Monday, January 08, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (January 8, 2024)

 I've eased into my reading plan for 2024 by finishing up two review copies I didn't finish reading last week (Family Family and The Night of the Storm) along with another review copy (My Favorite Scar) that I will be thinking about for a long time. I can't wait to tell you all about that last one later this week.

In the meantime, I've started several new books while keeping in mind some of my set reading goals for the year. The result is that I'm rotating between eight books at the moment as the mood strikes me that it's time to switch books as one or another of them start to feel a little stale or tedious. Two of the "new books" (The Diabolical and The Blues Brothers) are actually review copy carry-ins from last year that are to be published in February and March, respectively. And as usual, my additions to what I'm reading don't exactly match last week's expected adds:

I'm a fan of David Putnam's Bruno Johnson series but have really been bad about reading them out of order, and that's not the best way to read this particular series. Anyway, The Diabolical is the latest, and finds Bruno, his wife Marie, and the fourteen children in their care hiding out in Costa Rica because there are criminal warrants out on both Bruno and Marie in the U.S. The kids, if you're wondering, with the exception of one of them, are rescues from terrible Los Angeles home environments. No paperwork required...

As you can see from the cover, All the Little Bird-Hearts is part of the 2023 Booker Prize longlist. It is one of the four remaining books I want to read from last year's list, and it is fascinating for a couple of reasons: it's main character and narrator is an autistic woman trying to cope with the new friend she has suddenly acquired from next door; and the author Viktoria Lloyd-Barlow is herself autistic. I'm only fifty pages in, but I already find myself enjoying the prose and the plot so much that I'm finding it hard to put this one down.

I've not read a lot of John Grisham recently, I suppose because I started finding his books to be a little repetitive in nature, but since The Boys from Biloxi is one of the books loaned to me by my brother last summer, I decided to see why he liked it so much. Grisham strikes me as kind of an old-school storyteller of multi-generational crime sagas - a style that builds to the real action very slowly over many pages (454 in this case) and that's what's happening here. So far, so good, and it reminds me that this style can be a comfort read.

I found a ratty copy of Francine Prose's 2018 What to Read and Why at a used-book bookstore a couple of years ago and until recently have done little more than thumb through it. But having read the novel about Mary Shelley and Frankenstein a few days ago, I was interested in learning more and it's all covered in chapter 2, so I started reading more carefully. And I still am. The book selections are not too surprising, but Prose has a lot to say about them and she says it all very concisely and clearly. This will take a while.

It's shameful to admit that I had never heard the name Walter Tevis before stumbling upon his wonderful The Queen's Gambit last year, but it's true. I was so fascinated by that novel and the Netflix series it resulted in that Tevis became someone I wanted to know more about. Turns out he was even bigger in his day than I imagined, and I've finally started reading The Hustler, a novel about pool hustlers that became a major motion picture during Hollywood's golden years.

I'm about to finish up Thomas H. Cook's Red Leaves and I'm chipping away at Writing to Learn, so I may have time to begin one or two from this bunch later in the week:





As I said up above, I'm easing in to the new plan, especially by searching for back catalogue books that I either entirely missed back in the day or just never got around to reading. Have a great reading week, guys, and don't forget to tell us all about it!

10 comments:

  1. All the Little Bird Hearts sounds really good. Especially considering the author herself is autistic. I've been trying to catch up on a few mystery series this month, and escaping into a few romantic comedies, too. I find it hard to do serious reading when I'm running tired and it's so cold outside. But I did just finish a good nonfiction book. Happy reading all of these, Sam! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main criticism of the book I've read is that "nothing happens" in the book. But there's a lot going on in the main character's head, so much that at times she's bouncing all over the place. A lot of the "action" occurs as she thinks about her past after being triggered by something in the present. The two main characters don't seem to have anything at all in common, but it looks like they are growing dependent on each other's company now.

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of What to Read and Why, bookish books always attract me. I read The Chatham School Affair some years ago and really enjoyed it. Keep meaning to read more by Cook so I look forward to a few recs from you, Sam. I love that you're reading eight books! I regularly have three or four on the go but eight is brilliant. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books like What to Read and Why are always kind of a slow go for me because I end up stopping for a while between the books discussed so that the new info can sink in. That usually means a chapter a day at most, usually less...and this is a pretty long one.

      I think that the Chatham School Affair is considered one of Cook's best novels, so I'm looking forward to it. That will be my third now in just a couple of weeks, and it will decide if I continue catching up on him or tabling him for a bit.

      The eight book threshold seems to be working for me right now. It assures that I finish something every three days or so, allowing me to space out the writing bit of blogging at a set pace rather than suddenly having several to write at once. At least so far...

      Delete
  3. I went on a The Cat Who... series years and years ago, and though I kept reading, I never thought they were that great. But I read them!
    I am quite fond of Grisham, and should read more. Just recently watched The Firm on Prime, and it really held up. What a good, good movie. Not sure if I read the book. I'd like to hear more of the titles you've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Braun has very loyal fans, Nan. I did an obituary post on her a few years ago that still gets comments every so often. That's what has inspired me to finally take a look at her books.

      I've read ten Grisham books to this point, but before the one I'm reading right now I hadn't read one since 2018. Mostly the early titles starting when The Firm first hit movie theaters and we all fell so in love with that movie. I just went off of legal thrillers about that time and have been slow to read any of them by any author since then. I have to say that The Boys from Biloxi, at the midway point, seems very formulaic to me. I'm hoping for a flashy finish of some sort.

      Delete
  4. Can I persuade you to try Jane Casey's mysteries? Not necessarily this month but maybe this year. The first book is called The Burning. I think you would like her detective, Maeve Kerrigan, one of few women in her London division, who refuses to give up on finding justice although that often puts her in danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm always open to trying new authors and genres, so I'll start looking for The Burning. Maeve Kerrigan sounds like an interesting character.

      Delete
  5. I'm a bit curious to hear what you think of the Grisham novel. I have not read him in a long time but I'm still a bit curious to see if you think it's any good. Enjoy your reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking this morning that it is running out of time if it's going to surprise me with a clever twist on what is pretty much a trope in legal thrillers of this length. I just feel, so far at least, as if I've already read this story three or four times. I'm still hoping, though, and after reading 240 pages of it, I doubt I'll be abandoning it.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.