Friday, November 24, 2023

Booker Prize Odds

I'm not a betting man, but just knowing that people are placing bets on which book will win the 2023 Booker Prize makes me smile. Who would have believed that so many people would be betting on a literary event? That either speaks well for the popularity of reading books for pleasure, or poorly for the desperation of gamblers. I'm not sure which case is nearer the truth, but I'm choosing to believe that readers are having fun with Sunday's prize announcement. 

As of this moment, the OLBG betting website shows these odds:

Prophet Song (Paul Lynch)   5/2 Odds   28.6% Probability

This Other Eden (Paul Harding)   3/1 Odds   25.0% Probability

The Bee Sting (Paul Murray)   7/2 Odds   22.2% Probability

If I Survive You (Jonathan Escoffery)   5/1 Odds   16.7% Probability

Study for Obedience (Sarah Bernstein)   11/2 Odds  15.4% Probability

Western Lane (Chetna Maroo)   13/2 Odds   13.3% Probability

Looks like a two-tiered race according to the oddsmakers - and that it's pretty likely that someone named "Paul" is going to be considerably richer come Monday morning. 


(It is worth noting that Prophet Song will not even be published in this country until December 12. I haven't checked to see who the publisher is, but have to say that they really dropped the ball on this one.)

12 comments:

  1. Ha! Prophet Song did drop the ball. I still say it'll likely be The Bee Sting! But I've been wrong on the other awards so who knows. I might have just jinxed it. I look forward to Western Lane and have finished Study for Obedience and This Other Eden. I probably wont get to the Bee Sting ... hmm. It looks epic length. A family on the brink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bee Sting is a big time investment for sure. I'm glad that I read it, but that meant that I only got to seven or eight of the books before the announcement. I'll probably keep going through the list after Sunday anyway, though. Prophet Song is intriguing to me. Still can't believe it hasn't been published here yet. That means my library probably won't have copies available until sometime in mid-January.

      Delete
  2. Three Pauls in the top running. I wonder who will win, it is of course an honor to be on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it kind of funny to notice three "Pauls" at the top of the odds list this way. :-)

      Delete
  3. I have read most of the stories in If I Survive You, and liked them. So I'm rooting for this one!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be a worthy winner, Harvee. I really liked the characters and the prose. The only story I had a problem with was the one written entirely in Jamaican dialect. That dialect is much easier for me by ear than by reading it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. From what I gather, people with severe gambling addiction will bet on just about anything. It's the thrill they seek, not the potential payoff.

      Delete
  5. You are certainly right that the US publisher of Prophet Song dropped the ball. It is Grove Atlantic, a smaller publisher, doubtless desperately trying to reach their printers on a holiday weekend in an effort to move up the ship date. It does sound interesting if you decided to continue your project but, overall, I don't feel accessibility is very important to the judges, which is their privilege, of course. It used to be my book group nearly always read the Booker winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wouldn't you know it, that's the winner. I suppose they will still get the expanded sales numbers from library purchases, but I can't imagine they will be ahead in the long run by being this slow to publish. I can't even get on a hold list yet at my library system, so I wonder how long they waited to order copies.

      Why did your book group stop reading the Booker winner? I imagine that would be a challenge for most book club's that already have a problem getting everyone to agree on which book to read because some of the winners have been a little more densely packed than the average literary novel.

      Delete
  6. Well, one of the Pauls did win. It's just too bad Prophet Song isn't available here yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember that happening before, but maybe I just missed it. His publisher owes him big time now.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.