Monday, January 15, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (January 15, 2024)

 


I finished three books last week ( Red Leaves by Thomas H. Cook, The Diabolical by David Putnam, and All the Little Bird-Hearts by Viktoria Lloyd-Barlow), but I still managed to increase my in-progress reads from eight books to nine books by the end of the week. Momentum-wise, I've really been finding it difficult to put down Walter Tevis's The Hustler the last couple of days. Tevis creates such believable and complete characters that I think about them even when not reading.

In addition to the other books I'm carrying in from last week (Blues Brothers, The Boys from Biloxi, Writing to Learn, and What to Read and Why), I've begun these four:

Holmes on the Range is Steve Hockensmith's introductory novel in his series about a pair of cowboying brothers out West, one of whom (he's called "Old Red") is so infatuated by the Sherlock Holmes stories that he begins to model his entire life after the fictional detective - much to the exasperation of "Big Red," his younger brother. The brothers are working on an isolated cattle ranch when Old Red becomes convinced that the ranch manager's sudden death was not the accident it appears to be to everyone but him.

I'm a big fan of Dan Fesperman's thrillers ever since reading The Prisoner of Guantanamo back in 2007. Fesperman's novels usually reflect world politics of the day, and many of them have been about the impact of Islamic-influenced terrorism. The Cover Wife, a 2021 novel, follows a similar theme, but it is set in late 1999 before intelligence agencies around the world realized just how horrendous this kind of terrorism would soon prove to be. The "cover wife" in question is an American agent chosen to pretend that she is the wife of an author who has just published a book that fundamentalist Muslims consider very insulting to the religion. 

I love the idea that 84-year-old Lillian Boxfish has decided to take a NYC walk on New Year's Eve, a walk during which she interacts with people she meets on the street and wherever she stops for a moment. During the walk, Lillian looks back on her life and all the changes she's seen in the city since she first arrived decades earlier. I haven't been able to jumpstart this one yet because I'm not much enjoying the flashbacks, and keep wishing Lillian would return to the present. It's like two separate books, one I really like, and one that kind of bores me.

I've only read the first chapter of A Murder Is Announced so far, but at least I can finally say that I've read some Agatha Christie. I've found Christie to be surprisingly easy to read so far, and I'm intrigued by the set-up of this 1950 novel in which someone places an ad in the "Personals" of a local newspaper announcing a murder-to-be that will occur at a specific place and time. Everyone who sees the ad assumes that it's an invitation to one of the "murder games" that are so popular at the moment. Expect a crowd of suspects. 

Also most likely to be added later this week are one or two of these:





And that's not even to speak of the list of mystery writers I posted a few days ago and asked for your input on. I got some really great responses and will actively begin looking for some of the titles and authors most praised in the comments sometime in the next few days. 

Have a great week, everyone!

15 comments:

  1. I read Holmes on the Range a few years ago and found it quirky and enjoyable, so I hope you like it too, Sam. I immediately thought Lilian Boxfish Takes a Walk sounded like my kind of thing so I hope it improves as I like to hear about good books set in NY city. Yes, Christie's books are very accessible, I find, and I always enjoy them. For my money though, the best book she ever wrote is her autobiography. Have a good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath. It's finally getting cold here, with well-below freezing temperatures for the next three days, so I've been curled up with the Holmes on the Range book all morning. I find it to be quite clever and humorous, and I'm enjoying the author's light take on the genre.

      I do think that Lilian Boxfish is likely to grow on me because it came to me with such a glowing review that I can't imagine otherwise. Early days yet, as I'm only on page 50.

      I'm surprised a bit about Christie's style. It's a shame that the movie versions of anything of hers I've ever seen (with one exception) have been complete turn-offs to me. The one exception has been the recent remake of one based on her ABC Murders novel that I watched last year. That one was well done and I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. I know I've read A Murder is Announced, but I read it so many years ago I don't remember much about it. I should read it again. And Holmes on the Range is high on my TBR list. It just sounds fun...that combination of mystery and western is right up my alley. Fingers crossed it turns out to be a good read. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Holmes on the Range novel is a fun read already...at about the 40% mark...and I can tell that I'll be reading the next one, too. It helps that they are all available on Kindle Unlimited, at least for now. The brothers are kind of a hoot. The younger one is the largest, the most outgoing, and a bit of a flirt. The older one is more curious and ambitious even though he has to depend on his younger brother to read the Holmes stories to him because he never himself learned to read. They combine for a great team of cowboy/investigators.

