Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Johnson Country Library Moving Books Five Tons at a Time



My librarian friends might want to file this video in the backs of their minds for future reference.  Based upon the big stir this book-moving method has caused in the Kansas media, this more efficient and timesaving  approach to moving books must be something relatively new.

The Johnson County Central Resource Library (in Overland, KS) is faced with moving approximately 200,000 books as part of its renovation project.  According to the library, moving the books the way shown in this video will save the project 12 extra weeks of work that would have otherwise been required if the books had been moved by hand.  

So this is either a something new - or it was a very slow news-day in and around Kansas City, Missouri.  Not sure which.

4 comments:

  1. That's so cool! There is always a library in my area being renovated it seems but I never thought about how they moved the books! I wonder if they did it/do it like that? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, too, Stefanie, if this method is common or something fairly new in moving library shelves. This particular move was covered by several TV stations and newspapers, leading me to believe that it was an innovative idea on the part of the library and the movers.

      Delete
  2. Funny that this was newsworthy, but I showed it to my kids both who love the library and also know what it's like to live with lots and lots of books (moving day awfulness). They thought it was cool, and my ten year old was very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what most surprised me was that one single shelf weighed in at 10,000 pounds of books. Well, that and I wondered why it took what looks like such a simple solution to the problems of moving thousands of books at a time so long to come into play. But I agree with your kids...pretty cool.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.