Sunday, September 01, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (September 1, 2024)

 


Not quite sure how it happened, but I finished three books last week even while exploring the 2024 Booker Prize longlist - as much as my limited availability to those novels allowed me to do that. To say that the books I read last week have nothing much in common is quite an understatement - although at a stretch, I do see something rather dystopian in all three. The three were: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932), The Chalk Girl by Carol O'Connell (2011), and The Death of the West (2002) by Patrick J. Buchanan. (I will share my thoughts on those three in the days to come.)

I'm reading only one of the current Booker Prize nominees right now, Samantha Harvey's Orbital, but I've taken a close look at two others via the free samples that Amazon Kindle allows customers to download and have four other samples on tap waiting for me to take a look at them. Thankfully, the two Booker books I've sampled are really intriguing because the last two I've read were so underwhelming that I'm beginning to question the judgement of this year's nominating committee.

By the way, if you haven't made use of Kindle samples, you're missing a really good opportunity to "browse" before you buy or take a library copy home with you. The samples I've read almost always include at least the entire first chapter - sometimes two -of a book because Amazon usually offers something in the range of a book's first 20-25 pages for a free test-read.

 

I really wanted to like British author Samantha Harvey's Orbital, but it's become a real struggle for me even to pick this one back up lately. It's the story of sixteen days in a space station inhabited by two male Russians, a Japanese woman, a British woman, and male astronauts from the U.S. and Spain. Six people crammed into a tiny space from which they can't escape each other for the next three months. I have enjoyed learning how being in such tight quarters for so long impacts each of them, but the sections about the environment and borders become a bit tedious and overwritten at times. And there's a lot of that.

I mentioned last week how I discovered The Collection of Heng Souk buried deep inside my Kindle when I was working on all of my e-books a few days ago (a project still not finished). Well, it's turned out to be one of my favorite books of 2024, and I so dread what I think is going to be its ending, that I've been reading its last 75 pages at a really slow pace. The idea of a man going back to Viet Nam to learn if his father (a man he didn't know existed until days earlier) died during the war there is intriguing enough - but what happens once he gets there is heartbreaking in so many ways that this is a story I'll never forget.

I was expecting to receive a copy of Indrajit Garai's The Man without Shelter from Amazon on July 9. Well, Hurricane Beryl decided to arrive on July 8 and most of Harris County was without power for days and days after that. The book finally arrived a couple of weeks later, and I've just started reading it. It's about a man who is suddenly released in the middle of the night  after 20 years in prison (he was wrongly convicted) with no place to go. He's pretty much just booted out the front gates, so he's basically homeless and can't find a job or shelter because of his past and ends up living on the streets of Paris. The first chapter is dark and ominous as he wanders the streets trying to find a place that feels right enough for him to stop walking.


I've also been dabbling in Sanjay Gupta's Keep Sharp, a book about brain health, and have at least temporarily abandoned a memoir called Everything All at Once because after 40 pages, I find that I still haven't connected with Stephanie Catudal and what she experienced, deeply sad as it all was. The book is doing quite well in library and Amazon sales, but the style and construction of the memoir are not clicking for me right now - maybe one to return to later on. 

AND I woke up this morning to a library email telling me that four physical books and one e-book are ready for me to borrow. All of a sudden four of the Booker Prize books are there for me to pick up on Tuesday morning:

American Nominee

American Nominee

Dutch Nominee

British Nominee

I've read the Amazon Samples of The Safekeep and Wild Houses, and I'm hoping that I will have finally found a couple of Booker nominess other than James that will speak to me. These four short-fuse novels will probably claim most of my reading time for the next two weeks, along with the others I'm already reading, but as always I expect a few surprises to jump the queue somewhere along the way, too. Happy Reading to you all!

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got lots of books to keep you busy this week and next. Here's hoping they surprise you in a good way and end up being really good reads. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I'm almost halfway through Wild Houses and I'm enjoying it so far. I think of the four I will have not read, this would be number 2. I have high hopes, too, for the other three I picked up yesterday.

      Delete
  2. I have the Safekeep on hold but still weeks to go so I will be eager to read your review. And thanks for the reminder about Amazon samples. I know it's there but I haven't been using it as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get to Safekeep sometime next week, but it looks pretty good from what I've already read of it. Those samples really did help me get a little bit of a jumpstart on so many of the books arriving at the same time, so I really appreciate them for that if nothing else.

      Delete
  3. Ah, after watching a YT video I put Orbital on my list of books 'to look into'. I'll think some more on that plan. LOL! Lots of lovely stuff to get your teeth into there, Sam. Happy September, although I doubt the change of month has had much of an effect on temps. in Texas as yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out that I really regret my most reading time to Orbital, Cath. Thankfully, it is probably the shortest of all the Booker nominees this year, so I at least minimized time lost. The temps here have been down 6-8 degrees below normal for a couple of weeks now because of light rain and lots of cloud cover. Even that drop has been a nice break from the kind of weather that August usually brings this part of the state. It's 85 degrees here at the moment (near noon), nothing like the temps you are probably experiencing these days. lol

      Delete
  4. Wow, your library came through this week! I've got The Safekeep on hold and recently added Headshot to my holds, too. Orbital doesn't sound like a book for me though. I appreciate being able to download samples from amazon and should make use of that feature more frequently than I do. Glad you finally got your Beryl-delayed book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to always work that way with libraries, doesn't it? No matter how many or how few books I have on hold, they always seem to arrive in bulk, causing me new problems. I have high hopes for both Headshot and The Safekeep and plan to get to them next week with any luck. The ending to Orbital further dropped my opinion of the novel, and that was not easy to do.

      Delete
  5. Oh no the nominees all arrived at once from the library -- that's tough. I hope you rate the Booker reads in order of your preference after you read them. That was helpful last time. (I liked Paul Lynch's book and the House of Doors, and James) I dont think I'll pick up Orbital b/c others have said they didn't like it either, yikes. But the Heng Souk novel sounds interesting ... I looked up SR Wilsher on Amazon ... and he has an interesting life story and seems to write & publish what he wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the good news about so many of them coming at once is that, if I can get through them in the allotted two weeks, I will soon have read seven of the thirteen nominees. I will begin ranking them with my review of Wild Houses (still about 150 pages to go in that one) because that will give me four done - and I have strong opinions of three of them already.

      The Collection of Heng Souk really is good. I saw that the author says he's never been published in hard cover, but if this one is representative of his work, I can't imagine why that is. I really found myself caught up in this one.

      Delete
  6. I have ordered a copy of Orbital and it is coming today so I hope I like it better than you have so far. I look forward to hearing about the other Booker longlist books that you will be reading soon.

    I keep thinking I will try reading more books at one time like you do, but usually when I do that I start a new fiction book and don't want to read anything else at the same time. I will persevere though, because I would like to have at least one short story book and one nonfiction book actively going while I am reading a fiction book.

    I started reading Silent Voices by Ann Cleeves last night, the fourth book in the series. It is very good so far. It has been six years since I read the third book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seem some glowing Orbital reviews, along with some really terrible ones, so I would not be at all surprised if you absolutely love it. And I hope that you do.

      For me, the secret to reading multiple books is to be sure that no two of them are similar enough in style or genre that I begin to confuse them in my mind. I hate when that happens because I then spend way too much time re-reading sections of both books. It helps, too, that I'm taking more notes than ever before as I read. That helps me be able to review a book days after I've read it if I do the note-taking properly.

      I hope you enjoy Silent Voices. I remember liking that one, but I'm really hazy on the details. I still have not read series books 5, 7,8, and 9. I do have copies, either e-books or hardbacks, around for each, so that will get done eventually. lol

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.