Friday, January 05, 2024

The Last Talk with Lola Faye - Thomas H. Cook


Harvard educated historian Lucas Page has come to St. Louis to promote his latest book in front of a small group of "museum regulars," none of whom, as it turns out, have any interest in actually taking a copy of the book home with them. Just when he's ready to call it a night, Lucas is approached at his table by what he at first assumes is a homeless woman. But then he realizes that he is looking into the eyes of Lola Faye Gilroy, the very woman he still blames for his father's murder two decades earlier. 

"She'd come to make her case before me, clarify the issue  Woody Gilroy had raised in his suicide note, rid herself of the guilt he'd laid at her feet, revisit all that in a talk with me, then enter her plea at the end of it: not guilty."

Or had she?

 Feeling a little as if he'd been tricked into it, Lucas finds himself agreeing to have a drink with Lola Faye so that they can have a talk about their lives in the aftermath of what happened all those years ago. Lucas, under the impression that Lola Faye is still the uneducated and naive small-town Alabama girl she was when his father hired her to clerk in the family variety store, figures that their conversation will be a short one. Just a quick drink, a little polite conversation, and Lola Faye will be out of his life again - exactly where she belongs.

But then Lola Faye starts asking questions, good ones. And those questions cause Lucas to rethink everything he was so certain that he knew about the night his father was shot to death in his own kitchen by someone lurking outside in the dark. Long before Lucas realizes it, Lola Faye has taken over the conversation and she's guiding it exactly where she wants it to end up. 

"The last best hope of life is that at some point during living it, all that you did wrong will suddenly teach you to do right."

The Last Talk with Lola Faye is an intense novel, one in which the pressure is turned up so gradually that the reader ends up being lulled into the same false sense of complacency that Lucas experiences. As it became clearer and clearer that Lucas is correct in feeling threatened by where Lola Faye is leading the conversation, I couldn't turn pages fast enough. Even so, the book's ending is a completely satisfying one that I never saw coming. And that's a good thing.

This is my first experience with a Thomas H. Cook novel, and that strikes me as remarkable considering how much crime fiction I've read over the last several decades and that Cook has written something like three dozen novels. But that's kind of nice, really, because now I have Cook's huge back catalog to explore, including Red Leaves, the one I started a couple of days ago.

Thomas H. Cook jacket photo

(Special thanks to Kathy and her Reading Matters blog where she turned me on to Thomas H. Cook novels via her review of The Last Talk with Lola Faye.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, I am so glad you liked this book and agree, Thomas Cook turns up the pressure gradually and I also never saw the ending coming. I knew Lucas was haunted by events from his childhood in Glenville but I never saw that ending coming either and that passage at the end of the novel: "The last best hope of life is that at some point during living it, all that you did wrong will suddenly teach you to do right." was so powerful. I liked the way the story ended it was redemptive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, Kathy. That's probably why we didn't see it coming at all. I had the feeling that Lola Faye was drawing Lucas into a trap of some kind that would ruin what little bit of life he had salvaged from his childhood. I guess, though, in a way she did trap him into a new life, even if he jumped into the trap voluntarily and it was good for him. Great book. Thanks so much for turning me on to Thomas H. Cook.

      Delete
  2. I have his book Red Leaves on my TBR list already, but I've read so many positive reviews of this book now it makes me think I need to put this one on my list, too. So many books, so little time! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least to this point in Red Leaves, I think that Lola Faye is the best of the two books. Much more suspenseful, the kind of book that sneaks up on you until you realize you are turning pages faster and faster.

      Delete
  3. That's how I felt when my sister finally persuaded me to read Michael Connelly! I haven't read Cook either but this sounds intriguing. I know I saw somewhere (will look) that he thinks writing a series is boring (presumably because no need to create a lot of new characters) and he has a point but that can help readers build an appreciation of and loyalty to an author. https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/entertainment/books/2009/07/19/the-dark-world-thomas-cook/51922594007/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your sister did you a huge favor with Connelly. I love his books. I kind of understand what Cook is saying, but I more agree with you that it's the best way to build up longterm reader loyalty. I never get bored with a good series, especially when I catch up on them, because the books are usually a year apart and they seem fresh to me again - but with the built in advantage that I already know and understand who the recurring characters are.

      Delete
  4. I love Connelly's books but I used to get a bit exasperated at how popular Bosch was with women when he was taciturn, grumpy, and not very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somebody like Bosch gives all men everywhere some hope, I suppose. LOL But what a memorable character he is despite his flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my shelves and I really should get to it. I have had it forever. And I am always looking for an Alabama author that I like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think about this one, Tracy. I didn't like the second one of his I read, Red Leaves, nearly as much, but I have another one on hand that I hope to start within a few days. I do think you'll like this one a lot.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.