Sunday, October 29, 2023

2023 Booker Prize: 13 Books to Consider (Part 1)

 I have been fascinated by the books formerly listed for consideration for the Booker Prize for a number of years now, and I've ended up reading many of the winners along with more than a few of the contenders. This year for some reason I can feel myself being sucked even deeper than normal into the whole Booker Prize process. I've read and reviewed only one of them so far, Old God's Time by Sebastian Barry, but I do have two more of the nominees on my desk that need to be read in the next two weeks. In addition, a few others from the list are on hold via my library system's website. All in all, thirteen books have been considered this year, with the winner to be announced on November 26. 

On my desk are: 

(Short ListWestern Lane is a coming-of-age novel by London author Chetna Maroo about an eleven-year-old girl who becomes obsessed with playing competitive squash after the death of her mother. The little girl becomes so obsessed by the game and her training exercises that she becomes a loner, preferring the court even to the company of her sisters and father.

 (Long List) Ayòbámi Adébáyò's A Spell of Good Things is set in Nigeria and is said to "shine light on Nigeria, its gapping class divide and the shared humanity that lives in between." The book jacket description is not very clear on plot details, but it seems to be a story of romantic obsession that catches a young woman and her family squarely in the middle of a violent clash between two very different families.

And these will be arriving relatively soon:

(Short List) If I Survive You is Jonathan Escoffery's collection of connected short stories about a family from Kingston, Jamaica that has fled that country for the relative safety of life in Miami. The family arrives in Florida shortly before Hurricane Andrew and the 2008 recession that would follow the storm. Despite being pegged by many as just another immigrant family in America living on government handouts, these guys are determined to make a success of their new life.

(Short List) I've seen more buzz (pun intended) about The Bee Sting than about any of the other 2023 Booker books. Lots of people seem to think that this is the book most likely to win the prize. The publisher throws around various phrases like: "tragicomic family saga," "tour de force," "dazzling story about the struggle to be good at the end of the world," to describe the novel.

(Long List) The House of Doors is based on real events from the 1920s and has author Somerset Maugham as one of its main characters. It looks to be a complicated, highly atmospheric, novel about colonialism, revolutionary times, personal betrayal, and ultimate redemption. Honestly, this one doesn't appeal to me much at first glance, but I look forward to getting my hands on it and giving it a try.

(Long List) Elaine Feeney's How to Build a Boat is a coming-of-age about a thirteen-year-old boy who lost his mother at his birth. Things Jamie O'Neill loves most in the world include: "the colour red, tall trees, rain that comes with wind, the curvature of certain objects, books with dust jackets, rivers, cats, and Edgar Allan Poe." Jamie sounds like the perfect bully's target, but his dreams help him to survive everything that life throws at him.

Counting Old God's Time, this will have given me a look at seven of the thirteen listed books for Booker 2023. I already know that at least two of the remaining six are not available through my library, but I haven't checked on the other four at all yet. My nightmare is that they all start showing up at the same time because all are limited to two-week checkout periods for now. I don't expect to read all thirteen even in the long run, but I do hope to get my hands on each of them long enough to come away from the whole process with an informed opinion about the 2023 Booker Prize.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, Thank you for alerting us to these books. If I Survive You by Jonathan Escoffery is a book I have heard about. It jumped out at me because it is set in Miami which is not far from me and the plot interested me too. Glad to see its been nominated for the Booker Prize and I will put it on my ever growing TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so many temptations out there that readers, no matter how avid they are, cannot possibly keep up. I can't believe I'm to the point of settling for "sampling" some new books instead of reading them all the way through. But hopefully, I want have to settle for that this year. The one you mention does sound interesting.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, I don't really follow the Booker Prize or what books get nominated for it or win. But it's always fun to see what you think of them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just impossible to keep up anymore, Lark. This is always one of the most diverse group of nominees (because of the old British Empire's wide reach) in the book prize world, so some really interesting stuff turns up every year.

      Delete
  3. I have If I survive you and House of Doors on my to finish and tbr list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch for your posts on them. I like the idea of a TF list in addition to a TBR. I need to start one of those to distinguish books I want to come back to from the ones I permanently give up on.

      Delete
  4. The only one of these I have heard of is Western Lane by Chetna Maroo. I would read it for sure because it is a novella. The others might be interesting. I will wait and see which of these you read and review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Western Lane is very "different" from anything I've ever read...hard to imagine a novella about squash because that's a sport I've never given a second thought to. It's definitely not real big in the South, at least among the blue collar crowd I grew up in.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy reading the mini reviews. All encapsulated into a small brief. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to do that, and I'm happy that you enjoy them for what they are.

      Delete
  6. For some reason Booker prize book don't often appeal to me. That could be because I don't pay a lot of attention to the list and don't always know a lot about the books on it. I suppose I think of myself as a genre reader and my sort of books don't usually appear on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many (any?) genre reads make it to the Booker List, especially in recent years that seem to emphasize "diversity" more than anything else. But that kind of diversity appeals to me in crime fiction, too, and seems to keep the genre very fresh, so it appeals to me in most of the Booker choices, too. The reading is a little slower, but I find it rewarding, and I enjoy all the conversation coming from the UK about the prize every year.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.