Friday, December 08, 2023

This Other Eden - Paul Harding


Although I personally would not have chosen Paul Harding's This Other Eden as one of the more likely survivors of the 2023 Booker Prize longlist, it did become one of the final six books under consideration for the prize before ultimately losing to Paul Lynch's Prophet Song

This Other Eden was inspired by a horrendous real-world eugenics program that was inflicted upon a small group of people off the coast of Maine on Malaga Island. Harding's fictitious stand-in for Malaga Island is Apple Island, an island so-named for the abundance of apple trees hand-planted there by its first male settler, former slave Benjamin Honey, in the late 1790s. By 1912, almost all of Honey's descendants still preferred living in relative isolation and poverty on the island to taking their chances on the mainland. By this point, the bloodline of Honey and his Irish wife had been further racially diluted by the occasional straggler seeking shelter on the island, many of whom were there because they were avoiding the mainland for reasons of their own. Still, the population of Apple Island was inbred enough that to outsiders a number of the residents appeared to be cripplingly feebleminded or physically impaired.

Harding populates the fictitious island with a colorful and memorable group of characters - my favorite thing about the novel. Among these are: Zachary Hand to God Proverbs, a Union Civil War veteran who has made a home for himself inside a hollow tree; Esther Honey, matriarch of a family consisting of her son and three grandchildren; Esther's grandson Ethan Honey, a young man of tremendous natural artistic ability; and Bridget Carney, an Irish immigrant housemaid who will come to know the Honeys intimately.

Certainly the island residents are poor, and with the exception of a few of the children who are schooled a little by a retired mainland schoolteacher, they are uneducated, but they take care of each other, and are content with their day-to-day lives. But this is not enough for the mainland do-gooders, who truth be told are offended by what is happening on the island, and decide that the islanders need to be institutionalized or otherwise relocated for their own good. Needless to say, the effort does not end well for anyone, especially those who have never known a home other than Apple Island.

This Other Eden at times read more like a fable than a historical novel, and it is heavy-handed enough to give the overall impression that it is trying just a little too hard not to offend today's so easily offended readers. That effort not to stray, along with what is at times a densely packed prose style, often makes for slow reading. The novel has a worthy theme, something legitimate to say about America's (and the world's) past in regards to racial prejudice, but I think it better belongs on the Booker longlist than on its shortlist. 

Paul Harding

10 comments:

  1. I always know after reading your thoughtful reviews whether I'd like a book or not...and I'm pretty sure this book isn't for me. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I'm not sure it was even "for me," Lark. If it had been much longer, I doubt I would have had the stamina to finish it.

      Delete
  2. The more I read historical fiction based on some of America's history, the more appalled I become

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History is always written by "the winner" or most powerful group in a given society. Digging a little deeper is when the deeper truths are revealed. I do, though, find it a little dangerous to rewrite history entirely in the context of modern sensibilities because overcorrecting is as dangerous, in my opinion, as glossing over the worst of the truth was in the first place.

      Delete
  3. I think this would be a difficult book to read. It was good to hear your opinion of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was most definitely one of the toughest reads I had this year. Did make me think, however, and I suppose that's always a good thing.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your review, Sam. I'll probably pass on this one for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be making it sound tougher to read than it is, JoAnn. If you can browse a copy somewhere, take a look at it and see if you might want to read it.

      Delete
  5. I was a bit of a fan of this novel. But it took me two full times listening to the audiobook narrated by Edoardo Ballerini who is superb. I probably couldn't have gotten thru the print, but man with Edoardo narrating and me in my car commuting to the city 50 mins away & back. I was able to envision the island and what happened to these poor people on their own land. He captures it eloquently ... and tragically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think this one is probably more easily understood in audiobook format. Your commute is just about the right length for me to concentrate on an audiobook while driving; longer than that, and my mind starts to drift. It's a very tragic piece of history, something that stands in well for all the heartache caused by the eugenics fad, I imagine..

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.