Saturday, July 18, 2020

Quodophiles, One and All

Apparently, I am what is called a quodophile - although I would not recommend that you waste your time looking for the word in any dictionary because you won't be finding it there. And, I’m betting that just about every other book blogger is probably a quodophile, too, because the word simply means that you are a collector of quotes. In our case, that would most often be quotes from authors or books that we read. I’m not sure if writing the quotes down in a little notebook or storing your collection somewhere in the cloud is required for quodophile qualification, but I suspect that it probably is. (Note to self: the only reason your Word dictionary does not flag “quodophile” is that you’ve added it to the dictionary yourself.)

 

Here, for example, are a few favorites I’ve logged in the last few months:


"Words. He might as well have picked them at random. They could have escaped from a thesauris in a poorly coordinated jailbreak, emerging into the light as absolute strangers, blinking at each other in total incomprehension." (Describing Poke Rafferty's attempt to write about the birth of his son)




"How often we made our worst fears come true by behaving as though they already were."

(Inspector Gamache's observation during a Three Pines murder investigation)

"Where was the religion for a man who believed that good and bad must coexist, even within the individual? Where was the religion for a man who believed in God, but not in God's religion?" (Inspector John Rebus reflecting on his relationship to God and to organized religion)

"It's 3:12 a.m., October 1, 2016. I have turned seventy. Daylight will bring slices of cake and cheerful goodwill. It will be like celebrating a hernia."

(Tim O'Brien's thoughts upon concluding his seventh decade on the planet)


"Every book in every bookstore is a fresh beginning. Every book is the next iteration of a very old story. Every bookstore, therefore, is like a safe-deposit box for civilization."


Two quotes from this one: "Death is the price we pay for life." And, "Real aging starts when your oldest child is fifty. You are in your seventies, you call your children 'kids,' and realize how young you were in your fifties."



Not all of the quotes are the most pleasant thoughts to contemplate...but each of them will make you think.

10 comments:

  1. And they did too... make me think that is. I like the Louise Penny one, Gamache is always so wise. I must look up Growing Old. My husband turned 70 in the week and is not thrilled but as he said, the alterantive is not too great a concept either! I also reminded him that so far he's lived longer than his father and his sister who died at 65 and 63 respectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to cherish every year that we have left, Cath, however many that turns out to be. The friend that I lost last week from the virus was 67 (or may have just turned 68) and his 65-year-old brother died about six months ago from natural causes. Can you imagine how their 92-year-old mother must suddenly feel, having outlived two of her three sons in just the last few months?

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh, how horrible for their elderly mother to lose two sons like that. Parents aren't supoosed to outlive their children but it seems to happen more and more now. A friend of mine has incurable cancer and has been told at best she might have ten years, she's 52. So her poor mother not only lost her husband to it about 10 years ago, she will now lose her daughter too and will probably outlive her. It just makes you want to cry. You have it spot on, Sam. Cherish every year... every moment to be honest.

      Delete
    3. It is difficult to even imagine what your friend and her mother are going through, Cath. Even in the case I described, it is hard to figure out how someone as old as their mother could possibly survive the shock of losing her two sons so close together - especially at this stage in all their lives.

      Delete
  2. I do have a notebook full of my favorite quotes from books I've read over the years. Guess that makes me a quodophile, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, all you need now is a membership card to carry around in your wallet.

      Delete
  3. I love me a good quote, although I'm really bad about writing them down. I have been keeping a journal of reading/bookish quotes for many years, although - as I said - I haven't been very good about keeping it updated. Do I get to be a quodophile, even though I'm such a slacker??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely...your bonus points for doing this for so long more than offset your slacker demerits. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, these are all so good, Sam! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them. Collecting quotes is sort of like collecting sea shells; you never know what you might stumble across next.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.