Monday, October 02, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week (October 1, 2023)

 It's hard for me to believe that it's already the first of October, but according to the title of this post, it must be true. It's a little cooler in this part of the country now, but we are still topping out at somewhere between 93 and 95 degrees every day, and we've had less than two total inches of rain since July 4. Let's just say it doesn't feel as if the seasons have changed even a little. 

I did finish three of the books I started last week with, and I managed to post reviews of all three: Half-Life of a Stolen Sister, Wifedom, and Don't Tell Anybody the Secrets I Told You. I think that's the first time all year long that I've read three books in a row authored by women - something I used to do fairly frequently - and two more of the three I'm carrying in to this week are also written by females: The Heron's Cry by Anne Cleeves and Rabbit Hole by Kate Brody.

The Heron's Cry, a 2021 book by Ann Cleeves, is the author's second novel in her "Two Rivers" series featuring Detective Matthew Venn. I've owned a copy for over a year, but it took the recent publication of the third series book to finally get me to pick this one up. I'm not taking to the Venn character as quickly as I did to Vera, or my favorite of them all, Jimmy Perez, so I haven't felt a great urgency to read it. But I'm over halfway through it right now, and Matthew Venn is finally starting to grown on me, I think.

Rabbit Hole by Kate Brody has both feet firmly planted in contemporary culture. It's the story of a young woman whose older sister disappeared several years earlier after attending a party with high school friends. Now their father has killed himself and the woman feels guilty about not sharing everything she knew during the initial investigation of her sister's disappearance. After she starts using the internet to begin her own investigation, things go off the rails and the only person she can trust is a true crime fanatic a decade younger than her.

For Between Them, Richard Ford takes the unusual approach of sharing his memories of his parents in two entirely separate sections, the first devoted to his father, the second to his mother. The two sections were written thirty years apart. As Ford puts it, "I was one person raised by two very different people.." I love this from Ford, too, "...entering the past is a precarious business, since the past strives but always half-fails to make us who we are." As with everything else I've read by Ford, I'm finding his prose to flow very smoothly for me.

Last Day on Earth is a compilation of short stories from Eric Puchner. I haven't started reading the stories yet, but at first glance they seem to share the theme of difficult coming-of-age experiences. For instance, one boy fears his mother might really be a robot, another is desperate to keep his mother from putting his father's favorite dogs "to sleep," and one story is about a world in which parents no longer have that role. This 2017 book will be my first experience with Eric Puchner's writing.

I hope to finish at least three of these during the week, so I'll likely be starting others along the way. The most likely ones to be chosen are ones I've mentioned before like Harbor Lights, the James Lee Burke short story collection; The Lemon Man, an Australian crime novel by Keith Bruton; and Peter Skinner's coming-of-age novel Full Beaver Moon. I'm also considering a copy of Stephen King's Holly which was sent to me by someone wondering how I would react to what is said by many to be King's least disguised political rant to date. I'm not sure that I can get through it if what I've read about it is true, but I'm really curious to see if King may have jumped the shark (he has come dangerously close to doing that before) with this one, so we'll see. Maybe what I've read and been told about the novel is wrong.

Have a great reading week, y'all. Can't wait to talk with everyone during the week ahead.

19 comments:

  1. I am being like you lately. This year we pick up our granddaughter at the library twice a week, and of course I get there early so I can "look" around. My eyes are too big for my stomach and I always bring home books, which means I am reading a bunch of books at one time, which I hardly ever do! And mine are a mix of three men and two women authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Nan. I think curiosity is what separates people in terms of both health and happiness once they reach their seventies or so. The most curious people I know are also the happiest people I know. Sounds like a nice mix you have going. Good luck on the new approach; it does begin to feel really comfortable to read that way in a relatively short while.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I've decided to go to the Texas A&M vs. Alabama game on Saturday, so that day is spoken for. May not get through as many as I thought I probably would this week.

      Delete
    2. Fun that you get to go to the game! I hope your team wins. :D

      Delete
    3. Thanks. Even if we don't win, it's always wild to be caught up in the emotions of a crowd of close to 106,000 people. It's the game of the year (to this point) for both teams, so it should be exciting.

      Delete
  3. Between 93 and 95 sounds absolutely awful to me! I start to wilt when it gets over 80.

    I think that Ann Cleeves series is set in North Devon? We used to live up there and only live 20 miles or so away now. I tried the first book and it didn't suit me somehow, which is a real shame. I like the sound of Rabbit Hole though. Interesting discussion about King's work. I wasn't very much aware of it all so must look it up. I read very few of his books but do actually have one on my library pile at the moment, Mr. Mercedes. Will see how that goes as I'm rather allergic to political rants or constant sly digs throughout a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just had one of our hottest summers in my memory, Cath, with days approaching 110 degrees and several weeks in a row that averaged well over 100 degrees. Honestly, it was much rougher on the plants than on me, though.

      I'm almost done with the Ann Cleeves book, and wondering if her approach to this new character is a little different from the one I grew so comfortable with Vera and Jimmy Perez. She doesn't seem to give her lead character, Matthew Venn, a whole lot more page-time than she does some of her secondary recurring characters. I haven't developed a lot of empathy for the character despite his horrible upbringing and his outsider status on the force and in the area. I won't be in a particular hurry, I don't think, to read book three.

      King has gone off the deep end politically, in my estimation. It's one thing to vocalize strongly felt political opinions. It's another entirely, to show such obvious contempt and hatred for anyone who might not entirely agree with him. He's wealthy en9ugh now that he has no fear or regret that he's pushed a lot of readers away, I guess. He's really out of control on Twitter and has been for the last six or seven years. I do not enjoy reading the work of people who expose their childish pettiness the way that King glories in exposing his own.