      Delete
  3. The number of books you are able read at once continues to amaze me! I reread Lillian Boxfish last month with the MMD book club and the number one complaint readers had there was the use of flashbacks. I loved it once I got into it, but much preferred present events. Hope you enjoy all of this week's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jot down a lot of instant notes as I read, JoAnn, and that makes it more likely that I'll concentrate enough to remember what I've read as I switch from book to book. I've been using a Kindle Scribe for all my note-taking and e-book reading since November, and that thing has entirely changed the way I read in only two months.

      I hate to hear that others were relatively unhappy with the flashbacks, too, because I was hoping it was just me and that I'd get past that. I think my main complaint about them as that they are so long; that makes me all the more frustrated and anxious to get back to the present. And then sometimes the segments set in the present are shorter than the flashbacks...

      Delete
    2. You're the first person to talk about the Kindle Scribe... I can see how that's the perfect device for the way you read!

      I found I had less patience for the flashbacks on my reread since I was more interested in her walk, too. Interesting the author chose that method to reveal Lillian's story, but it does to understand where she's coming from.

      Delete
    3. JoAnn, I absolutely love the Scribe. I realize that its size might not appeal to lots of people, but that's my favorite thing about it, I think. It is literally the size of a hardback, even a tad wider, so each display is pretty much a complete page of reading. The battery life is spectacular, and the note-taking software is really, really good. And all my notes are automatically forwarded to my phone's Kindle App, which I find useful at times, especially when browsing a bookstore. I highly recommend that everyone at least consider the Scribe as their next/replacement Kindle even though it is considerably less portable than the other models.

      Delete
  4. I have my fingers crossed that you'll enjoy Holmes on the Range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already like it well enough that I'll be downloading the second book in the series after I done with it. I'm curious to see how they are in a less isolated setting.

      Delete
  5. I think I tried Lillian the Boxfish once but then I set it down. I think it was the audio though. My head just wasn't there. Let me know if I should try it again though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it again yesterday and decided to go ahead and officially DNF it, I'm afraid. I just couldn't get into her backstory enough for it not to be a chore to get through the flashbacks while anticipating the actual walk narrative. I'm disappointed.

      Delete
  6. I have read Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis and I am sure I would enjoy other books by him. Glad to hear that you are liking The Hustler.

    I like Dan Fesperman's books also and I have several more on my shelves to read. I liked The Cover Wife a lot, and the book preceding that one (with some of the same characters), Safe Houses, even more. I have Winter Work but haven't read it yet.

    Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk sounds good.

    A Murder is Announced is one of my favorite books by Christie and maybe my favorite in the Miss Marple series. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

    I will have to look into the Kindle Scribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely fell in love with Queen's Gambit and was kind of shocked to see what all else Tevis had written. My review of The Hustler will be posted in the morning, and I can't wait to move on to another of his novels.

      I didn't realize that Safe Houses shared characters with The Cover Wife. Now I know which Fesperman book to look for next, thanks.

      I am enjoying the Christie book, but still dipping into it only sporadically because I'm nearing the climax of a couple of other novels that keep sucking me back in.

      Sorry to say that I decided to abandon the Boxfish novel. I couldn't stir up an interest in the flashback segments enough to keep reading. If you read that one, I'd love to hear what you think of it.

      I can't praise the Scribe enough, Tracy. If you don't mind that it's a lot less portable than the the smaller Kindles, this is just about the perfect e-book reader to be found. I look forward to reading e-books now to a degree that I never expected I would. It's literally changing my reading habits in just a couple of months.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the information and comparisons; I'll try to learn more about the Fairclough novel.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.