Tuesday, December 26, 2023

The House of Doors - Tan Twan Eng (and a 2023 Booker Prize Challenge Update)

 


 Tan Twan Eng is on a roll. His first novel, The Gift of Rain, was longlisted for what was then called the Man Booker Prize; his second novel, The Garden of Evening Mists, was shortlisted for the Man Booker; and in 2023 The House of Doors, the author's third novel, was longlisted for the Booker. 

Robert and Lesley Hamlyn are visited in 1921 at their home on the Straits Settlement of Penang by Robert's old friend "Willie" Somerset Maugham. Maugham, a traveler by nature, is there to rest up a little while he hopes to gather material for stories that will bring him a much needed cash infusion when they are published. Accompanying Maugham is Gerald, whom Maugham calls his secretary but is actually the author's thinly disguised lover. Lesley, though initially less than thrilled to have Maugham stay in her home, eventually grows close enough to the man to confide in him secrets about what life in Penang is really like for her and her friends. Maugham, always on the lookout for stories set in exotic locations, is of course all ears. 

In just a few days, Maugham hears accounts of husbands who cheat on their wives and wives who cheat on their husbands in retaliation, and he listens to Lesley recount her friendship with Dr. Sun Yat Sen from when the Chinese revolutionary came to Penang ten years earlier to raise badly needed money to support his efforts to overthrow China's Manchu dynasty. But perhaps most intriguing of all to Maugham, he hears for the first time of Ethel Proudlock, the Englishwoman who ten years earlier became the first European woman to be put on trial in Malaya for murder. Ethel, accused of murdering a man she says attempted to rape her - one William Steward - faced death by hanging if convicted of the crime. Locals, having been told by the European colonizers over and over again that "everyone is equal before the law, white or brown, black or yellow," watched closely to see what would happen now that "one of their own" was on trial for her life.

The House of Doors is beautifully written, with Twan alluding to the below-the-surface complexity of life for Europeans living in Penang during the period by describing the actual "house of doors" from which the novel's title is taken:

"We walked between the rows of painted doors, our shoulders and elbows setting them spinning slowly. Each door pirouetted open to reveal another set of doors, and I had the dizzying sensation that I was walking down the corridors of a constantly shifting maze, each pair of doors opening into another passageway, and another, giving me no inkling of where I would eventually emerge." (Page 178)

The House of Doors is historical fiction at its finest.

Tan Twan Eng jacket photo

 

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


2023 Booker Prize - Challenge Update:

I have now read seven of the thirteen Booker Prize nominees and decided not to finish two others. I have another one on hand, and the remaining three are on hold at the library. I personally rank the nine books I've spent time with so far this way:

  1. The House of Doors
  2. The Bee Sting
  3. If I Survive You
  4. Western Lane
  5. Pearl
  6. Old God's Time
  7. This Other Eden
  8. A Spell of Good Things
  9. In Ascension
Still to go:
  • All the Little Bird-Hearts
  • Prophet Song
  • Study for Obedience
  • How to Build a Boat

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, I will be reading this. I love these novels set in the early 20th century where you have ex-pat communities in exotic places and there is decadence and then a murder happens. White Mischief by James Fox set in Kenya was a similar tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find novels from that period to be fascinating, Kathy. Most of the ones of that type I've read were set in India. But it seems no matter the country, the "mentality" and lifestyle was much the same. I live the expat life for a decade, and I can see some similarity even to the expat lifestyle of the 1990s. I'll look for that James Fox book, thanks.

      Delete
  2. I admire your reading all the prize winners. I should get to House of Doors soon. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really been fun to work on this list, Harvee. I'm enjoying it. I'll look forward to what you think of The House of Doors. It really surprised me that I would end up bumping it to the top of my 2023 Book List to this point.

      Delete
  3. Wow you put The House of Doors on the top! That's impressive. Even the author's backlist sounds good. I'm #74 on the wait list now at the library for the House of Doors. I'm so curious about the Somerset Maugham aspect of it. Thx for ranking these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you're such a Maugham fan, I hope you get your hands on the book soon. Maugham is very much one of the two main characters in the novel, the other being the wife of his old school friend. I learned a lot about the man and the personal life he was living in near secret. It was a tough era for a man like him to have been born in.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.