Wednesday, July 29, 2020

What a Damned Mess

I've been working for two hours on a post featuring my favorite detective series of all time, eleven of them. I wrote up a summary of each of the series and included pictures of all the authors. 


The Blogger Software system started acting up in the middle of my work by failing to save all of what I had written, so I started saving repeatedly and checking over and over to make sure it was all there. Then, when I finally had it all together, proof-read, and ready to post, I did a "preview screen" only to see that everything has been lost but the mess shown below. 


I don't have the heart to do this again because Blogger is obviously not permanently saving everything right now. I surrender, Blogger, you win.


Extra credit to the first person who can even name all eleven series based just on this mess:



A fellow book-blogger (thank you, Lark) posted a couple of days ago about the various book series that she is following and how far behind in some of them she has fallen. That got me curious enough about my own love of detective series to do a little recap of my own. I’ve been reading some of these series for a long time and I’m reluctant to take on new ones because they still account for a substantial portion of my annual reading hours.

 

1. The


2. The


3. The



4. The


5. The


6. The


7. The

8. The


9. The Poke Rafferty series by Timothy Hallinan - This is one of three series I read that are no longer being added to by author choice or author death. The series began in 2007 with A Nail Through the Heart and ended just this year with Street Music. All of the books are set in Bangkok and feature some of my favorite fictional characters of any crime series I've ever read. I've read all nine of these and wish there were another dozen or so coming but Tim says this is it.

10. The


11. The

That's "officially" it for the number of series I'm currently reading or, in one case, have completed. I say "officially" because I've probably already accidentally started new series, or two, that I don't recognize as such yet. That's the way it usually happens; the right book comes along and grabs you. Then if you are very, very lucky you find yourself at the very beginning of a new series or, maybe even better, you discover a wonderful backlisted series that will keep you reading for years. 







15 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Have you changed over to the new interface? I've tried it twice now and both times had such issues with getting the pics posted I gave up and went back to the old Legacy interface. That's only available until the end of August so before then I must get this sorted but to tell the truth it's really annoying (stronger word required but I don't swear online) me. I love blogging but this is really putting me off it at the moment. I hope your problem will be sorted soon... I wonder if you caught it at a moment when Blogger was having problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the new interface, Cath. I've been using it for a while and I'm more-or-less happy with it until now. I've noticed a couple of times before that it was not saving but it sorted itself out before my final save and post. I think there are still bad bugs in this version of the software.

      Delete
    2. Interesting reading all your responses here and seeing that we're all agreed more or less. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks now before trying again. If you find out where to write to them could you let me know as I would like to do that too.

      Delete
    3. Cath, there's a little question mark icon at the bottom of the work page that is titled "Help and Feedback." you can send them something from there. I did that a few minutes ago, but can only hope it gets to the right people. If not, looks like I'll soon be dead in the water.

      Delete
  2. I'm back on the legacy interface. I'd like to know how many bloggers really like the new interface. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps changing on me, Jen. Some of the features I especially liked (like the drag & drop photo placement) have disappeared and reverted back to the way it is done in the older version. And now this...

      Delete
  3. Oh, no! I'm so sorry. If this happened because of the new blogger interface then that's really bad. I hate the new interface and really want them to keep the legacy one. Think if we all complain they'll change back? Probably not. Hope your next post goes getter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are getting some feedback. I plan to write them this afternoon if I can figure out how to get my note where it needs to go. They are definitely not ready for prime time as it stands right now.

      Delete
  4. UGHHHH, I had a similar experience today where it copied and pasted something I did elsewhere into a post and, it looked like it was there but then when I previewed, it disappeared, so I had to retype it.

    Then things I had left aligned ended up centered when posted - what a frustrating mess! I'm back on original version for time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably going to revert to the original version for my next post. What really kills me about this mess-up is that it looked perfect in Preview. Then I posted, and it turned into a jumbled up mess.

      Delete
  5. That's so frustrating. I've had it happen before- but not recently. I'm on the new interface- there's some things about it I find annoying, but the one benefit is that I can finally locate all my old posts using search when I'm behind the scenes. Before, it wouldn't find anything far back past a certain date- I'd have to scroll through pages and pages of post listings instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeane, I agree with you. There are definitely some features that work better than in the old version, but they really need to get all the bugs out of the new interface before the end of August when they plan to remove access to the original version of the software. That would be a terrible mistake.

      Delete
  6. Yes, remove all the bugs first before pulling the rug out from under us! I was trying to update my review indexes last night, and there was much blue smoke and gnashing of teeth. I'd gotten used to the changes and was relatively okay with the new interface, then they started changing the new things that I'd gotten used to. It took me ten times longer to do my updates last night. I'm afraid I'm in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but there are always magpie folks who want shiny new things on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid they are in the process of breaking it right now rather than enhancing anything. I did leave some feedback a few minutes ago, and I'm hoping they take a look at the problem soon. Otherwise, I will be completely unable to post when they make the switch...and that will be a first i over 13 years of using this service.

      Delete
  7. I am happy to report that New Blogger was working fine today when I prepared my post for my August reading plan. The disappearing memory problem may have been fixed, but only time will tell for sure. Keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.