Thursday, October 19, 2023

Lone Women - Victor Lavalle

 


I find myself tiptoeing through my review of Victor Lavalle's Lone Women as I attempt to give a good feel for the book without spoiling it for potential readers. I have to start by stating that I knew next to nothing about the novel or its author before I brought it home with me from the library. That is how I began my reading despite having already read a brief review of the book in the October issue of Bookmarks magazine. Obviously, I must have been daydreaming while I read that review.

I mean, look at the cover. Doesn't that cover just scream historical fiction at the reader? I love historical fiction, and I've read a lot of it in recent months focusing on the period during which places like Montana, Nebraska, Wyoming, and the Dakotas were being settled by homesteaders brave enough to take on the elements found in those territories. Even after reading the brief disclosure inside the book jacket, I thought I knew exactly what I was getting from Lone Women. And I was wrong, very wrong.

Let's just say that I got my reading shock of the year when everything abruptly changed on page 81 of Lone Women and I realized that all bets were off. Ready or not, I was in for a memorable ride. I doubt that most readers are going to begin Lone Women as uniformed about the book or its author as I was, so I'm going to risk saying that the shock came from a sudden, dramatic genre-switch, a genre mash-up that works surprisingly well, as it turns out. So, on to the book now.

Adelaide Henry, a thirty-one-year-old black woman, is still single only because she's been largely confined to her family's California farm for her entire life. Her family has a secret it is so desperate to keep hidden from neighbors that the three of them only briefly ever see outsiders when they run in and out of church on Sunday mornings. But one morning in 1915, Adelaide has to go on the run after burning down the family farmhouse with her two dead parents inside. Carrying only a bag of six books and the heaviest steamer trunk imaginal with her, she flees to the isolation of a homestead in remote northern Montana, a state that does not distinguish by gender when granting government homestead to new settlers.

But as the book jacket hints, Adelaide is not really traveling alone. She carries a secret inside that heavy trunk, and she is prepared to guard that secret with her life. Unfortunately - or depending on whom you ask, perhaps very fortunately - for Adelaide, her new friends, and the townspeople of Big Sandy, the secret in the trunk is not going to consent to being kept under lock and key forever.

I can't tell you more than that despite not having any idea how this review will read to someone knowing little or nothing about Lone Women. I will add only that Victor Lavelle is a very good writer and stylist, that his "normalization" of the f-word in descriptive passages is both funny and effective, and that I now want to try something else of his. I will also say that Lavelle stretched my ability to suspend disbelief a tad over the line for a number of pages near the end of Lone Women

Most importantly, despite my rating of three stars for the novel, I will tell you that I'm happy that I read it because it was quite an experience.

Victor Lavelle jacket photo

12 comments:

  1. I agree that Lavelle is a very good writer. I didn't love this one, as you already know, but I ended up giving it 3 stars, too. I'm interested to see what else he's written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At various time while reading this one I figured I would rate it anywhere from a 2 to a 5. That's how much my mood changed while reading it; the more I had to stretch my suspension of belief, the lower the rating would go. The higher it went when the focus was more on the hardships of the times up there.

      Delete
  2. I've heard hints of this one, and wondered if I ought to try reading it. Sometimes that kind of surprise works great, and sometimes it might just throw me off entirely! Guess I don't know unless I attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even going to try to predict which of us will enjoy this one, Jeane. I have a feeling it depends on the reading mood you come to it with and whether or not it pushes any of the reading buttons that tend to irritate you. I'm still kind of surprised that it intrigued me so much.

      Delete
  3. I was intrigued when you mentioned this in your weekly reading post, but now I'm even more curious! It sounds totally different from books I gravitate toward, but I may just see if my library has a copy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different, for sure, JoAnn. Like I told Jeane, though, it's impossible for me to predict the probability that you'll like the book. It's just that weird.

      Delete
  4. I actually know next to nothing about it too, other than the woman is carrying a box with 'something' in it. I shall have to read it... my guess is that it becomes science fiction or horror but that's only a stab in the dark. I am 'very' intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing your taste for books that are a little bit different, Cath, I do think this is one you might want to at least take a look at so that you can decide for yourself.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sam, I can tell you that for me your review reads very nicely. And I started thinking have I ever had that experience with a book where around page 80, 100 etc I was completely shocked by the turn a book took? In this age of too many plot twists and unreliable narrators it's hard to shock me but maybe I don't read enough. Great review and you gave me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I think I was probably a little naive about this one by rashly assuming that you CAN judge a book by its cover. :-) Thanks for the kind words about the review. That was kind of a fine line to be walking, especially considering the later comments and my replies to those.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like quite an experience -- flipped your expectations completely. I had this one on my summer list but didn't get to it yet. A lot of readers gave it 3 stars ... but perhaps it's still worth the ride ... thru the Old West ... I think the cover has just a bit of horror to it - just something looks Off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth the ride, in my estimation, for the style alone. The language used is sometimes in explanatory descriptions (as opposed to dialogue) is as shocking sometimes as the plot line. I hadn't pegged the cover the way you see it, but looking back at it today I see why you feel that way.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.