      Delete
    2. Finally going to be a lot cooler starting on Saturday night, Kath, with highs in the mid-seventies. That's a drop of over 30 degrees in about four or five weeks.

      I'm surprised that several people are saying that they are struggling more than in the past to get into an Ann Cleeves series character. Venn is just such a cold fish, that he blends in the story more than a couple of the major side characters. Probably shouldn't happen that way.

      The "Holly" character that is the title of this new one was a side character in Mr. Mercedes, if I understand correctly. I keep looking at the book as it sits on top of my desk, but I'm not awfully sure that I'm ready to subject myself to it yet.

      Delete
  4. That still sounds really hot to me! We'll be in CT for the rest of the year and are enjoying daytime highs in the 70s this week with 50s at night... just about perfect. Looks like you've got some good reading this week. I'm especially interested in the Ford memoir. That's been on my list for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we will get a few days of relief starting this weekend with lows around 60 and highs in the mid 70s. That will almost be a shock to the system. Looks like perfect weather for Saturday's game against Alabama. I'm really looking forward to that.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sam,

    Rabbit Hole by Kate Brody has caught my attention. It's a mystery in which the main character deals with a tragedy that happened years ago and I enjoy true crime shows and the world of internet true crime podcasters which I think this book also touches on.

    And I must read Richard Ford's memoir Between Them and reread his collection of short stories Rock Springs which I have such good memories of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Rabbit Hole up this afternoon, Kathy. It's a pretty scary look at the behavior that some of the truly fanatic fans of the genre can get caught up in. All very vicious and loaded with damning conspiracy theories, etc. I might write my review this evening...letting it settle for a bit before doing that.

      Ford's memoir is proving to be pretty powerful. His father died right after Ford's sixteenth birthday, so the relationships he had with his parents as individuals are very different from each other.

      Delete
  6. I also have mixed feelings about this Venn series. Matthew is so tormented and, although it is understandable, he seems sort of a one-note character. I think this is the one where his partner makes such an effort hosting dinner for Matthew's mother? The whole depiction seemed plausible but sad. I stopped reading the Perez series when she killed off a prominent character - decided I didn't like the rest of them enough to continue. I do like the Vera Stanhope series, which I have been mostly listening to on audiobook (I like how the narrator pronounces it Stan-up).

    I haven't read Wifedom but it was the start of a recent 6 Degrees, which might amuse you: https://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.com/2023/09/02/six-degrees-of-separation-from-wifedom-to-becky/

    I am going with my brother's family to see Boston College play at West Point this weekend. Michie Stadium is one of the great places to see a football game - dress parade in the morning, the most elaborate tailgating you can imagine, and the game ball is parachuted down! I just hope it doesn't rain.

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit on my problem with the Venn character. I called him a "cold fish" in a reply earlier, but I think it's the fact that he is so much a "one-note" character that really bothers me most about him. He seems to want to do better, but he does nothing to change himself or his mood and approach to his job or social life. The plot is the one you describe. I'm almost done with the book...another 40 or so pages to go...and I'm disappointed that I feel pretty much the same about the series as I did when I started this second book.

      I'll head over to your link later this evening. Thanks for sharing it.

      I would absolutely love to see a football game at West Point one day. I was in the army for a while, and that's always the military team that I pull for to this day. I would imagine BC must be the favorite in this one...have fun.

      Delete
  7. Your weather sounds about the same as ours here in the Phoenix area. It's definitely cooler in the mornings and evenings, but our daytime temps are still hovering around 90. I'm all about the cooler weather, but I can't wait until about November when it's cool outside all the time. That's always nice.

    RABBIT HOLD looks like one I would like. I like Cleeves, but I'm behind in reading her. She publishes too fast for me. It's hard to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally cooling down here, Susan. I hope you guys get some relief soon. I'm always kind of shocked during those few days each year that it's hotter in Houston than in Phoenix. That happened for about a week when we peaked out this summer...just seems weird.

      I do think you'd like Rabbit Hole. I just finished the e-book galley version, and my Kindle didn't format it properly, so it was kind of hard to concentrate at times. Would love to see the finished version. Cleeves does seem to produce new books at a steady clip. I've still got half the Vera series to go and the third one in the Venn series. I do wish she would produce more Shetland books, though.

      Delete
  8. In the Santa Barbara area, September and October are usually hot. Sometimes even into November. But this year September has been coolish, very mild weather. However tomorrow and Friday are supposed to go up to 83, which feels pretty hot here.

    I would like to read the first book in Ann Cleeves latest series and see what I think. I did look at the book sale for that one and other books in her series but had no luck. I will keep looking.

    Richard Ford is another author I have planned to read but never followed through on it. Maybe some day. That short story book sounds good; I will wait and see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eighty-three does seem warm for your side of the country. Is it humid, too...that's a bad temperature multiplier to deal with.

      I'd be curious to hear what you think of the character, too. I've been surprised that several people have comment here and in other places that they are not warming up to the character either. So far, no one has very enthusiastically endorsed Venn.

      Ford is very good, but his Sportswriter books probably don't appeal to everyone. My problem with that series is that they came so far apart that I've lost many of the character details before reading the next. You might want to take a look at his novel called "Canada." I enjoyed that one a lot as I recall. It's about a 15-year-old kid suddenly out on his own after his parents are arrested for bank robbery. It was written in 2012.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.