Friday, October 31, 2008

Studs Terkel Dead at 96


Studs Terkel, a symbol of Chicago for so many years, has died. Mr. Terkel, according to the Chicago Tribune, suffered a fall two weeks ago that seems to have led to his death, something that so often happens to people in their eighties and nineties.
Most of his books were written radio. Terkel asked questions and then listened. He drew out of people things they didn't know they had in them.

"I think of myself as an old-time craftsman," Terkel said. "I've been doing this five days a week, for more than 30 years. When I realize the work is slipping, I'll quit. But I don't think I've reached that point yet. I still have my enthusiasm. I still love what I do."

And he was far from finished doing it.
What will be his last book, "P.S. Further Thoughts From a Lifetime of Listening," is scheduled for a November release. Terkel was a one-of-a-kind writer who lived a unique life. I'll miss him.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of this icon. I still listen to Working, based on his massive volume of interviews. I saw the play first, bought the album, then the CD when it came out, and read the book as well. My favorites: Al, who "don't move anybody's seat," the teacher, the waitress - "I'm not just a waitress, I'm a one-man show" -- oh, too many favorites.

    Love the title of his last book and will certainly be looking for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenclair, Terkel was one of those one-of-a-kind guys that no one will ever forget. I really admire people who can create a unique niche for themselves and proceed to fill it for multiple decades. I really liked the guy.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.