Friday, July 24, 2020

A Late Mid-Year Look at My 2020 Reading Goals


I started adding up the numbers this afternoon to see what kind of progress, if any, I’ve been making toward meeting my 2020 reading goals. After getting over my initial disappointment at the lack of much real progress, I realized that, considering the on-again-off-again slump I’ve been in for most of the year, I shouldn’t be all that surprised by what the numbers are telling me.

 

Coming into the year, my goals were simple enough:

 

1.    To read more American and World History (1)

2.    To read more translated works (4)

3.    To read from my own bookshelves (12)

4.    Read more literary classics (1)

5.    Read books published between 1920 and 1979 (7)

6.    Read the earliest books from series I stated mid-way (7)

7.    Read more foreign titles not from Canada or the U.K. (5)

 

As you probably guessed already, the numbers in parentheses represent the number of books from each category that I’ve read to this point in the year. Even if I manage to double those numbers by the end of 2020, I’m going to be way short on my goals for several of the categories.

 

And I know why this is happening. In the past, the vast majority of my reading has been done in physical books that I either purchased for myself or acquired from the local library. Now that both libraries and bookstores are locked up tight, and physical books are so much harder to get hold of, I’ve been forced to read more e-books than ever before. Library e-books tend to be more recently published ones than not, and bookstore e-books are so expensive that I don’t buy all that many of them. (Just last week I purchased too e-books that, with tax, ended up costing me right at $32. I’m sorry, but that seems outrageous to me, because it is almost the cost of physical copies of the same two books, one of which was published in 2020 and the other in 1985.)

 

The result is that of the 64 books I’ve read to-date, 41 of them were published in either 2019 or 2020. And that doesn’t play well with some of my goals. I was a bit surprised to see that I’ve read 26 e-books and 25 physical books, a smaller number of e-books than it’s felt like I’ve been reading. But, throw in the 13 library audiobooks I’ve read this year, and it all starts to make sense why two-thirds of my reading has been confined to books published in the last 18 months. Library holds for e-books and audiobooks are a wonderful thing right now, don’t get me wrong, but choices are so heavily weighted toward newer books that it’s easy to find yourself reading almost exclusively nothing but bestsellers and other “hot” titles. And that’s what has happened to me since March.

 

Other tidbits that jump out at me:

·      5 abandoned books (a much lower number than usual for this time of year)

·      39 books written by men, 24 by women, and 1 co-authored by one of each

·      4 books by British writers, 4 by Canadians, 2 by Iranians, 1 by a Nigerian, 1 by a Swede, and 1 by a Frenchman

 

I love crunching numbers almost as much as I love reading – as you can probably tell.

10 comments:

  1. It has definitely been a strange time, and I suppose reading will reflect that in a lot of people. I read today about someone who had gotten rid of some books during the virus. As for me, ho hum. Pretty much same amount of books, pretty much books I would have read any time, and luckily, happily, I have so loved most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What bothers me most about going into a reading slump, Nan, is that for a period of at least a few days I seem to get super-critical about everything I'm reading, even to the point where I start to wonder if I'm being fair to the books. The best cure for me personally is a book so good that it can't be affected by my mood...but those are so rare that the slumps seem to go on for a while sometimes.

      And the book I finished this morning, "The Choice," was most definitely not the cure to this one.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting exercise (I too enjoy looking at what I've achieved as I go through the year). First of all I think 64 books so far is excellent. I reached 51 this week... I'm not a quick reader and for me that feels not bad given what we've all been going through. The breakdown is 40 of my own books, 11 library books. *But* as you have found, the 40 of my own are not all longterm tbr books that have been on my shelves for years. Some are, but quite a few are new buys that I slipped onto my Kindle over the past few months. Like you I don't know why ebooks are almost as dear as real ones. $32 is outrageous for two books that have not had to be printed or shipped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what kills me most about the price of major publisher e-books is the way they are always advertised as being sold at a 40% or 50% discount to the hardcover versions. Of course, they peg their discount percentage calculation the hardcover's cover price, a price that is seldom really payed by most people anyway.

      If the major publishers would drop their e-book prices to something in the $7 to $8 range, I would buy lots of them and they would make more money by selling more books to me. As it is, $15 plus tax is too much unless I'm desperate - as I was to get my hands on those last two.

      Delete
  3. I'm so cheap. I depended on the library for years and now I depend on NetGalley and Kindle Unlimited. Nothing offends me like paying for a book and then not liking it, something that has happened several times lately. One thing I like about ebooks--I can enlarge the print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do much the same - but that's probably why the major publishers price-gauge the libraries to such a degree for ebooks these days.

      I do think that $15 each, plus tax, for "Street Music" and "Lonesome Dove" ebooks is crazy.

      At least with hardcopies, you can donate or sell them if it turns out you don't like them or want to keep them around. That's another option you don't have with an e-book. It's hard enough even to "lend" someone an e-book.

      Delete
  4. Bookish numbers are about the only numbers I like to crunch. :) And at least you've read a lot of books from your own shelves! Is your library still closed? Mine is only open for curbside checkout, but I'm very grateful for that because at least I can still put library books on hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library has/had curbside service. Not sure that they still do since my county got even stricter a couple of weeks ago than they had been recently about masking and the like. I know they are still taking holds for physical books, but none of mine have come up or seem to be moving me up the line any.

      Delete
    2. That's the worst. My library has a backlog of new books from last March when it closed that they still haven't processed and entered into the system. Half the books I look up lately say "On Order" which has come to mean "You'll never get to check these books out!" ;D

      Delete
    3. I get the impression that the bulk of our system's budget is being spent on e-books and audiobooks. I guess that makes good sense, considering the social distancing we are involved in, but it will probably have a negative longer term effect on library patrons than anyone realizes right now.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.