Sunday, July 28, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (July 28, 2024)

 


I am eagerly awaiting announcement of the twelve or thirteen books that will comprise the 2024 Booker Prize longlist this Tuesday so that I can get an earlier start on the list than I managed last year. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying several books before I start trying to locate the first two or three of the prize-nominated "Booker Dozen." 


I'm about halfway through Graham Moore's The Sherlockian and I'm having quite a bit of fun with it. The novel, which centers around the 2010 murder of one of the Baker Street Irregulars, is told from two points of view: a club member who takes it upon himself to do what Sherlock would do and try to solve the murder himself and, in alternating chapters, that of Arthur Conan Doyle as he tries to cope with his decision to kill off Sherlock Holmes and move on with his life in the 1890s. It all makes me want to know more about the real Doyle...and those rabid fans of the stories.

I was clearing a box of books the other day and found Pat Buchanan's The Death of the West among a few others I decided to keep for re-reading. I'm only 60 or so pages into the book now, but it blows my mind that it was written in 2002 because everything that Buchanan predicted in The Death of the West is almost exactly what is happening in the world today. I don't remember taking the book all that seriously in 2002 because it seemed too fantastic to me to ever really happen - but it has. I wish more of us had paid attention to books like this one when they were published two decades ago.

I first heard about Claire Messud's This Strange Eventful History on a YouTube video claiming that it was one of the better books written so far this year. As it turns out, the novel is set in Algeria, a country I lived and worked in for almost a decade, so I was really curious. It covers seven decades of Algerian history (1940-2010) largely from the point of view of the pied-noirs, those Frenchmen whose families had/have lived in Algeria for their entire lives as they struggle to survive and maintain their identity through all the turmoil and war that has plagued Algeria for so long.

I have high hopes for Mrs. Plansky's Revenge even though I haven't started it yet (as the library clock is ticking away). I learned of this one over on the Staircase Wit blog (if you don't read that blog, you need to check it out), and it just punched all the right buttons for me. It's about a 98-year-old widow who falls for an AI scam that ends up emptying her bank accounts. Suddenly, she is near penniless - and she's not having it. After authorities don't offer her much hope of recovering her lost money, she decides she can do a better job finding the scammers herself. So she does. Can't wait to get started.

I did finish Lynda La Plante's The Dirty Dozen this week and was enough satisfied by La Plante's style to want to read more of her Jane Tennison series. Also, I'm still reading a few pages every few days from the Helen Keller autobiography The Story of My Life, but I'm finding it to be so dryly written that it's a bit of a slow read. I do plan to complete it, but I don't feel much of an urgency to get on with it. Next, I need to tackle four or five reviews that have stacked up since my road trip and the hurricane experience. I'm relying on some pretty detailed notes to do those, but I've seldom waited this long to write up my thoughts on what I've read so it's going to be a bit of a reach for me to do them justice.

I have no idea what comes next after this bunch - even though I have been on a bit of a book-buying binge this last few weeks - because of the anticipated Booker Prize announcements. I hope you all are doing well and reading away, too. I'll look forward to checking in to see what books you guys will add to my TBR list because that thing can never be too long, can it?

18 comments:

  1. Oh my, is it really Booker longlist time already?? I still have a couple from last year that I really want to read. Are you going to try and read them all again this year?

    I think Claire Messud is an amazing writer and have This Strange Eventful History on my kindle. Don't think I'll get to it until September or October, but her novels consistently end up on my favorites list. How interesting that you lived/worked in Algeria for a decade! My husband doesn't read a lot of fiction, but he's expressed interest in this novel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did seem to get here quick for me, I think because I got such a slow start on the Booker books last time. I do intend to read each of them, and if they are available the head-start should make that a lot easier this time around.

    I've not read Messud before but I already like her prose based on the few pages I've read of this one. My Algeria decade was roughly 1992-2002, so it overlaps with some of the novel. I'll be particularly interested in that period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Mrs. Plansky's Revenge and hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy, I hope so too. Do need to get started in the next couple of days, though, because I've got a library e-book version that they can suck up if someone else has placed it on hold.

      Delete
  4. I am looking forward to the Booker nominees too. Last year I read House of Doors which was on the longest and I really liked that novel This year I want to read more of the nominees and at some point I must read Prophet Song.

    I like the premise of Mrs Plansky's Revenge. People who prey on the elderly or anyone causing them financial ruin are the worst and so I am rooting for Mrs Plansky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow's the day, Kathy. You really do need to read Prophet Song at some point. That one still kind of haunts me.

      Mrs. Plansky's revenge is next up for me...as soon as I finish the last 100 pages of The Sherlockian, I'll finally get to begin it.

      Delete
  5. The Sherlockian does sound like a lot of fun. And I'm intrigued by Mrs. Plansky's Revenge. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on both. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sherlockian has definitely had its fun moments. It makes me want to go back and read all those Holmes classics again because all the clues are tied to those old stories. Mrs. Plansky has aroused a lot of curiosity...and I haven't read a negative remark about her yet.

      Delete
  6. Woah now that's some serious book blogging. Lovely Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate you stopping by with a comment.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, thanks for the mention! I hope you enjoy the book - I was thinking tonight that although I don't usually like humorous books (I rarely find them funny) maybe I needed something both different and amusing after having read something extremely dark.

    I am also surprised the Booker nominations are imminent. I haven't been very tempted in recent years but I always enjoy reading about them.

    By the way, loved your review of Demon Copperhead! I am about 80% done but had to take a break from the sheer misery of this book, brilliant though it is. I never wanted to read Hillbilly Elegy but feel I am getting the same experience without the smugness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished posting the Booker longlist for this year along with the American covers. I'm disappointed that one of the thirteen won't be published until after the shortlist is announced, but something similar happened last year, and if I call correctly, that one was the big winner.

    Thanks for your kind words about the Demon Copperhead review. I still love that book. You're right, I hadn't thought about it but it covers much the same ground as Hillbilly Elegy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of those books sound good but I am most interested in This Strange Eventful History and Mrs. Plansky's Revenge. Although the latter books sounds like much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading both of them at the moment - and Plansky is definitely a whole lot more fun. I'm getting worried about This Strange Eventful History because I'm starting to get that bogged down feeling about it - it needs to jumpstart itself really soon.

      Delete
  10. What were you doing in Algeria? Were you a journalist? That's a long time to be there. So you must have a good vantage point to judge the Messud book. I hope it's good ... I have not read her yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in the oil industry for several decades and was working for the first American oil company allowed back into Algeria when their national oil company finally admitted that they desperately needed foreign investment in oil production again. There were just a handful of Americans in Algiers when we got there but all that changed within a couple of years. That first year is an experience I wouldn't trade for anything, but once the assassination and kidnapping of ex-pats got out of control I was happy to get out of there.

      Delete
    2. Wow that must have been interesting being over there then .... and later dangerous. What an experience.

      Delete
    3. It was definitely both. As Americans, we were still naive about that kind of thing and assumed that none of us would be directly impacted while in country. We were stupid - but very lucky - because we did lose friends and colleagues to the civil war, some of whom died in terrible ways at the hands of those trying to overthrow the Algerian government in the nineties.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.