Saturday, July 25, 2020

How Charles M. Schultz Used Peanuts to Promote Reading and Libraries

I love the way that Charles Schultz used his Peanuts comic strip to promote reading and libraries over the decades. Here are just a few examples of how he did it:















The real beauty of Schultz sharing his reading passion the way he did is that he didn't always have to use long, complicated panels to do it. Sometimes he did it without using any words at all, so that even his youngest readers could see their favorite characters enjoying books so often, and in so many ways. 

(Click on images for a larger view.)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for including all of these together! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And these are just the ones I found yesterday. I imagine there must be a lot more of these out there.

      A friend of mine was Schultz's lawyer for a number of years, and when he retired Schultz drew a several-panel cartoon inserting him as a cartoon character among the Peanuts crew...even used his last name in it. Needless to say, it is autographed, framed, and hanging in a prominent spot in the guy's home. I was always impressed by that gesture.

      Delete
  2. Love these! But then I've always been a huge Snoopy fan. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanuts is among my all-time favorite comic strips. No doubt about it.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea he did this on puropse. How wonderful! Loved Little Women by Ben Hur, not seen that one before. Trying to remember what the little sister is called but I love it when she howls with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that there are many more examples to be found because it only took me a few minutes to find this many on Google and Bing.

      Sally is the little sister. She quickly became one of my favorite characters because of the relationship she had with her big brother.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.