Monday, September 09, 2024

Orbital - Samantha Harvey (2024 Booker Prize Nominee)

 


(This begins what will likely be a months-long project to read and review the thirteen 2024 Booker Prize nominees. I read James by Percival Everett, another of the nominees, in June 2024. That review can be found here.)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The premise of Samantha Harvey's Orbital is a promising one that offers numerous possibilities for exploration. Six people are in orbit around the earth in the international space station: two Russian men, an American man, a British woman, an Italian man, and a Japanese woman. Three of them have already been there for three months by the time that the other three arrive to begin their own six-month stints in obit around the planet. At this point, the reader would expect to learn more about the daily routines and assignments of the individual astronauts, their motivations for being there, a little about how they ended up becoming space explorers, and maybe best of all, what kind of personal relationships, emotional bonds, or irritations from each other's constant presence will develop over time. 

And to be fair, there's some of all of those things in Orbital. Just not enough.

Harvey tries hard to make each of her six characters into the unique individuals they deserve to be, even going so far as to labeling them this way early on:

Anton (Russian) - "the spaceship's heart,"

Pietro (Italian) - "its mind,"

Roman (Russian) - "its hands" and current captain,

Shaun (American) - "its soul,"

Chie (Japanese) - "its conscious," and

Nell (British) - "its breath."

Harvey, especially at first, offers some compelling, well-written observations such as when she mentions that the six are a kind of "floating family." She says:

"They are both much more and much less than that. Even the slightest mood swing can drastically change how they see and feel about each other. They sometimes get a feeling of merging."

...or when she explains how safe they all have come to feel inside their self-contained little world:

"...they are encapsulated, a submarine moving alone through the vacuum depths, and when they leave it they will feel less safe. They will reappear on the earth's surface as strangers of a kind. Aliens learning a mad new world."

There are just not enough moments like these despite the personal losses and fears some of the six try to keep hidden from the rest of the crew.  This is not a long book (probably the shortest of the thirteen nominees), and the reader is only along for the ride for 16 days worth of orbits. The sights outside the space station windows can change only so much, and the observations and reactions of six people to those sights even less. With repetition, those observations, and the prose used to describe them, begin to get less and less striking or effective relatively quickly. 

I hate to say it, but I was ready to reach the end of Orbital long before I got there. I hoped it would be saved by one of those big, dramatic endings that sometimes work so well, but Orbital just sort of fizzled away until it was done and gone.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Personal Ratings for 2024 Booker Prize Nominees:

James - Percival Everett - 4.5 stars

Orbital  - Samantha Harvey - 2.0 stars

6 comments:

  1. It's never good when a short novel starts to feel too long. Sounds like this one needed a little more plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a bad sign. If this had not been a Booker novel, I probably would have abandoned it no matter how few pages remained.

      Delete
  2. I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Are all six together? How do they manage that when three arrived separately? I guess I don't understand 21st century space travel.

    I have said this before but they don't make Bookers the way they used to! Most of these do not sound appealing at all. I read yesterday that James is on many people's best book of the year list, and I know you and my mother both liked it but I never liked Huckleberry Finn much.

    My book group is coming for dinner tomorrow night. I wish the house were clean so I could stop tidying up and watch MNF (I am cheating and have it on in the other room).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in the international space station, all at the same time. It apparently holds six astronauts at a time. In this instance, they are all set for six-month assignments in space, but in order to keep the thing running efficiently they are broken into two groups. So every three months a new crew of three is being sent up to the station. Three new ones replace the three finishing up their six months by joining the three who have only been there for three months. I hope that makes some kind of sense...the more I write the more confused I get trying to explain it. lol

      James is based on the first half of Huckleberry Finn's plot, but it's a much rougher and more realistic view of that world. The second half of the book is pretty brutal and veers completely away from Twain's story. It's the best of the lot I've read so far, and I'm surprised at just how ordinary some of the recent nominees have been.

      If you have to be cleaning house that time of night, at least you can crank up the MNF...could be a whole lot worse.

      Delete
  3. I got the idea back when the booker nominees were announced that these six people are confined to a very small space and six people living in very small quarters sounded depressing. And also what is the author trying to say with this plot? Curious why the Booker committee would have chosen Orbital as a nominee and how many other very fine books were left off the longest list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to a more psychological approach to the mental difficulties inherent to six people being crammed together for so long, but that's barely touched upon really. I don't think the author much cares about plot in this one, but I never felt a coherent theme, either, nothing to hold it together for me. I suspect this one will end up at the bottom of my ratings list for this year's prize. If not, I dread the one that will turn out to be even worse. lol

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.