Thursday, February 08, 2024

Ruined by Reading - Lynne Sharon Schwartz

 


Ruined by Reading begins with an interesting hook, one that avid readers will find impossible to resist because it argues so directly against everything we believe about books and the benefits of reading them.  It seems that Lynne Sharon Schwartz was reading a New York Times  article one day when a quote attributed to a Chinese Buddhist scholar she identifies only as "Mr. Cha" said something outrageous (my characterization of his statement) that got her to thinking. Mr. Cha said this:

"To read more is a handicap. It is better to keep your own mind free and to not let the thinking of others interfere with your own free thinking."

This led Schwartz to "brood" on her own reading habits:

"What is it all about? What am I doing it for? And the classic addict's question, What is it doing for me? Mr. Cha's serenity and independence of mind are enviable. I would like to be equally independent, but I'm not sure my mind could be free without reading, or that the action books have on it is properly termed 'interference.'"

That brooding resulted in Schwartz's Ruined by Reading, a book I sometimes found to go a little off-track, but one I could not put down for long. 

Ruined by Reading is not a long memoir, coming in at only 119 numbered pages, so rather than going on for too long about it, I want instead to display the flavor of the book and what to expect from it by sharing a few of my favorite quotes from what Schwartz has to say:

"It started - my reading that is - innocently enough, and then it infiltrated. It didn't replace living; it infused it, till the two became inextricable, like molecules of hydrogen and oxygen in a bead of water."

...

"The pressure to read the living is moral as well as social. We must know our own times, understand what is happening around us. But I know my own times. I am in them. It is the times of the dead I do not know. The dead are exciting precisely because they are not us. They are what we will never know except through their books...As writers, transmitters, the dead can be more alive than some of the living."

...

"...reading at random - letting desire lead - feels like the most faithful kind...Or perhaps randomness is not so random after all. Perhaps at every stage what we read is what we are, or what we are becoming, or desire."

...

"Reading gives a context for experience, a myriad of contexts. Not that we will know any better what to do when the time comes, but we will not be taken unawares or in a void."

And finally, one that just might be my favorite:

"Speed-reading is not actually reading at all but eye exercises."

I hope this gives a feel for what Lynne Sharon Schwartz has to say in rebuttal to the illustrious Mr. Cha. I think she did us proud. 

Lynne Sharon Schwartz 

10 comments:

  1. I love those quotes! She really gets to the heart of what reading means to those of us who love books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does. I still shake my head over what Mr. Cha said about reading. lol

      Delete
  2. What a fascinating perspective on something that I have always accepted as A Good Thing, ie. 'reading'. The idea that it might not be had never even entered my consciousness. Wow. And I totlally agree about speed reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That statement is so farfetched that it's no wonder it never crossed your mind, Cath. I found it hard to believe that anyone could take a statement like that one seriously, but apparently someone at the New York Times did.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam, thanks for letting us know about this book and I love the quotes you chose. Lynne Sharon Schwartz's passage where she debates the benefits of reading the new writers vs the writers from long ago is something I never thought much about. And it sounds like in her book she poses alot of insightful questions and observations about why we read that we probably have never thought about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does throw out quite a few issues in the book, Kathy, and I found myself agree with her comments about the issues way more times than not. I've read a couple of other books of hers and find her to be one of those writers whose prose doesn't always come easy to me. Her books, as I recall, are mostly pretty thin ones, but I still manage to struggle with her prose style. But she's definitely worth a little extra effort on my part.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting, and I would like to read it someday. Especially since it is such a nice length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that you'd enjoy it, Tracy. Her prose does get a little "dense" to my eye at times, but I can't figure out why that is because I really do like what she has to say.

      Delete
  5. That last quote is pretty good about speed-reading. Ha. She has some reading wisdom about her. I don't really like speed-reading either. I enjoy the slow boat way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Definitely the tortoise and never the rabbit. Less risk of burnout that way, I suspect.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.