Monday, December 18, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week (December 18)

 I didn't end up reading exactly the selections I thought I would be reading this time last week, but I ended up finishing three of them: Not Dead Enough (reviewed), The Raging Storm (reviewed), and Mary and the Birth of Frankenstein (review to follow on Wednesday). I had expected to have Lessons in Chemistry on hand days ago, but it arrived late at the library and I won't be picking it up until tomorrow. Oh...I also abandoned The Road to Roswell by Connie Willis after roughly fifty pages of nonsense and silliness that never even came close to appealing to my reading taste. I suppose this shows that I take my science fiction too seriously to enjoy this kind of comedic farce.

Coming into the week, I have four books going: The Blues Brothers (which has been tabled for two weeks now), The House of Doors (which is turning out to be much better than I expected it would be), Tom Lake (one of the most refreshing and beautifully written novels I've read this whole year), and The Night of the Storm (see below).

I'm only 20 pages into Nishita Parekh's The Night of the Storm but I'm really curious to see how it plays out. The novel is set in a Houston suburb on the night that Hurricane Harvey blows into town. A young woman and her son are at her sister's fancy home to shelter from the storm with a small group of people, mostly family. All very normal for Houstonians right up until someone dies - is it murder or an accident? Is there actually a murderer trapped in the house with them? Should be fun, and I'm curious to see how realistic it all reads as regards the storm and what it's really like to sit tight as one goes by. (Believe me, I'll be able to judge for myself.)

Definitely coming up this week because they have already been renewed the two times I'm allowed to renew a book are these:

This one is described by its publisher as "a riveting page-turner about a Black classical musician's desperate quest to recover his lost violin on the eve of the most prestigious musical competition in the world." The violin is being held for ransom, with "the descendant's of the man who once enslaved Ray's great-great-grandfather asserting the instrument is rightfully theirs." I've flipped through the book a little, and I like the author's style. At this point, I'm just hoping that it's not a super-woke plot that ends up boring me with its required predictability.

I put The House of Doors aside for the last few days, but I'm looking forward to getting back to it. It's turned out to be a really unusual plot that combines literary biography with the murder trial of a British woman in Malaysia who killed the British man who tried to rape her. The biography/historical fiction portion of the plot involves Dr. Sun Yat Sen and the British colonial system as regards that part of the world. This was also a Booker Prize nominee. 


And these are getting ever-closer to the top of the stack:





Of course, there's no way any of us can anticipate much of anything regarding our schedules for the next two weeks, so you might see some of these on the TBR-this-week list again next week.

 Happy Reading, guys.


14 comments:

  1. I've been putting off House of Doors but your synopsis has me curious. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent some time with it this morning, and it looks like it will turn out to be in my personal top two or three 2023 Booker Prize books. It took a few pages for me to get back into it after having set it aside for a while, but now I'm anxious to pick it up again.

      Delete
  2. What a shame about the Connie Willis, I thought that had potential but life's too short (especially once you reach our advanced years ;-) ) to plough on with something that's driving you nuts.

    That's the second time I've seen that Thomas H. Cook mentioned today. Is the spirit of the book world trying to tell me something? Look forward to your thoughts on that. I've also seen The Vaster Wilds talked about somewhere. I wish my memory was better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any idea what other Connie Willis books are like, Cath, but this one is just not at all for me. The reason I read science fiction is to be exposed to serious thought on what the future might look like one day. I couldn't get into laughing at the genre or some of its more rabid fans this way. It's not badly written at all, just started to feel like a waste of time to me.

      The Cook novel is going to come up to the top of the stack very soon. I'm almost done with Tom Lake (one of my favorite 2023 reads), and that one will likely be next.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed The Violin Conspiracy and am looking forward to his second, Symphony of Secrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, Cathy. He's definitely a good writer with a style that reads very smoothly to me. I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Lots of good books on your reading plate! There's a couple on your list that are also on my TBR list, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another short stack of four came in for pick-up today, Lark. What a nice problem to have..,

      Delete
  5. The Last Talk with Lola Faye sounds right up my alley - just put a hold on it at the library.

    Also wanted to say thanks for your reviews of Ann Cleeves' "Vera" series - I've read the rest of her series but never started the Vera books - and I've never seen the TV series. I'm halfway through the first Vera book and am REALLY enjoying it! Such a long, luxurious character-driven pleasure perfect for a cold winter. Your reviews gave me the final nudge to start the long Vera backlist.

    Thanks from this retired librarian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, it really does sound wonderful, and I just picked it up from the library this morning. Can't wait to work it in.

      So happy that you are enjoying the Vera series...and tickled that you give me partial credit for the final nudge you needed. Thanks for sharing that because it made my morning.

      It's great to have you, and I hope to hear from you again.

      Delete
  6. I thought the Violin Conspiracy had enough going for it that made it a good audio for me. I'm curious about his 2nd book but I haven't gone there yet. You have me more interested now in The House of Doors novel. It sounds quite unusual. Do you know where it's going yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm down to the final 75 pages of The House of Doors, and I understand where it's headed now. I THINK the only thing still to be revealed is the trial verdict and its aftermath. It's a really good character study and it gives a good feel for what that kind of colonialism was from both points of view...the colonizer and the native population. It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear your initial reaction reaction to The House of Doors is positive. I hope to get to it next year, along with The Violin Conspiracy. I just finished If I Survive You today and really liked it. Not sure I'd have picked it up without your review, so thank you! I ended up doing a read/listen combination and the audio definitely added to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really happy to see that you enjoyed If I Survive You. That one really surprised me, too, because if it had not made the Booker list, I would probably have never heard of it. I suppose, in the long run, that's the main purpose of prizes like the Booker.

      About 20 pages to go in The House of Doors now, and I'm liking it a lot. Still hard to predict exactly where/how it will end, but this is one of those novels where the ending is not as important as the ride it takes you on to get to that point.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.