Monday, July 15, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (July 15, 2024)

 


Well, not much really.

Just staying as cool as possible these last few days while trying to find decent hot food at least once a day, gasoline for the small generator that has made life bearable, and making sure that various small lights, phones, and other devices are charged up by the time it gets pitch dark has taken a lot more time than I imagined it would. And even when I do sit down to read, I'm either too sleepy to concentrate, too hot to concentrate, or it's too dark to read because all the window covers are closed to minimize the inside temperature. (I hope I don't come across as a whiner, but I'm so frustrated by the totally incompetent response of CenterPoint to this storm that it feels good to vent a little.)

So I've been lucky if I read 30 pages a day, and that's not a lot of progress on the two 400-plus-page books I'm reading right now. That's the bad news; the good news is that both books are good.

This 2019 book is the fifth in Lynda La Plante's Tennison series, but it's the first one I've read even though I've enjoyed the Tennison television shows for a number of years now. Turns out, it's not a bad place to jump into the written series because it's set in 1980 just as Jane Tennison becomes the first female detective ever assigned to the Met's elite Flying Squad, otherwise known as the "Sweeney." I don't know about the rest of the series, but The Dirty Dozen is very much a detailed police procedural, and I'm really enjoying it.

Keith Pearson's tuned out makes for a real change of pace from the Tennison novel. I'm only about 60 pages in, and I'm still waiting on the "time travel" aspect that's promised in the book's subtitle, but I do find the prose style very readable. So far, it's the story of a 30-year-old university graduate who is sobered by his (and his whole generation's) chances of ever achieving the kind of financial success and security that all previous generations have achieved. He's tired of all the advice his parents  give him - and somehow (I think) manages to time travel back to the time they were his age. It's all very light, with a tone somewhere between sarcasm and irony, and I hope it remains so when the time travel bit finally starts.

I still have some reviews to help keep me awake and busy enough to forget that it's now 87 degrees at my desk as I write this up at 10:45 a.m. So here it is, Day 8 of no power, with a target date of "end-of-day July 19" for reconnection to the grid and serious doubt on my part that that will really happen. Of the 2.3 million people who lost power during Huricane Beryl, some 250,000 of us remain to be powered up. Lucky me being in the last 11%. 

Later, guys.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you have some good books to read right now, but SO sorry that your power is still out. And they say it won't be fixed until the end of this week? That's awful! This is not the lucky lottery you want to win. I don't know what I would do if my power was out for that long. Good luck staying cool! I hope they manage to get things fixed sooner than what they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a few days now with power back on, and that's been amazing. I felt like dancing around the room when the power suddenly came back on a couple of days before promised.

      Delete
  2. Sorry that you are suffering in this awful weather! It is pretty hot here too but only unbearable when waiting for the bus or subway. I did some gardening on Saturday but early in the day when it wasn't as bad.

    I read one Jane Tennison book which was disappointing but wondered if I should watch the show instead. My father used to enjoy it (or maybe he just enjoyed Helen Mirren).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It finally got to both of us, Constance. We struggled for several days just to keep pushing but now that we have had AC again for a few days we are feeling much better. This has been a brutal summer for the whole country, seems like.

      I'm really enjoying this La Plante novel now that I've gotten used to its very slow pace. I'm over 300 pages into what is a near-500 page book, and the third day of the story is just beginning. Very much a detailed procedural from the standpoint of what police work was like in 1980. That makes it interesting to me.

      Delete
  3. I just hope you are staying cool, the heat is punishing. In our town the library is a designated public 'cooling station' during the heat wave, but it sounds like you are kept full busy taking care of basics. Here's fingers crossed you get the power back on sooner than they're predicting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get the power back on a little sooner than promised and that really helped. Our library system offered its facilities as cooling stations, too, but our branch came back up on the same day that we did so I couldn't easily take advantage of that. Strangely enough our nearest Target store did the same by allowing people to come inside to cool off and charge their various electronic devices. I was amazed by how any outlets there are in that store.

      Delete
  4. Oh no. That's an inferno. I didn't realize you were in the 11% still without power. How awful. So sorry you are going thru this. It seems unbearable dealing with the heat. I so hope it will come on by the 19th. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the concern. It did actually come back on earlier than promised but we were both exhausted by then and it took us a few days to recover from the heat exhaustion we both experienced. I really feel for the people who suffered even more. I never did see a death tally for the storm, but I am willing to bet that at least a few elderly folks died from the heat.

      Delete
  5. Sam, you don't sound like a whiner at all. I can imagine that it is like a fulltime job to keep all of those things running, and that and the heat would be just overwhelming. I just hope it is getting better lately.

    Both of the books you mention in this post sound good. I hope to hear more about them. I am currently reading Lost Lands Forgotten Stories: A Woman's Journey to the Heart of Labrador, which Cath pointed me to, and an espionage novel by Anthony Price, War Game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, it's amazing how dependent we have become on devices that need to be recharged every 24 hours or so. That really did turn into a full time job, one of those things that nagged at us constantly. Much better now that we have AC again and have had a few days to recover from the effects of the heat.

      Can't wait to catch up with your thoughts on what you've been reading. I'll look forward to hearing about those.

      Delete
  6. Hope you are okay. It has been quite a few days since you posted. Hoping you and your wife are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your concern, Nan. We both suffered some relatively minor heat exhaustion, I think, but are feeling much better these last couple of days. We were very lethargic and felt exhausted for several days during which we pushed to get as much cleaning up done around here as we could. We're still not quite done, but taking it in smaller bites seems to have helped.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.