Monday, February 05, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (February 5, 2024)

 


I'm enjoying the books I've been reading (taken as a whole) more than I have in a long time, and I'm hoping that's at least a little bit attributable to the reading plan I began the year with. So far, so good. I finished another three books this week and enjoyed each of them: The King of Late Night, Resurrection Walk, and Ruined by Reading. Reviews of the latter two books will be posted sometime this week if things go as planned. 

I got back into a few others, too, that had fallen by the wayside because of other due dates I wanted to honor (The Blues Brothers, My Side of the River, Writing to Learn, and Larry McMurtry: A Life) and was pleasantly surprised at how seamless picking them up again felt. But I still haven't been able to return to That Affair Next Door or What to Read and Why. Maybe this week.

I did finally begin Thomas H. Cook's The Chatham School Affair and managed to get myself sucked up by Michiko Kakutani's Ex-Libris: 100 Books Read and Reread.

This is the third Thomas H. Cook novel I've read recently, and I've learned that Cook is a master at maintaining a constant feeling of dread in his novels. It seems as if every chapter of The Chatham School Affair includes at least one or two sometimes-not-so-subtle hints or clues about terrible things that have already happened but not yet been disclosed, or terrible things that are going to happen soon. At this point, I still can't figure out who the victims are, exactly what happened to them, who the actual bad guys are, or whether the narrator is one of the good guys or one of the bad guys. And, of course, I can't quit turning pages to find out all of these things.

Because Michiko Kakutani chose to title her book Ex-Libris, I'm assuming that the 100 books she talks about are ones from her personal library - or at least were at one time. It's actually more than 100 books because Kakutani sometimes dedicates a section to several books from the same author; Saul Bellow, Bruce Chatwin, and Joan Didion, for example. I've gone through the first twenty or so sections now, and was inspired enough by Kakutani's thoughts that I went out and bought myself a copy of Albert Camus's The Plague yesterday afternoon. So there's that, even though Kakutani has kept me irritated much of the time because of something I'll get into later.

I'll almost certainly be starting Ken Bruen's Galway Confidential this week because I want to make sure my review is posted before the novel is published later this month. I'm a big fan of Bruen's Jack Taylor series, but it sounds like I missed the book right before Galway Confidential because Jack is coming out of a long coma as this one begins (and if I had read the previous book, I'd know why that is). Can you imagine waking up, as Jack does, with no idea that Covid-19 ever happened? Then Jack finds out that two nuns have been bludgeoned by a hammer-wielding man - and that he is the best hope the nuns have to keep more of them from suffering the same fate.

Among the most likely books to be added this week are:





I'm thrilled to learn that Study for Obedience is ready for me to pick up at my library because it's one of the three remaining 2023 Booker Prize nominees that I've still not gotten my hands on. I have not read any of Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies' Detective Agency books, but I fell in love with the characters last month via the one-season HBO series from a few years ago, and I figured it was time for me to test-drive the actual books now. The Only Good Indians is a novel I found on a list somewhere of very good novels written by Native Americans, although it looks a little weird at first glance. And, finally, Tom Clavin is one of my favorite writers when it comes to Old West nonfiction, so I'm hoping to get to The Last Outlaws soon.

Here's wishing a great reading week to each and all!

12 comments:

  1. I’m glad you are enjoying your current reads

    Wishing you a happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That is definitely not always the way it is around here, so I'm thrilled when there's not a real clunker wasting my time to the point that I just give up.

      Delete
  2. Look forward to hearing what you think of the first No. 1 Ladies' Detective book. They charmed me for about a dozen books or so but I just stopped wanting to read them for some strange reason. Oh, well. What I cannot understand is why they only made one season of the TV series, I thought it was a delight.

    The 100 Books book has me intrigued and again, I look forward to hearing what you think as I've seen that around a bit.

    Enjoy your reading week. I'm just coming to the end of Maiden Voyages, about the women who travelled on the passenger liners between the wars, staff and well-heeled passengers. Fascinating stuff and I've just reserved a book about Martha Gellhorn because of it. Plus, need to find a decent book about the Titanic tragedy, and Edward the VIII and Mrs. Simpson. Don't you love it when one book leads you in all kinds of directions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read, Cath, it just got so expensive to shoot the episodes in Africa that they decided to pull the plug despite how popular that one season proved to be. I loved everything about it, but maybe the live music as much as anything...and the actors were really good.

      The 100-book book is interesting, but early on, the author let her personal politics be too much of a factor. It got boring and oh so predictable after a while. But the last ten or so of her suggestions have been politics-free, so maybe she got that out of her system early on.

      Love it, Cath...that's the way I like to read most, where one book leads to another. BTW, back in the eighties I stayed for a week in a little village-hotel about 50 miles from Gatwick Airport that had recently been purchased by new owners. Amidst the paperwork the new owners inherited was an unpaid invoice made out to Edward (he never paid it) for time he spent in the hotel with Simpson. The owner showed me that and all of the "shadow numbers and letters" on various doors in the hotel from when it housed long-term Canadian soldiers. It was all fascinating to me.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam, The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency I have to get around to reading at some point. And the setting sounds wonderful too.

    Never read The Chatham House. As I understand it's Cooke's most famous book. I know what you mean by a sense of dread in his books. He's a great writer but I am wondering if a writer can overwork the ominous in his novels, particularly if it starts appearing in every book? And yet writers have themes that they come back to again and again and so for a writer to go against their style and what interests them probably not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder the same thing, Kath, because this is the third straight Cook novel (started to type "book" but that sounded odd) that's followed that pattern. And this one does it much more than the other two I read. But this is the one that won a prize for him, so you never know.

      If you can find the TV series I mentioned, you can get a feel for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency before reading one of the books. Of course, you may end up watching the whole series like I did, so be warned.

      Delete
  4. 2024 has been a really good year for you reading-wise. I keep trying to figure out which of the many books on my TBR list I want to read next while still fitting in new books. I've checked out a few duds, but most have been good. Hopefully that continues for both of us this year. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're off to a great start for 2024. Good luck on that trend. I abandoned three books in the first few days of January, and haven't even considered abandoning one since, so I'm hoping my luck holds out for a while. It's sure more fun this way, isn't it.

      Delete
  5. I thought I had a copy of Michiko Kakutani's Ex-Libris but if so, don't know where it is. Hopefully I will run into it sometime. Meanwhile I am in the middle of two other books about books so it can wait a while.

    I read the first book in Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies' Detective Agency a good while back (when they were newish?) and did not care for it then, but that was long ago and I might like them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is no shortage of books about books anymore. I keep turning them up everywhere I look, seems like.

      I hope to try the first McCall Smith book soon. All I really know right now is that the characters and setting (at least as portrayed on television) turned out to be great fun. I hope the books live up to my expectation now, and I'll really be disappointed if they don't.

      Delete
  6. Woo woo Study for Obedience -- now that's a nut to solve. It's short. You'll either like it, or throw it against the wall. Ha. I'm curious about the Kakutani book but I think it would make my TBR list blow up big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some strange comments about Study for Obedience, so I'm really curious about the book now. Pretty much what you said, some people really like it; others think it's confusing garbage. Well, at least it's short...

      I've only gone through 36 sections of Kakutani's Ex-Libris, and I've added 16 books to my TBR list. At this rate, I'll end up adding around 40 to the list, looks like. It's hopeless.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.