Sunday, September 08, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (September 8, 2024)

 

Most of my reading time last week was dedicated to 2024 Booker Prize nominees. I decided to go that route because the Booker Prize shortlist is going to be announced this Monday, September 16, and I'm hoping, with some luck, to have read two or three of the finalists by then. So I finished up Orbital by Samantha Harvey and Wild Houses by Colin Barrett to go along with the two others from this year's list I've already read (James and This Strange Eventful History). I'm also well into The Safekeep, by Dutch author Yael Van Der Wouden, so it looks like I'll have read at least five of the thirteen nominees by the 16th. 

But that doesn't mean I'm not dipping in and out of others when the mood for a change of pace strikes, so I've also been spending a little time with these guys:

Pastures of the Empty Page is a compilation of the reflections of a group of writers who were impacted by the friendship and influence of author Larry McMurtry. The book's subtitle is "Fellow Writers on the Life and Legacy of Larry McMurtry," and that seems to be an accurate description of what to expect inside. All of the pieces I've read so far are by writers who knew McMurtry well or had at least met him at some point early on in their lives. I don't think McMurtry had any idea just how important he was, or would turn out to be, to so many of his fellow writers.

Chinese author Cixin Liu's To Hold Up the Sky is a collection of science fiction short stories set in China. There are only ten stories in this 336-page collection, so on average they are a little longer than the stories in most collections. I'm particularly taken with the first story in the book, "The Village Teacher," a story about an altruistic teacher in a remote mountain village who wants nothing more than to better the lives of his isolated and impoverished young students. Little does he know just how huge an impact he is about to have on the world.

I know for sure that this week I'll be at least beginning the other two Booker Prize nominees that I have on hand, Rita Bullwinkel's Headshot and Tommy Orange's Wandering Stars. Headshot is about a women's boxing tournament being held in Reno, Nevada. Each distinct section of the novel covers a different pair of fighters trying to make their way to the championship matchup. Wandering Stars is both a prequel and a sequel to Orange's There There from a couple of years ago. It is a story of the Native American experience that uses all the characters from There There, a novel I read just a few months ago, so maybe I'll have a little bit of a jump on this one. 



By the end of the week, I'll be ready to start with formal reviews and rankings of the Booker Prize books I will have experienced for myself. With any luck, I'll have read, or near-read, seven of the thirteen nominated novels by this time next week...if I didn't just jinx myself by saying that, that is.

I also have a promised review coming up in the next few weeks for a book I haven't started yet, so Deadly Animals (from Marie Tierney) might become a change-of-pace novel for me at some point this week. 

I'm really looking forward to learning what the Booker Prize shortlist looks like this year. It may be a few weeks before I receive another of the listed books from my library, so I'm hoping that I don't find myself on September 17 still not having read any of the six soon-to-be-announced finalists. 

Good Reading to all...

12 comments:

  1. Good luck getting those Booker Prize nominated books read this week! (And I hope you actually end up liking some of them.) ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly getting off to a great start, but still hopeful to make a real dent in them. I've been distracted by a couple of streaming apps for foreign TV and movies: MHz app and France Channel. I think I need to focus. lol

      Delete
  2. I echo Lark. Now, I may join you and read some myself. Happy reading.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. I've found them to be either hit or miss so far, but I'm really enjoying The Safekeep so far. Lots of surprises.

      Delete
  3. You are, by far, the most eclectic reader I know! The range of your books amazes me, as of course does the amount of books you read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure that's a good thing, Nan. Kind of the Jack of all Trades method as opposed to mastering anything. But it sure keeps me reading.

      Delete
  4. I was trying to think of the title of the famous sci-fi novel Cixin Liu wrote that of course I haven't read. LOL! It's the Three-Body Problem. Serious sci-fi readers think very highly of it but for some reason I feel reluctant to try it. Have you read it, Sam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, Cath. I haven't read that one yet, but I do see that Netflix has made it into a short series dramatization. I might take a look. Liu is writes science fiction with a very heavy emphasis on the science bits. I still find him a little intimidating at times - even in short stories.

      Delete
  5. I only have time and energy to comment on one post right now so I picked this one since it is a favorite post that I like to keep up with.

    I think it is fun that you are back to reading Booker Prize lists again. I have never been so knowledgeable about Booker Prize books before.

    My news is that my husband and I have come down with Covid. We both tested positive with home tests, and we both feel pretty bad, but not horrible. Glen got it first so he is closer to getting well, we hope. I am still reading but not much. Today I was really a slug. And I don't enjoy food either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, Tracy, I'm really sorry to hear that both you and Glen are down with Covid right now. I hope you guys feel better soon and that this doesn't turn into a bad week or so for you.

      I'm starting to enjoy the Booker list this year both more than I expected to because of my slow start, and more than last year, really. That surprises me. Headshot is turning out to be another really interesting book in that it allows the reader to get into the heads of eight young female boxers to see who they really are and why they were drawn into the sport to begin with. I really like its construction, too.

      Get some rest and make a quick recovery...good luck.

      Delete
  6. Okay so Headshot is good? Have you started Wandering Stars? I didn't like the ending of There There and so I haven't thought I'd want to pick up Wandering Stars ... hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Headshot quite a lot even though I'm giving it only 3.5 stars in my Booker ranking. The ratings there are all relative to the competition, so that skews the actual numbers a bit. I will be starting Wandering Stars today even though I don't feel all that enthusiastic about the prospect. There There hasn't aged well in my mind, and I'm afraid it's going to influence my experience with this prequel/sequel thing Tommy Orange has going on here.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.