Monday, December 11, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week (December 11)

 


My library has come up with a new scheme for checking out books that I'm still trying to adapt to. I understand why the change was made, and I think it's a great idea because it keeps books in circulation and should cut down on hold-times. But it's made it much more difficult  for me to predict what I'm going to be reading from one week to the next.  

The old system allowed for an immediate six-week checkout period for any book that was not on another patron's hold list. Books on hold by others were limited to two-weeks. The new scheme, however, limits all initial checkouts to two weeks...then when the books get within five days of their due date without having been returned, the library software automatically renews them for another fourteen days if no one else is actively requesting a copy. The same thing can happen again two weeks later, so the total checkout period can still add up to six weeks.

But when you have twelve to fifteen books checked out at all times, the near constant rotating of due dates makes it virtually impossible to predict exactly which book is going to become due first. Consequently, I'm tabling a bunch of half-read books because others suddenly turned out to have shorter fuses attached to them than the ones I've been reading.

All whining aside (finally), I did finish three this week: This Other Eden by Paul Harding, The Last Devil to Die by Richard Osman, and And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman. As a consequence of the library changes I mentioned, I'm carrying these partially read books into the new week: The Raging Storm by Ann Cleeves, The Blues Brothers by Daniel de Visé, and Not Dead Enough by Phillip Thompson. 

I've also read the first few chapters of Tan Twan Eng's Booker Prize nominee The House of Doors, and I've already been pleasantly surprised by Eng's prose style and plot construction. Somerset Maugham is in 1921 Malaysia, along with his thinly disguised secretary/gay lover, researching his next novel when he discovers that his host's wife may have relatively recently had an affair with Chinese revolutionary Dr. Sun Yat Sen. He starts digging for details, but the story he hears turns out to be not at all the one he expected.

This afternoon I'm picking up two books for which I've been waiting several months (Tom Lake and Lessons in Chemistry), and both of them immediately jump to the top of my priority list because I know that the checkout period for neither is likely to be extended beyond two weeks.  

Others I'm dying to get to include:



It's all a bit unpredictable, really, but with all of this choice it is guaranteed to be another pretty good reading week. I wish you all the same.

19 comments:

  1. My library has the same system as yours- except our borrowing period is three weeks, and there's three auto renewals that happen if nobody else has it on hold. So could end up with a book max of twelve weeks- pretty generous! but yeah, it does make guessing how long you'll actually have a book up in the air. I usually don't borrow more than four or five at a time, but right now have thirteen, and it feels like too much! Have to get my pile back to manageable size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really generous checkout period, Jeane. But even then, as you say, you can get taken by surprised when someone decides to request one of the books you expected to hold onto for a good while longer. I keep my library TBR stack in order of due dates, with the shortest fuses on top the stack. Seems like I'm re-juggling the stack at least twice a week lately. You might be right in that the only solution would be to limit the number of books checked out at any given moment to a less "ambitious" number.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I would like that library system very well; at my library, you can check out any and all books for three weeks, then if they're not on hold for anyone else, you can renew them for three more weeks. (Actually, you can renew them up to three times unless someone else puts that book on hold.) So I can usually count on having all my library books for 3-6 weeks. Which is nice when they all come in at once...like they always seem to do. 📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the 3-week segments of your system more than the way mine works. It still amazes me how often they show up in bunches between dry spells.

      Delete
  3. That all sounds pretty complicated to me! Glad to hear your initial reaction to House of Doors is positive. And if I had to prioritize, I'd recommend Tom Lake over Lessons in Chemistry.

    Yesterday I listened to the latest episode of The Book Club Review podcast and thought of you. The two regular hosts were joined by two others to discuss the Booker shortlist. Toward the end of the podcast, they tuned in to the live announcement of the winner... so interesting to hear their unfiltered live reactions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is episode #153, but I don't see it on their website yet...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the podcast info. I'll look for that one. The House of Doors is divided into "Parts," and it really begins to take off with Part 2 which details the murder trial at the heart of the novel. Part 1 is basically just an almost 100-page introduction to the characters and setting, including Maugham and his "secretary." This is the first thing of Eng's I've read, but according to his bio, this is just his third novel, and both of the earlier ones were also Booker Prize nominees.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a lot of book juggling. I can relate -- I try not to "lose books" I have from the library but sometimes they are due and I haven't been able to get to them. I hate to give them back up -- for another long wait on the wait list. Argh. I gave up Alice Winn's In Memoriam like that and I need want to get to it. The House of Doors has a premise that's quite different eh? I loved Somerset Maugham's books so I feel a bit protective of him ... will he be treated fairly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate to keep books beyond the checkout date, and try to only do it if I'm feeling unwell or unexpectedly find myself unable to get to the library, so the juggling can be a little irritating sometimes. And the way they invariably show up in bunches doesn't help.

      Maugham is I think treated very fairly in The House of Doors. He is at an uncomfortable period of his life when his sham marriage is really becoming more than he wants to put up with, and he's just lost his entire personal fortune in a bad stock investment. But he remains a sympathetic character to this point. Of course, I know very little about his real personal life, so this could be far off he mark for all I know.

      Delete
  5. I think I would find that new library system rather confusing. Mine works exactly the same as Lark's. As long as no one else wants the book I can renew it 3 more times. If I still haven't read it, I can then take it back into my library, reissue it and I've got another 3 weeks plus 3 more renewals. Not sure it's allowed but I do it anyway and have yet to find myself locked in the Tower....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could physically go to the library and have them place it back into the system just long enough to hand it back to me for my own self-checkout, but I haven't tried that yet. Wouldn't work on "holds," but should for others, I would think. The Tower could be uncomfortable and cold...stay out of there.

      Delete
  6. Am I hearing a bit of panic - that's not the right word, though. It just feels like a lot of pressure on you around books and reading. I told you a while back that I found myself reading three books at a time. Well, it didn't last long! I couldn't take it. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly frustration, Nan. Some of these books have been on hold since late July, and it appears that the library finally decided to splurge on more copies here at the end of the year. Probably a case of spend the budget...or lose it in January.

      Delete
  7. I'll be interested to see what you think of The Violin Conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just renewed this morning, so I'll have a little more time on it. Probably an early January read. I'm intrigued by the plot, and the writing style works for me, so I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  8. There are a lot of books you mention here that I am interested in: Tom Lake, maybe Lessons in Chemistry, The Last Talk with Lola Fay (or another book by Thomas H. Cook), The Road to Roswell, maybe The Violin Conspiracy. I will be looking forward to what you have to say about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a mountain, isn't it. I'm absolutely loving Tom Lake, and looking forward to the others. The only disappointment has been The Road to Roswell. It's just not for me because it strikes me as way too cute and silly, almost a satire on the genre. I know that Willis is really popular, but I'm thinking that you have to be a reader more attuned to that take on scifi than I will ever be.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sam, The Birth of Frankenstein has me really interested since it deals with Mary Shelley and I believe that famous weekend when in response to a challenge from Lord Byron she conceived the idea for Frankenstein.

    I hear you about the library and my problem is that no matter how much time they give me to finish a book something in my rebels that I am being timed and I end up taking most books back unread. I have to change that for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary and the Birth of Frankenstein is fascinating. I'm still only 80 pages in, and still in the overall setup of the climax, but I've come to know the main players in the story now and I'm enjoying it a lot.

      :-) You really do need to work on that rebellious streak, Kathy. I do feel more pressure to hurry books with short library fuses, but I do that to myself. Our system doesn't charge overdue fines at all, but somehow I just can't make myself be more than a day or two late in returning books. My eyes are bigger than my clock sometimes and I get myself overwhelmed.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.