Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sometimes, walking around inside an old cemetery is exactly what you need.

The Monument Added to Sam Houston's Grave in 1911

(Clicking on an image will open a much larger version of it.)

I woke up this morning and knew that if I didn't get out of the house to do something different the top of my head was going to blow right off. To keep that from happening, I decided to drive 50 miles north to visit the Oakwood Cemetery in Huntsville, Texas. Because Oakwood is the cemetery in which Sam Houston is buried, I've been there several times before without seeing anyone else around, so it seemed like the perfect spot to take a break during this endless pandemic. And I did end up having the place pretty much to myself for the entire two hours I wandered around, so it was a very peaceful way to recharge a little.
 
A typical family plot inside the cemetery 

I've mentioned Sam Houston here many times, but so much has changed since the last time I brought up the man's name, I feel that I should say something about him again. Keep in mind that he led the army that gained Texas its independence from Mexico, that he was president of the Republic of Texas, that he was twice a U.S. Senator after the new state joined the Union, and that he is the only American ever to have been governor of two different states (Texas and Tennessee). In the day, he was both an Indian fighter and such an admirer of the Indian culture that one Indian chief adopted him as a son. 

Explanation for high percentage of headstones dated 1867

And yes, he owned a handful of slaves for part of his life. But I refuse to let the "cancel culture" vultures out there convince me to write off the rest of the man's life and accomplishments because he did something that, terrible as it was, was the norm for his time. I am one who continues to believe that context is important when considering different periods of history, and that history should not be so carelessly rewritten by those so ignorant they would destroy statues of Booker T. Washington and prominent abolitionists in their mob-induced frenzy. Well, enough said...probably too much said, actually.

The 1867 epidemic played no favorites. Several clergymen and doctors were also claimed.

I'll let the cemetery speak for itself via a few of the pictures I took there today. Over the past few years, the cemetery does not seem to be getting the upkeep it received in prior years, so parts of it are a little rough. Many of the headstones date from the early 1800s, and in addition to Houston, there are a few other fairly prominent Texans buried in Oakwood. But I have to admit that because the more neglected version of the grounds somehow makes it all seem so much older than it even is, I kind of like it this way. 

There were way too many headstones telling stories similar to this one.

Off by itself, shaded by a nice cluster of trees, is the Powell Sanctuary. The Powells were a prominent Huntsville family who opened this place of meditation inside the cemetery in 1934.



And finally, a few representative headstones:










All in all, this has been a good day, exactly the kind of break from all this COVID-19 talk that I needed. Now it's back to the real world.

8 comments:

  1. I feel like I can relate Sam. (we searched and visited Emily Dickinson's grave last year). Even reading is becoming less enjoyable. Right now I'm finding audio books a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are definitely tough times, Diane. It would help if there were any way to genuinely estimate how long this is going to last. But now it's all so tied up in politics and personal agendas that none of us know what to believe anymore.

      It's really hard to concentrate on anything right now like I used to be able to do it, even reading. I did listen to a wonderful audiobook (love the reader) called "Britt-Marie Was Here" that I absolutely loved. Hoping to write up a review tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I love old cemeteries! I've even visited some when I've gone on vacation. Thanks for sharing photos of this one. They're great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old cemeteries always give me a sense of the continuity of the human race. The only thing about them that kind of breaks my heart a little is seeing some of the headstones that are so old that all the writing on them, including the names of the deceased, are about to disappear.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Lark. I adore old cemeteries. I find them peaceful, not at all creepy. It's always fun to see where important people are buried (although my visits are usually to visit family/ancestors). I don't know much about Sam Houston, but it sounds like he was a great man.

    I also love the Christus statue. It's one that is important in my faith. In fact, our new church logo is based on it. I have a small-ish (maybe a foot tall) Christus statue on my loft, which overlooks my living room. I like to tell my kids to behave because Jesus is always watching them :) LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam Houston was a "character" in every sense of the word, but he managed to carve his place deep in Texas history just when the people here needed someone exactly like him to step up.

      The statue is said to be one of the few copies in the United States to have been made to the exact specifications of the original piece. It sits off to one side of the cemetery in a small grove of trees, and it's a truly peaceful spot to sit on the stone bench for a moment.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful cemetery with some fascinating epitaphs. Modern cemeteries are often so...efficient and sterile. Older cemeteries can be beautiful and shaded, a place for contemplation. And escape from four walls during a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jen, that modern cemeteries are very sterile. I find it so much easier to reach a level of peacefulness in an old cemetery than it any modern one I've ever been in. There's just something about all those headstones that make me feel so directly tied to the past. And I like that feeling.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.