Thursday, July 11, 2024

Look for Me There - Luke Russert


Luke Russert's Look for Me There is, I think, a pretty frank and honest travel book and memoir, and I want to give Russert full credit for that. But in a nutshell, for me it's: not a bad book by an author I am left with mixed feelings about.

Luke Russert is the son of the beloved and universally respected news journalist Tim Russert. Tim Russert, while at work for NBC, died suddenly from a heart attack on June 13, 2008 while Luke (then 22 years old) was traveling in Italy with his mother. By October 2016, Luke himself had been eight years on the NBC career path he began after his father's death. But he was unhappy, unsatisfied, unfulfilled (you can choose the word or right combination of words), and decided to walk away from his job in order to explore the world for himself. 

"What pains me isn't just a latent wanderlust. The last eight years have been such a whirlwind that I've never fully processed my grief for Dad. It's apparent that I've spent so much time honoring his legacy that I've never truly accepted his death. Worse, by honoring that legacy, I have failed to forge my own life. I'm thirty years old and have no idea who I am..."

 So Luke, largely on his mother's dime, begins to travel from country to country as he slowly morphs into an Instagram addict who is only satisfied after he "drops a bomb" on his favorite social media platform. He stops traveling for pleasure and what he can learn about himself and the countries he explores, and begins to imagine that his Instagram followers actually need the content he posts:

"Whereas in the past I may have taken a moment to prep for the day so I could get more out of it, now I'm more focused on just getting it done and taking the needed pictures. Pictures are my muse. They provide content and, on Instagram, give people an idea of what I do. They somehow make me feel that I matter."

 I'm still not sure if Russert is telling me that he understands the shallowness of this admission, or if he's justifying the kind of traveler he soon enough became. Part of the reason that I wonder this is how terribly he resented his mother's attempts to tell him it was time to come home and get on with the rest of his life, to find some purpose in life other than keeping his Instagram followers happy enough to attach little hearts and comments to every picture he posted. 

But here's where it gets tricky. Luke grew up an over-protected son. According to Luke, his father never wanted to take a risk; he never traveled outside the country; he always had a plan for anything that could happen to himself or his family. And Tim expected Luke to live the same way. So did Luke begin his world travels as a way to run from that part of his father's legacy? Does traveling around the world solo make Luke feels as if he's beaten his father at something?

Long after everyone around him sees it, Luke finally does come around to the idea that he is wasting his life:

"What causes me the anxiety that leads to self-medicating? What am I searching for? Why did I feel so empty after living such a full, blessed, and privileged life?...Being part of a legacy also meant I was living in loss. I come to realize that I'm also beset with not only inadequacy but also its sibling - fear of failure - along with a real fear of mortality."

 Wrong as I likely am to be, this is where I end up with what Luke Russert has to say in Look for Me There:

Luke was a young man trying to live up to the expectations of a father he completely admired but to whom he felt that he could never measure up. His answer was to give up and wander the world and life for three years, finally deciding to be more like his mother: "spontaneous, creative, and experimental." 

Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. I hope he has his life together now.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sam. I am sorry about the problems you have had with Beryl. I am hoping things are getting better in Texas with the power because in this heat it can be life threatening.

    My feelings about Look For Me There are similar to yours. It's usually not a good decision when one is 30 to go wandering the globe for 3 years with no real purpose. His mother was right to worry. I agree with you too that Luke admired his father greatly. But he probably is more like his mother in seeking out adventure. I would be curious what Luke is doing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, there are still at least 900,000 people without power and it's really starting to cause problems for the elderly. An ambulance had to come for an elderly man just a block from my house yesterday because he was probably suffering a heat stroke from inside his home. I'm very lucky to have the big rechargeable inverters to get me enough power to at least run some fans and the internet for 12 hours or so before they have to be recharged. It's cloudy today, so temps are about ten degrees cooler on average than yesterday.

      I think my problem with Luke Russert is how much he convinced me that he is basically a spoiled brat who has never had to struggle or work for anything in his whole young life. I just don't think he gets it...or how he comes off in this book.

      Delete
  2. Nice review. I am not usually a memoir reader and I don't think it would appeal to me, but I think you identified why it may appeal to some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't recommend this one, Tracy. I only stuck with it to the end because of how much I admire the author's father and hoped he would have more to say about Tim.

      Delete
  3. I might usually go after this kind of book but I'm not sure I'm very interested in a whole book about that kind of author. Are you glad you read it, Sam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No glad at all, Cath. I was frustrated by Luke's behavior throughout the bulk of the memoir and felt tremendous sympathy for the way his mother worried about his longterm aimlessness and lack of self-awareness.

      Delete
  4. His mom paid for his travels? No wonder he could wander so long. I hope he's finally found himself and found something of value in his life. I did really like his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His mom, along with his trust fund and whatever savings he may have contributed. I hope he does well, too, because he sure got off to a slow start despite what he says about going to work immediately at NBC after his father did. No doubt in my mind that the name "Russert" got him the job - not to say he didn't have to perform in order to keep it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.