Monday, December 04, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week (December 4, 2023)


 As we approach the end of the year, I'm beginning this first week of December with a declining energy level. I am starting to find myself more and more content simply to watch something good on one of the video channels I subscribe to instead of concentrating on the pages of a good book. That's not like me generally, but it's not completely unusual either; it's happened before, and I've managed to shake it off fairly quickly. Something to do with the closing of yet another year, I suspect.

Anyway...I did finish a couple of books this week, Pearl, which I reviewed last Friday, and Benjamin Hall's Saved: A War Reporter's Mission to Make It Home, which I will be reviewing one day this week. I also continued to read from The Raging Storm by Ann Cleeves and This Other Eden by Paul Harding. I remain stalled, however, on next year's The Blues Brothers and didn't make a lot of progress on the fourth Thursday Murder Club Mystery, Richard Osman's The Last Devil to Die. Even so, I perhaps foolishly convinced myself to add a new book to those already in progress, and I find myself quite satisfied with what I read in the first chapter of Not Dead Enough by Phillip Thompson.

Not Dead Enough is being officially published today, if I recall correctly. It is the third book in a series featuring Iraq War veteran Colt Harper who has returned to Mississippi to become a county sheriff. Colt firmly believes that he shares a lifetime bond with his fellow combat veterans, but after one of them seems to be directly involved with the dead body discovered one morning in a remote part of Colt's county, he knows that that bond is about to be stretched right up to, if not beyond, its breaking point.

The Lauren Groff book I mentioned last week, The Vaster Wilds, came in late, so I'll be picking it up on Tuesday along with a scifi novel by Connie Willis called The Road to Roswell. I see, too, that I'm finally about to get my turn at Ann Patchett's Tom Lake after placing it on hold way back in July, so I'm kind of excited about receiving that one in a few days. I started to buy a copy several times, but decided to play the long game with my library out of sheer stubbornness (why is "stubbornness" so hard for me to spell all of a sudden).

I'll also be picking up The Road to Roswell. I've heard good things about Connie Willis's science fiction for a long time, but haven't read any of the books. She has won both Nebula and Hugo awards in the past and has quite a following among scifi readers who enjoy their science fiction on the more humorous and lighter side. This one is about a woman who is a little embarrassed to be going to Roswell, New Mexico, to attend the alien-themed wedding of a friend. But then she's abducted by one of the little guys herself, and finds herself teaming up with "him" in a bit of a quest. Could be fun.

You know, I think I'm ready for a bit more escape/comfort reading. I'm starting to think that the Booker List project I've been on has resulted in so much dark reading that I desperately need a change of pace to kickstart me again. Maybe some of these will do the trick. 

Here's hoping everyone has a good week ahead of them. Enjoy.

12 comments:

  1. I can't seem to help myself winding down in December as regards reading. It's like Christmas sits there, a huge behemoth to be got through or over, and there's no time for anything else. Which is silly as there is time and it's really all in my head. I'm doing my best to ignore this mental blockage but it's a wilful and determined thing!

    Of course I had to run off and look at the Connie Willis book as it's right up my street. Sadly, although it was out here in June, there only seems to be a £21 hardback available. No cheaper Kindle version so far. I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully that will appear in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that feeling is even more concentrated in this country, Cath, because we've just experienced Thanksgiving. That holiday is just as demanding on me both mentally and time-wise as Christmas, really. No time for a breather for the last two months of the year...then a crash follows on January 2. But you are entirely correct, it's mostly in my head.

      That's a shame about the Connie Willis book. I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning from the library. She really does seem to be very popular in this country.

      Delete
  2. I'm running really tired this week so I mostly just want to sleep. ;D
    I think that Connie Willis book sounds like a lot of fun! And Not Dead Enough also sounds good...though then I'd be starting yet another new series...and I'm so far behind in so many good ones...but that's the life of a reader, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even count how many series I'm in the process of reading anymore. But even that probably wouldn't keep me from starting new ones because I find them so impossible to resist. I suppose the good news on this one is that it's only three books deep at this point. :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm only 40 pages in, but I'm finding it stands on its own very well. Lots of the main character's backstory has been summarized very interestingly, and it's all seamlessly pieced together to catch new readers up.

      Delete
  3. I must check out Anne Cleeves and I know what you mean about wanting to read lighter books. The winter months I want a good mystery ore a good holiday story. Life is tough enough as it is. And it's interesting that the Booker choices were such dark reads. I would venture a guess that the National Book Award choices not much different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "darkness" does seem to be common in books nominated for major prizes these days. I'm definitely going to look at the rest of them, but maybe at a much slower pace than I have been. Only one on hand now that I haven't read, and my library doesn't seem to have any of the others coming to me particularly soon.

      I think it's all a reflection on today's world, really. But I get plenty of that dark feeling just watching the national and international news anymore. I'm ready for something more entertaining, I think.

      Delete
  4. Maybe someday I will read that Ann Cleeves series some day. I have read books from several of her series but never finished any of them.

    I am interested in how you like the Connie Willis book. Your description of the plot sounds good to me. I have read several of her time travel books and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I like two other Ann Cleeves so much, I am surprised that it took me until the third book in the Venn series to start feeling that way. Venn is, for me at least, a difficult character to warm up to, mainly because he's such a guarded, cold fish of a guy.

      I picked up the Connie Willis book this morning. It looks pretty good at first glance.

      Delete
  5. I have to space out some of those psych thrillers as some of them do shake me up and I have to wait to get back into my own space, lol. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you have a great week, too. I know what you mean about books putting you into certain moods. That's part of what reading so many really dark novels so close together seems to have done to me. Still haven't completely shaken the feeling.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.