pearl, The Other Eden, The Raging Storm, and Saved. I seem to have stalled on The Blues Brothers at about the forty percent mark, but I'm looking forward to getting much deeper into the two Booker nominated novels (Pearl and The Other Eden). At the moment, the book I'm most enjoying is the eye-opening memoir Safe by Benjamin Hall, but I'm also finding Ann Cleeves's The Raging Storm to be the best book in her now three-book Detective Matthew Venn series. For the first time, I'm actually looking forward to spending more time with Venn and his cohorts. 

My library queue also decided to cough up four new books that I need to pick up today, but I'm hoping that most of these will be eligible for six-week checkout so that I am not faced with some difficult choices again after waiting so long to get my crack at some of them. I can already tell it's going to be an interesting week with these new ones thrown into the mix:

I have thoroughly enjoyed every Fredrik Backman novel I've read, so I wonder how I missed this 2017 novella for so long. This one tells the story of three generations of men who love each other very much. Never has that been so apparent as when the grandfather in the story began to suffer from dementia. Now the old man needs the help of his son and grandson...but he still has much to offer them in return for their love and for helping him adjust to his new reality.

This is the fourth installment of the Thursday Murder Club Mystery series by Richard Osman. Despite some speculation that this was going to be the final book in the series, Osman has assured readers that it is not. The plot focuses on a "dangerous" package that turns up missing after a friend of the club members is murdered. By this point, fans of the series are pretty familiar with all the main characters, so I'm pretty confident that I'm going to enjoy The Last Devil to Die a lot.

Kathy, over at Reading Matters, gave The Last Talk with Lola Faye such a glowing and intriguing review last week that I had to run right out and find it. The novel sounds like one of those intellectually challenging literary mysteries that don't come around nearly often enough. I didn't expect it to show up so quickly at my library, but it looks as if I'll be bringing it home this afternoon. It is centered around a face-to-face meeting, a very unexpected one at that, between a writer and the woman he holds responsible for his father's death years earlier. 

Have you ever read a book description that baffles you? That's what this one did to me: "A servant girl escapes from a colonial settlement in the wilderness. She carries nothing with her but her wits, a few possessions and the spark of god that burns hot within her. What she finds in this terra incognita is beyond the limits of her imagination and will bend her belief in everything that her own civilization taught her." I still don't get it, but I trust Lauren Groff enough to take a look at everything she publishes, so here goes... 

This should be a calmer week than the one before, so I'm looking forward to some good reading and checking in on all the blogs I've neglected these last few days. Happy reading to all.

15 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard that Osman was finishing his series at four books but that could just be me not paying attention. He would be a fool surely, given their success. I do know that he's given up one of his TV committments to provide more time for writing, so either more books are due or he has another writing project in mind. I will keep my ear to the ground, Sam.

    Strangely, I've only got one book on the go at the moment. I need to choose a new fiction book and perhaps some short stories or essays to dip in and out of. A post from the same Kathy that you mentioned has sent me off looking at essays by Phillip Lopate, a new to me author. Naturally I 'had' to buy a volume for my Kindle. Lost cause... fully paid up member of that esteemed club in fact. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen a few comments that Osman was going to end the series after four books, Cath, so it's nice to hear that he's not doing so. I enjoyed the first three a lot, especially the group of recurring characters featured in the series.

      The "lost cause" club you mention can barely keep up with processing all the new applications, Cath. LOL I seem to be bringing more books home than ever before, reading more books than ever before, and falling further behind than ever before. But it sure is fun, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Sorry your team lost. And I hope you enjoy all of these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can speak for all Houston football fans, Lark, and say that we are all very used to losing big football games. That seems to be our niche, our fate in life.

      Delete
    2. My team's been losing all their big games this year, too. So I understand your pain.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam, I am so happy you were able to get Lola Faye from the library but a little nervous too since I did give it a very good review and I hope you like it. I think you will and I will be eager to read what you think. I have Benjamin Hall's book Saved and must begin it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel the same way, Kathy, when someone tells me they've gone out and acquired a copy of something I recommended...especially if they bought it. :-)

      The Benjamin Hall book is turning out to be even better than I had hoped, I think. What his wife and family went through when he was in some war zone or another is unimaginable. They are all very strong people.

      Delete
  4. I am a big Patriots fan (although going through the worst season since my childhood) and would love to attend a game in person but I know if I asked around I would be offered someone's expensive tickets for a game in a blizzard or the pouring rain, let alone $40 parking that should be spent on books! Still, it would be fun, despite the cold and traffic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The live football experience is very expensive these days, no doubt about it. I don't go nearly as often as I used to because I'm finding it more and more difficult to handle large crowds of people. I do go to more college games than I used to but that's mostly because the home crowd at that level is always more in tune with being kind to each other. It's kind of funny because the Texans games draw about 65,000 people and the Aggies draw around 105,000, but I still feel safer in a college crowd.

      Delete
  5. The Aggies just stole my coach! Or at least, the coach of one of the teams I follow, Duke, where I went to grad school. Their alumni must have oil money to burn to cover the payout for the old coach and presumably pay whatever it cost to get Elko out of his Duke contract. I am a big football fan but I can't help be disgusted by the waste of money when there are hungry children and underfunded libraries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! We kind of look at it as if he's coming home since he was here for several years as an assistant before Duke hired him. Elko is getting $7 million a year, which I think is something like twice what Duke paid him. We are lucky to get him because he was instrumental in recruiting about half the kids on the team now, and this should help us keep those guys from wanting to transfer to other schools to play. What kills me about all the money being thrown around is that tuition rates go up every year like clockwork...as I know from having funded a large portion of my granddaughter's recent degree from A&M.

      Delete
  6. I still have not read anything by Fredrik Backman yet, but I have A Man Called Ove, and that is what I will read, when it strikes my fancy.

    I want to read The Last Devil to Die soon, very soon; but we will see how that goes. Same for The Last Talk with Lola Faye, after Kathy reminded me that I had had it for so long.

    And I want to read a novel by Lauren Groff, but maybe not this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Backman's books, Tracy. A Man Called Ove was the first of his I read, but it is not my favorite of his. I was really taken by his books on the high school hockey team rivalry: Bear Town and Us Against You. Of the six Backman books I've now read, in fact, Ove may be number six. But I enjoy Backman so much, that even number six is a pretty high bar.

      I stated Last Devil this morning, and I'm only forty pages in but already feeling right at home with the four club members. I'd kind of forgotten just how much fun this series is.

      Lauren Groff writes the kind of book that I either love or hate, seldom anything in between. This one is still a mystery to me because I am finding it hard to even penetrate the publisher description of it. :-)

      Delete
  7. Why is it that no matter when I put books on hold at my library they all seem to come in at the same time? LOL. That happens so often to me that I have to be cautious about requesting too many!

    I've read two Backman novels—A MAN CALLED OVE and ANXIOUS PEOPLE—and I loved them both. I really need to read more of his books. They're just so funny and heartwarming.

    The Cook book does sound super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those holds keep doing it to me. This is at least the fourth time in the las couple of months that three or four come in at the same time. And now my library has made everything even harder to predict because they limit ALL books to two-week initial checkouts. Then the system keeps track of due dates and automatically renews for another two weeks if no one has placed a hold on the book in the meantime. So instead of knowing I have six weeks to finish a book before it's due back, I now wait for the library to surprise me at the last minute. That can be a problem when several arrive at once.

      I'm starting to schedule (or try to, anyway) review copies for the first quarter of next year, and I see already that that's going to be really tough from now on.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.