Monday, September 02, 2024

A Study in Scarlet - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

 

This is, I'm fairly certain, my fourth time to read Arthur Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet in the last five decades or so, but I don't remember ever enjoying it more than I did this time around. Perhaps that's due to my by now longterm familiarity with the Sherlock Holmes character, or maybe it's because I appreciate different aspects of mystery writing than I did when I first began to read that genre so regularly. Probably a bit of both.

I'm always on the lookout for a good, solid mystery, one that challenges me to recognize the bad guy before the author gets around finally to exposing him near the end of the story. That I seldom come up with the correct answer, if I come up with an answer at all, does not discourage me from continuing to try. Needless to say, the author has to play by the rules, giving me a fair chance to figure things out for myself - no withholding of key pieces of evidence that the fictional detective has access to - if I'm ever going to read him again.

Doyle impressed me from the beginning (this is the introduction of the Sherlock Holmes character) as an author who would play fair even though his fictional detective would likely know exactly who the criminal was long before story's end. Holmes, being the deductive genius he is, would always rather easily identify the proper suspect early on, but would continue to give clues to the reader as he worked to prove his theory beyond a doubt so that a strong case could be successfully prosecuted. So the pressure was always on the reader to catch up.

Sherlock Holmes arrives upon the literary scene a flawed genius, someone whose personal failings the reader can identify with while, at the same time, being awed by the man's astounding genius. No one will ever get more from walking around a crime scene than Sherlock Holmes gets, but the rest of us get to share the fun of watching all the professional crime fighters first scoff at Sherlock's almost immediate conclusions before they end up begging for his help. 

A Study in Scarlet is the origin story that brings Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes together for the first time. Watson is in need of a reasonably priced London apartment and Sherlock is looking for someone to share a flat with; fate brings them together in the person of a mutual friend trying to do Watson and Holmes a simultaneous favor. Watson, a war invalid, desperately needs something to shake him up before he falls into a permanent state of depression and aimlessness. Holmes, on the other hand, enjoys mesmerizing people with his powers of deduction, and a man like Watson, one who does not try to hide his appreciation of Holmes's skills, makes for a perfect match. Both men find a new friend just when they need one most. 

The mystery here is a solid one, but it's secondary. A Sherlock Holmes book is about Holmes and Watson, and the friendship that became so much fun to watch from afar. 

8 comments:

  1. I don't usually read mysteries because I so often got frustrated that I couldn't figure out the crime before it was revealed at the end- and I was always darn sure the author put enough clues in there, so it made me feel unintelligent. I did, as a teen, read the entire Sherlock Holmes collection my father had among his classics. And enjoyed them. I have not read any since, though I have my own volume of the complete stories- and I really ought to get around to doing that someday. I am sure I would appreciate them much more now as an older reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true, Jeane. I read them first when I was young but must have absorbed very little from that first reading other than who the main characters are and how fantastic a detective Holmes is. As an adult, I'm more appreciative of Doyle's techniques and construction of the novels and stories than before. And after having read so many mysteries now, I don't chase as many red herrings as I used to. lol

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy the odd Holmes short story from time to time. I've read loads from years ago, including this one of course, but the collections of weird stories I read very often have a Holmes story and it's so great to reread and appreciate once again ACD genius. Lucy Worsley did an excellent 2 (or maybe 3) part TV doc. on him recently but tragically there's no book to go with it. I'll have to look for another biography as he was a 'very' interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to no more about Doyle and his personal life, Cath. He seems to have been an unhappy man in some ways despite all of his success, so either a good biography or even a well done fictional character would interest me. And I love all of those adaptations of the Holmes character that are still being written today. Holmes will never die despite Doyle trying to kill off the character all those years ago.

      Delete
  3. I've only read this Holmes mystery once, but I did enjoy it. I'm reading one of those golden age mysteries about the Baker Street Irregulars right now, and their enthusiasm for all things Holmes is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed you were reading that. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about it once you're done.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this when I read it, but I was very surprised by it. It was the first thing I read by Doyle (although it is possible I read a short story or two before that). I haven't tried another novel yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for me the biggest surprise when I first looked at Doyle's work a long time ago was how readable he is. A lot of the stuff written in those years is a little difficult for me to enjoy without feeling like I'm really working at it. It's the style, usually, but I never had that problem with Doyle...even as a young reader.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.