Saturday, November 18, 2023

The Bee Sting - Paul Murray

 

Paul Murray's The Bee Sting is a novel about the lies, deceit, cover-ups, and soul destroying self-guilt endured by the Dickie Barnes family. 

Dickie and Imelda Barnes live in rural Ireland with their teenaged daughter Cass and adolescent son PJ where Dickie runs the car dealership started by his father when Dickie was just a boy. Everyone in town envies the family and their prosperous lifestyle. But that is only because no outsider can possibly know that this is a family right on the verge of fragmenting into nonexistence. Dickie, instead of going to the dealership every day where he belongs, spends his time building an end-of-the-world bunker in the woods for his family; Imelda is tired of pretending that she and Dickie still care about each other and is considering an affair with a man she can barely tolerate; Cass has gone from top student to one just counting the days until she can begin a new life for herself in Dublin; and PJ is trying to figure out the best way to run away from home without being caught even before he gets out the door.

The tricky thing is that Dickie, Imelda, Cass, and PJ are not the people they are pretending to be, even to themselves, much less to each other. Each is hiding a secret that eats away at them, but none dares discuss their secret either inside or outside the family.

The Bee Sting is long (643 pages), but it is so well constructed that it reads much shorter than it is. The novel opens with four long sections, each written from the point of view of a different Barnes family member. The section titled "Sylvias" features Cass, a bright teen who senses that things are not right at home or in the family business but, like most teens would, worries more about how it all affects her than about what it means in the long run for her family. Next in "Wolf's Lair" is a look at the family through the eyes of twelve-year-old PJ, a boy who is more sensitive than his older sister as to how bad things really are in the family. PJ is busy making plans and saving coins to get out before it is too late. It is in the section titled "The Widow Bride" that readers learn Imelda's backstory and begin to understand just how fragile the Barnes family has been right from the beginning. And finally, in "The Clearing" readers get a look at Imelda and Dickie's backstory from Dickie's point of view. 

But as well as readers may think they know the main characters at this point in the book, there is still so much more to come.

Murray picks up the pace in a section titled "Age of Loneliness" in which he use shorter, alternating points-of-view segments from the same characters to build a sense of unavoidable, impending doom. As the Barneses continue to try to make sense of what is happening to them, their individual segments begin to end on little cliffhangers and hints of major trouble just ahead that keep the reader turning pages. 

Next comes the book's final 25 pages in which the points-of-view switches come at such a breakneck pace that The Bee Sting begins to feel more like a ride on a runaway train than the brilliant novel it is. And then there's that ending...which some will love, and just as many will hate, especially after such a long ride with the Barnes family. Murray chose an ambiguous ending for The Bee Sting, one that the reader is going to have to interpret for himself. It's an ending I've thought about all afternoon and into the late evening before finally reaching what I believe to be a logical conclusion as to how it all ended for the Barnes family on that dark, rainy night in the forest outside their home. I just wish I could tell you about it...

Paul Murray jacket photo

10 comments:

  1. After 643 pages, I would want a less ambiguous ending. But that's just me. I am curious as to what all their secrets and hidden guilts are; I'm just not curious enough to actually try to read this one right now. I'm glad you got it finished before it had to go back to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, Lark. A more precise ending would have gotten a full five-star rating from me. As it is, I'm calling this a 4.4-star book, rounding down to 4 stars.

      Delete
  2. This is such an intriguing review! I'm glad to hear it reads like a shorter novel, but will have to wait until next year to see what I think about the ending. I'm usually okay with ambiguity... but after such a time commitment, I can see it being disappointing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just browsing on YouTube and several book podcasts and came across a wide variation of reaction to the book's ending. Some love it, some hate it...but that's the main thing they are all talking about when it comes to The Bee Sting. And that's kind of a shame because there's so much more to it.

      Delete
  3. The Washington Post just named this one of their ten best books of the year! "Murray’s novel, shortlisted for the Booker Prize, reads like an instant classic. In it, the gleaming facade of one Irish family — a successful car dealer, his legendarily beautiful wife and their two children — begins to fracture under the weight of long-held secrets. Murray is a fantastically witty and empathetic writer, and he dazzles by somehow bringing the great sprawling randomness of life to glamorously choreographed climaxes. He is essentially interested in the moral conflicts of our lives, and he handles his characters and their failings with heartbreaking tenderness."
    Here is the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/2023/11/16/best-books-year/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that link; interesting article. This is one that I will not be forgetting anytime soon, even if it doesn't win the prize. It's still simmering in my mind, and the more I think about it, the more impressed I am about the writing and style. If I come across another nominee that overall tops The Bee Sting, that one is going to be very special. Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. This book sounds worth reading; but the length is going to put me off it, I am sure. I do really enjoy books with multiple viewpoints, and these are so distinctive. I can wait awhile to try it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's Murray's biggest achievement in The Bee Sting, Tracy. His four main characters are all distinctive in the way they think and act, and how they speak, etc. There's never any kind of slip where they start to sound like the same generic character with a different name attached. I've had that happen in other novels I've read sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Yeah I need a clearer ending I think. I mean you read all those pages then you get some murky meander end thing?! Ugh. Did you find it endlessly bleak ... or some fun as well? hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there. The ending disturbed me enough to knock off half a point in my rating, but then I began to realize that maybe Murray had dropped a hint or two about what his coming ending was going to mean. I latched on to a theory based on earlier segments that makes perfect sense...probably only to me.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.