Sunday, July 05, 2020

More Books I Don't Want You to Miss

Here are a few more books that caught my eye in the last couple of weeks. I've read one of the four books from my June 13 list, Nothing to See Here, and still have the other three on hold at my library. I'm a little tired of reading so many e-books, but that still seems to be the quickest (safest?) way to get hold of new books for now.

So, these are the ones I'm adding to my virtual TBR list this week:



Street Music is Tim Hallinan's ninth Poke Rafferty novel, a series that has been one of my favorites for the last several years. Poke is an American travel writer (and much, much more) who lives with his Thai family in Bangkok. I am still in the denial stage of grieving the end of Poke Rafferty books, so I will probably not be reading this one for a while myself. If you don't know Poke Rafferty, book one is 2007's A Nail Through the Heart.




Katherine Hill's A Short Move is a literary novel about a professional football player - but it is not so much about what happens on the field as what happens off it. This seems to be one of those rare sports novels that focus on what happens before and after the big games, "between seasons, after the sun of youth sets." It was published in paperback on June 23 and, irritatingly enough, the e-book version cost about the same as the paperback. (Pet peeve.) 



What's Left of Me Is Yours
is by Stephanie Scott. a British/Singaporean novelist. Apparently, it's a thing in Japan for one party to hire a "breaker-upper" to seduce his/her spouse in order to get the advantage in divorce proceedings. The novel is, I think, based on an actual murder trial in Japan that happened after a "breaker-upper" and the wife he was hired to seduce fall deeply in love. 


Disappearing Earth
by Julia Phillips tells the story of two young sisters who are abducted off of a remote Russian beach. It's a mystery that doesn't focus so much on the "whodunit" portion of the story as it does on how their disappearance affects the people they left behind: "a witness, a neighbor, a detective, and a mother." It sounds very atmospheric, too.  


That's it for this time. Four more books, only one or two of which I'm very likely ever to find the time to get to. So a little help? Read one or two of these (and the previous eight I've mentioned) and tell me what you think about them and what I'm missing.


12 comments:

  1. The Poke Rafferty series is completely new to me so I must look into that. A breaker-upper? Wow... that kind of leaves me a bit speechless. But it's the last one that appeals, set in Russia, I bet that would fascinating. Interesting selection as always, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recommend the Poke Rafferty books enough, Cath, but I have to warn everyone that they can get a little dark at times because of the setting. The sex industry in Bangkok is a big part of that city's economy, so Poke spends a lot of time rescuing some of its victims. That's an essential part of who he is.

      The Russian setting always intrigues me, but most fiction set in Russia seems to be set in Moscow or Siberia. This one is set in a very different part of that country (I think) and that appeals to me, too.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm already hooked on the Poke Rafferty series after reading the first one. Will have to check on the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I told you this once before, but I envy you still having the opportunity to read these nine books in order. I was all over the map with the first eight, and I have to wonder how different an experience it would have been to read them in order.

      Delete
  3. Disappearing Earth looks intriguing. And who knew Japan had professional breaker-uppers? So crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the Poke Rafferty book, the one I'm really hoping to work in first is that Japanese story. Japanese crime fiction can be very dark, so I can imagine that this one will be rather noirish, too.

      Delete
  4. Street Music and Disappearing Earth both made my Best Reads of 2020 list. We're in agreement about Poke, so I'm hoping that you'll enjoy Julia Phillips' book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to that one, Cathy. It will probably be a while before I can get my hands on a copy, but it's going on the hold list.

      Delete
  5. Disappearing Earth is on my list, too, and it's one I really hope to read before the end of the year. What's Left of Me is Yours is new to me, but sounds fascinating. So many books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fascinated by contemporary novels set in Japan because of how different they are to my overall impression of that country and its culture. You're right...so many books...

      Delete
  6. Oh, DISAPPEARING EARTH sounds intriguing. I'll have to give that one a closer look. It's sounds like one I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the sound of that one, but it's that Japanese murder mystery that still intrigues me the most. Such a nice twist to that one.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.