Friday, October 31, 2008

Tagged

Frances, over at NonSuchBook tagged me for a meme four days ago and, in my usual tardy manner, I'm finally getting around to responding to the tag.

The rules are simple:
Pass it on to five other bloggers, and tell them to open the nearest book to page 56.

Write out the fifth sentence on that page, and also the next two to five sentenc.

The CLOSEST BOOK, not your favorite or most intellectual.
So let's see what happens and whether or not this snippet from page 56 of In Memory of Central Park: 1853-2022 creates any interest in Queenelle Minet's dark vision of the future, a review copy of which I'm just about to finish up.

I'm going to warn you that these sentences, taken out of context, are going to read pretty strangely - but maybe, just maybe, they will intrigue a few people enough that they go out and find a copy of the book (it's a good one). So here goes:
"A hooded confessor, his face is always in shadows, but instead of purple robes, he wears a Campfire Girls of America T-shirt. And instead of Hail Mary's and penance, he prescribes free thinking and rebellion. You want to sleep with your sister? Why not do it? You want to tell your boss what you think of him? What's stopping you?

Phillipe's whole life has been a struggle against limits; first, the limits of his disability and then, sending his rage out into the world like a teenage thug, any limits he could find to bash against."
That will be rather mystifying, I suspect, but I'll be finishing the book this weekend and should have a full review up next week.

Since I'm late to the party again, I won't directly tag anyone. But feel free to experiment on your own...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.